1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do good players make bad coaches and bad players make good coaches?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mig0s, May 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mig0s

mig0s Member

No one can coach that knick's scrub roster

2. thedude077

thedude077 Member

But hey, if Phil Jackson is that guru coach who people keep blabbing about, maybe he can turn things around over there? Seriously if he's really a "genius" that makes players better and gets the best of them, why not coach the Knicks?

3. Rhay1

Rhay1 Member

I've always felt great players don't make good coaches. ie. Jordan, Bird, Majic. They are so focused and can see things developing on the floor (someone moving to an open spot before the spot is open for a pass) that no one else sees. It's second nature to them, and it's in rhythm. They can't understand how someone else can't see it. For Dream, what he did on the court was so smooth, but when Howard tries the same move (or most people) it looks awkward, forced. I bet he gets frustrated working with Howard...

I think the overachievers, the guys who were called too slow, too short, or unskilled but made it and was successful. Those who could make that shot, free throw, pass (hockey assist) or rebound with 2.1 seconds remaining not once but time and time again. Always in the right spot (like Big Shot Bob for any team he was on) That guy, the glue guys makes the best coaches.

IMO.

Hmm, could Horry make a good coach?

4. Rhay1

Rhay1 Member

To me, Phil is a lot like Pat Riley. They can take over a loaded team with chemistry problems and make a tweak here, hand the team a motivational book to read in the off season, and take them to the promised land. But a lousy team, a team that requires actual building through the lottery?

5. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No I understood the topic just fine but modified the wording of the main contention to make a different (and IMO a more accurate) point.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Kinda what I was thinking. Guys who are so athletically or otherwise gifted that the game came easy could succeed without mastering the dynamics of the game. Guys who had no such gifts had to be smarter, work harder, and understand better just to keep up with the gifted players. That's probably a better skill-set to base a coaching career on than physical prowess and innate basketball talent.

7. celebrevida

celebrevida Member