1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

No. I just don't think WR2 is a team priority; I'd rank these needs higher (in no paticular order):
    QB
    TE
    LG, RT
    Wes Welker type
    DT
    OLB
    ILB
    CB
    S
    Overall team speed

Plus, again - people need to stop underrating/forgetting about DeAndre Hopkins. They don't need to spend any resources - especially multiple resources - on a WR when they've got him.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Oops forgot about QB.

3. speed star

speed star Member

Based off Hey Now!'s list of needs and NFL.com's free agent list, these are some FAs I would like the Texans to try to bring in.

TE - Jordan Cameron
    OL - Orlando Franklin/Dan Connolly
    WR- Torrey Smith/Jeremy Maclin/Wes Welker/Eddie Royal
    DT - Barry Cofield/Terrance Knighton/Kevin Vickerson/Dan Williams
    OLB - Dwight Freeney/Dan Skuta/Malcolm Smith
    ILB - Rey Maualuga/David Harris
    CB - Perrish Cox/Antonio Cromartie/Chris Culliver/Sterling Moore/Tramon Williams
    S - Mike Adams/Tyvon Branch/Sergio Brown/Stevie Brown/Rahim Moore

I doubt we will sign any players from my list but I tried to have a mix of veteran value/depth type players and players looking to get paid.

4. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I wonder how much of an opportunity, if any, Devier Posey will get this year.

Nuk as WR1 and if signed you got Hartline as your slot guy. Posey could be a nice downfield threat on the other side. I always wondered if Posey's lack of play last season was really just a numbers thing or if he was just in BoB's dog house.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hartline will take less $ to play w/ a QB such as <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Patriots?src=hash">#Patriots</a> Brady, will require more $$ to play w/ a <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Browns?src=hash">#Browns</a> McCown or <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> Mallet</p>&mdash; Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) <a href="https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/573589195324833793">March 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If we're going to get into a bidding war for Brian freakin' Hartline, I say we just preserve our dignity and move on...

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, there's too many options out there to get bogged down in a bidding war for a guy of that caliber.

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yeah there's no point in wasting cap space on a bidding war like this.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

What if he gets bid up to $4 million per year?

10. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I think we are disciplined enough to not overpay for mediocre talent. See, McCown from last year.

Now on the Reem front....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Spoke w <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> FA CB Kareem Jackson -did not want to get into free agency but said &quot;i think we are doing things the right way, MORE <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/abc13?src=hash">#abc13</a></p>&mdash; David Nuño (@DavidNunoABC13) <a href="https://twitter.com/DavidNunoABC13/status/573602792721412096">March 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kareem Jackson said&quot;i think we are doing things the right way, I think we took some strides and steps in the right direction&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/texans?src=hash">#texans</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/abc13?src=hash">#abc13</a></p>&mdash; David Nuño (@DavidNunoABC13) <a href="https://twitter.com/DavidNunoABC13/status/573603040613158912">March 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Getting Kareem back has to be priority number one.

I'm surprised we are hearing nothing on Brooks Reed. Isn't he a free agent? He's not great but he's decent for a couple million. Would like to keep him.

I have to believe Hartline would be coming in to make Martin expendable. No way, in my opinion, you try and sell the fan base on cutting the best player in franchise history for that. But then again, O'Brien has some balls.

My hope is we resign Kareem, resign Reed, trade our fourth round pick for Brandon Marshall, sign someone like Cecil Shorts for the slot, sign someone like Gresham at TE, then draft a CB or Nose in the first, and the other in the second. Get an inside linebacker in one of the first three rounds, too.

This is all assuming we get Mallett back, too.

I'm a dreamer, but that seems realistic to me...

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You can't think about it that way. Nobody's going to pass that test.

One, you have to forget about what Andre had been and accept what he is now, and how much money he was making for what he was. Two, you have to look at the big picture and where they end up spending that money which in all likelihood is not going to be receiver. You can't say "those dumbasses, getting rid of AJ for Hartline" and ignore any improvements we might make in other areas using the money we freed up.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

But many will. The offense is very obviously going to look radically different this year. There's really not going to be a 1:1 comparison. I think BOB's going to prioritize getting a big, athletic TE and a durable, catch-everything slot receiver.

And as such, it's looking more and more like O'Brien was being completely honest with AJ; the second WR is not going to be a priority here any more, much like NE and, albeit in a much different system, the height of the Kubiak era.

As others have speculated, if the idea is to have a burner opposite Hopkins, I wonder if Posey is in the mix? If you look at the '07 Patriots (BOB's first year there), Welker caught 112; Moss 98; Faulk (RB) 47; Stallworth 46 (didn't he tell AJ he might only catch 40 balls?), Watson 36.

This was obviously pre-Gronk/Hernandez - they caught 170 passes in 2011 when BOB was the OC.

14. mario_v

mario_v Member

I drafted hartline on my fantasy team a couple of years ago. He sucks. He's kevin Walter 2.0.

15. mario_v

mario_v Member

Andre still has a lot left in the tank. A big part of AJ having a down year was due to Fitzpatrick's ineptitude at QB.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I look at it that way too. He was showing Andre Johnson respect by not lying to him and being blunt about it. Andre's skills are in decline and he's not the WR he once was, he's not the best WR on the team anymore so if he were to stay around he'd have to take a back seat because that's what his remaining skillset called for.

Obviously he didn't like that, but I think it would have been worse if they had just lied to him and pretended like he was still a top tier WR or that they were planning on using him as one.

17. Remii

Remii Member

What's funny about this is that it's Hartline saying it... The more talented players may say the same. The Texans may have to overpay to get certain players they want.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Vince Wilfork just got released! Another old vet with Bill O'Brien ties. Wonder what he's up to right this moment.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Hartline? Let's get an explosive wr next to Hopkins not another possession guy

20. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I'm sure that's in the works through the draft, but you still need at least 3 wideouts, and as of right now we've only got 1. Picking him up wouldn't hurt, so long as he's pretty cheap.