1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you and your significant other tip differently?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Do you and your significant other tip differently? And does it cause issues for you?

I usually pay for meals when we go out (we have one big account anyway), and I'm pretty generous as long as the service is good. But when she signs for the bill, it's a strict 15%.

2. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I usually consult with my SO when tipping. He's been a waiter (I've worked fast food) and he's a much better judge of service than I am. I've learned to leave around 15% for good service, more for better, and 10% for bad service.

3. Isabel

Isabel Member

A little bit. He's usually about 15 percent and will go well under for bad service; I start with 15 percent for bad service and go up as it gets better. I guess I'm the one with the ultimate control of it, since we put our spending money together every month and I pay for things out of that.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

$2 minimum, then 10%-15%, depending on the service. Yes, it causes issues, I don't care how much it is, if they deserve it, they get it; Mrs. SwoLy doesn't want to tip much. I usually will try to reward the waitstaff depending on how well they followed requests, checking up on us, etc. :eek: We usually agree on how well we were served, but we also disagree on how much it should be.

5. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I'm a great tipper.........when the service is good of course. My wife is also a good tipper. When the service is bad, we both agree if the person should get one or how much.

6. MoBalls

I'm sure the ladies at Taquerias Arandas appreciate you.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:mad: That's the last time I take you to such fine restaurant, joto. [​IMG]

8. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

We both believe in performance tipping. In Canada, waitresses usually make slightly above the minimum wage plus tips...so I don't feel bad if I give a crappy tip for crappy service. Besides, if they wanted more money then they should have done a good job.

0-5% for crappy service.
    10% for below average service.
    15% for service as expected.
    20% for better.

I hate tipping though...it doesn't even make sense to me that our society expects you to pay extra for a service you deserve to receive anyways. You don't just go to a restaurant for food, you go because they make it and serve it to you. You're already paying more than it would cost at home - so why should they get 15-20% beyond their prices just because they do their jobs properly? And don't even get me started on tipping for haircuts...

(note: it might be different if the waitress is getting $2/hour - but that's not how it is where i live)

9. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I tip much more at cheap places.
    She tips more at expensive places.

I've learned not to concern myself how well someone else tips if they're picking up the tab!

10. MoBalls

Haha.......check yer email.

11. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

My wife is very generous to religious organization. I'm the opposite.

I am generous though to waiters, and she is consistely mrs 10%.

12. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

why do people tip 10% for bad service?

If the service is bad the tip should be very very small or none.

13. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Because of tip-shares... Because even if the waiter did a bad job, that doesn't mean that the hostess or the bus-boy did a bad job too. So a 10% tip would go to the other people at the restaurant, and not necessarily the waiter.

14. no_answer

no_answer Member

We agree to 15% most of the time, more if they're sexy. j/k
    When they're bad, he always makes me fill it out because I give them what they're due :D

15. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I could care less about tip shares. If the restaurant wants the high tip, they need to realize it's all about presentation - so hire good waiters/waitresses.

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

women tip cheaper, it's a common thing

17. Pete the Cheat

I tip 20% standard. my mom was a waiter growing up and my wife managed a restaurant for a few years, so I have a healthy respect for how underpaid waiters are.

if it's bad service I have no problem leaving a dollar or nothing. I ussually have to wrestle the check away from my wife, because she doesn't have to heart to do it...

I guess it's either 20% or nothing as far as I am concerned...

18. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

example: $40 dinner, I would tip $7-8, she would tip $6-7

19. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

Not true, I tip much more than my husband as a rule. 20% rounded up is the norm for me. 15% if the service is bad.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

not saying it was for every woman alive, but in general women tend to be more frugal on tipping