1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Decline of Tony Parker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Feb 26, 2015.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

This ties into the overall struggles of the Spurs, but it is definitely worth examining on its own.

The 32 year old former Finals MVP is currently putting up (outside of his rookie year) career lows in MPG, FGA, FG%, 2P%, FTA, TRB, AST and PPG. I encourage you guys to look at the numbers to see the precipitous decline.

He has already missed 14 games, by some accounts is not in particularly good shape and has definitely lost some of his speed advantage.

Parker was supposed to carry the torch with Kawhi, but it appears as if the writing is on the wall.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Obligatory "don't count out the spurs" throwaway.

But seriously, it's time to count out the spurs.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Good. I hope the Spurs fall apart and get spanked in the playoffs. These factors could lead them to decide to go all in with Kawhi.

4. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

32 is still considered young, but dude is in the league for 15 years?

Wear and tear of NBA is strong, just look at Dwight Howard.

5. watashi315

watashi315 Member

It's about time! He's been playing at a high level for so long and for the past few years playing against these superstar PGs in the West, it'll definitely take an effect on you. You may be 32 years in age, but PG is a position that needs a lot of quickness these days.

6. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Can't believe it took till 2015 for them to finally hit the wall. Spurs been winning in the west since I was effing 10 years old.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He started in the euroleague before 18 right?

How many extra seasons do those playoff appearances add?

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

7,000 minutes in the playoffs, 32,000 in the regular season.

So he has played an equivalent of 3 regular seasons minutes. But playoff minutes are way harder.

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

one of his teammate's wife keeping him tired

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great! I am looking forward to the day the Spurs are devoid of star players and wallowing around in the lottery.

1 person likes this.
  11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I keep hearing Spurs fans talking about how fat he got lol. I haven't watched them much, tbh.

12. showa13

showa13 Member

Although it's still too early to count out the Spurs(especially with the season Duncan is having) Tony Parker looks like he launched over the hill and is in a serious decline. But for them to go anywhere in the playoffs they either need Parker to get it together or Mills to get fully healthy for the post season. I'd still be weary of playing them in the first round(although the Beard is a certified Spurs killer)

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Who? Tony Porker?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Any chance the rockets make a run at Kawhi? That guy would make us unstoppable.

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, Parker is an old 32. It's not just the number of years in the league, but also all of those long playoff runs. The same thing happened to Kobe. A couple years ago at age 34, his body started to break down on him and he's had season-ending injuries each of the last 3 years.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Not sure he's worth it, Spurs have a way of bringing out the best in players...dudes like Richard Jefferson were pretty much washed up then suddenly became decent players in Spurs' system. If Kawhi went to another team I wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly goes from Finals MVP to Parsons' level.

17. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Parker has hammy issues. If he can shake that before the playoffs they'll be fine.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lebron has played 41000+ minutes in the regular season + playoffs so I think TP has some thing in him. I am not coming to count out the spurs anymore. TP can come back.

19. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Hate to be that guy but that's exactly what didn't happen. Richard Jefferson went to the spurs and then people realized he was washed up. His career average before going to the spurs was 18ppg. In SAS he averaged 11ppg.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Eh, still bet teams want to avoid to play them in the playoffs at all costs. Not as good as in recent years in the regular season, but no one should doubt that Parker, Duncan, Kawhi, Diaw, etc lead by Pops will make a serious run in the post-season. Their talent, teamwork and great coaching fully comes into play in a best of 7 series.