1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the greatest players ever on one team.....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by brahma rocket, Aug 3, 2000.

1. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

pf:bill russell
    sf [​IMG]scar robertson
    c :wilt chamberlain
    sg:michael jordan
    pg:magic johnson

substitutes:

larry bird
    julius erving
    bob cousy
    kareem abdul jabbar
    hakeem olajuwon
    jerry west
    isiah thomas

injured reserve
    karl malone
    elgin baylor
    shaquille oneal

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think you need to switch Bill Russell and Karl Malone. Ive heard the whole RUssell was a great role player, knew how to win argument, but I just dont buy it. If KArl Malone was on that Celtics team they would have won just as many rings if not more. Malone is a superstar and the focus of his team. This doesnt mean he doesnt know how to be a great role player, or an awesome rebounder. ANd I hate the Jazzholes and Malone especially, but he should be starting in my mind.

------------------
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women!

3. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

JayZ,
    I'll try to clear all my bias and pre-concieved notions on Malone, but I have to disagree with you here. Malone has had a great, great career no doubt. Of course, so has Russell. The thing that sets them apart is the fact that Russell delivered in the clutch, he turned his game onto a whole new level when it mattered, something only an elite few have done. For that same reason I believe Hakeem has been a greater player than the Mailman. Although Karl is not necessarily a choker (although he has choked a few times during his career), in my opinion, he just isn't that player who could lead and execute the way Russell did for more than a decade. Perhaps thats one of the reasons his fingers are rather naked looking and Russel's bare enough attire to support a jewelry store - though I'm sure Dream and MJ had something to do with that as well. [​IMG]

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Kelvin Cato
    Kenny Thomas
    Walt Williams
    Shandon Anderson
    Steve Francis

------------------
    Dubyah: Because the picture on the newspaper. It just seems so un-American to me, the picture of the guy storming the house with a scared little boy there. I talked to my little brother, Jeb—I haven't told this to many people. But he's the governor of—I shouldn't call him my little brother--my brother, Jeb, the great governor of Texas.
    Jim Lehrer: Florida.
    Dubyah: Florida. The state of the Florida.
    —The NewsHour With Jim Lehrer, April 27, 2000

Dubyah Speaks.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I actually think the reason Bill Russells fingers are full of rings is because for part of the time there were like 7 other teams or something (and even when there were more the talent of those extra teams wasnt great) and that Celtics team had a lot of great players. I know Utah has also had Stockton and Hornacek, but compared to the competition, that Celtics team had most of the best players in the game. The same cant be said of the JAzz team, especially as MJ was on the Bulls, Hakeem on the Rockets, Barkley on the Suns, Payton on the Sonics, Robinson on the Spurs, Ewing on the Knicks, Isiah and the Pistons, for some time Magic and Larry Bird, and also Shaq. There have been a lot of superstar players making the competition very difficult for teams. What the BUlls did was absolutely amazing, but MJ is probably the greatest of all time.

Now, Im not old enough to argue whether Russell was clutch or not or to debate his leadership abilities. But as much as I hate him, Malone is definitely clutch and certainly a leader, especially on the court. I mean the man is suppossed to be in the declining days of his career, but he still puts up near MVP numbers and pured in 50 points during a playoff game last year. And the JAzzhole did make it to the Finals, what, twice, before running into MJ. Arguable, you take the bulls out of the equation and Malone would have 2 championship rings. I know we cant just take the Bulls out of the equation but if there was a team comparable to the Bulls back then you cant argue that Russell would have more than half of those rings.

The role players on the JAzz are just not as good as the role players and other stars on the Celtics team in comparison to the rest of the league. Karl Malones career stats are simply amazing, and definitely heads and shoulders above Russells and hes not done yet. FOr him to put up those numbers against the stellar PF's of todays game, especially in the West says a lot. I beleif he deserves the starting spot. [​IMG]

DAMMIT. Why have I complimented Karl Malone for this long.

I take it back.....KArl MAlone sucks [​IMG]

------------------
    Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women!

6. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

I see your point JayZ and its well taken. I too, am too young to have ever watched Russell play. But through countless stories, articles, witnesses and some video, I do have a general understanding of what a great player he was. I think part of the reason why his accomplishments are dimmed is because most of us fans never saw him play, and of those who did, many of them can only remember his last couple of seasons.

As for Malone, yes, I'm sure the level of competition was considerably higher to what Russell faced. But keep one thing in mind, he was the only player to not only stand up to Wilt, but many times outplay him as well. And in many people's eyes, Chamberlin is the most dominating player of all time. But to bring Dream back to the discussion for a second, Hakeem wasn't exactly surrounded by legendary players during the Rockets unforgettable 1st championship. Sure, Ellie, Cassell, Smith, Maxwell and Horry are nice players but legends they are not. While Malone has benefited to have played with one of the best Point Guards of all time and arguabley the best play-maker in history for his entire career, not to mention some other good role players as well. Of course, we're not comparing Dream to Malone, (though Olajuwon can play PF as Russell can, and you have Malone starting in front of both) but what I'm trying to say is that there have been other superstars that have been to the promised land without a star-studded supporting cast.

btw, I know your not a dreaded JazzHole, and your just backing up your belief. Its all good. [​IMG]

Azim da Dream

------------------
    We don't live for the destination. We live for the journey.

[This message has been edited by Azim da Dream (edited August 03, 2000).]