1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Myers Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by NewRoxFan, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is Pancakes reporting it? Because he once said we cut TJ Yates. A few days later... we traded him to the Falcons. I don't trust Pancakes.

2. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

[​IMG]

Might have to repost this picture in another week :(

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

times there are a changin...

but yeah, he was a pros pro

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I SEVERELY HOPE SO

Rocket River
    Games are won . . .IN DA TRENCHES!

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He was a great leader for our line.

-Tex Trenches

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

He WAS good for a while and then the Line coach didn't trust Jones in there enough... maybe now it's the time. :cool:

Watch the Cincinnati game and how he can't stop the rush. Two points cost us the momentum in that game. Completely deflated. Mallett was running for his life. Pressure from everywhere but Myers didn't help much. :eek:

Thank you, Chris!

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

I wish the Texans had just done the same with Andre Johnson.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They didn't want Myers to take a pay cut.

They tried to get that with Johnson by suggesting a reduced role. He rejected it, we move on. Do not see why there's this much drama.

9. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

really liked Myers. PFF ranked him the 3rd best Center in the NFL last year..hope Jones is up to the task. I'm also counting on the Texans drafting another OL possibly in the 1st round.

So it looks like: Brown XSF Jones Brooks and mystery RT? Newton was ok last year...hope XSF is ready to go. I actually like Jones. The guy has moxy. Hope he can step it up in his 'natural' center position.

This is Bob's team now, y'all! (I keep hearing that in the media)

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

There's very obviously a lot of deeply ingrained anger in too many sports fans... This whole situation seems fairly fundamental: he is no longer the best WR on the team, let alone the 2nd best WR in football (which is what he was being paid). As such, the Texans were not going to pay him $10.5MM; at the same time, they weren't going to ask him to take a paycut for the same amount of work, which is fair. So they asked him about taking a reduced role, which would have obviously been a prelude to a reduced salary, but he refused and so they agreed to part ways.

The only "bad guy" here is the NFL's salary cap which, unfortunately, makes keeping guys like Andre Johnson here for his entire career a near impossiblity. Peyton Manning is a Bronco, guys... This is not a terribly uncommon situation.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I get all that, understand the move in its entirety... I even think the people complaining understand why the move was made.

I just don't understand the "but why didn't the Texans handle it better... or why were they saying these things... or I really just want him to be happy, and I'll root for him wherever he goes" rhetoric.

Houston is soft enough as a sports town as is... we don't need to add hormonally emotional and bipolar to the list as well.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Well, 9 non-winning seasons in 13 years doesn't really build a lot of trust nor an outpouring of love for your franchise so it's not surprising its best individual player is deemed better than the organization.

I've been posting in this forum for... geez, way too long, and it finally dawned on me a few years ago that a vast majority of fans are singularly focused on the Texans and don't really have a larger, league-wide perspective; or, if they do - it's a very narrow one filtered through the lens of ESPN. You can see it leak into a lot of the complaints about the team; too many fans are convinced that the mistakes/decisions the Texans make are the exclusive domain of this bumbling, stumbling organization when, in reality, they're fairly common across the NFL.

Again, the team's track record doesn't help - but there are very few teams that manage to successfully navigate the NFL's treacherous landscape - and even those that do (like the Patriots) are helped tremendously by having a once-in-a-generation QB cover up what would otherwise be some glaring mistakes. You think the Texans draft poorly? Take a look at New England's draft record.

I don't think the Texans are an exemplary organization by any stretch. I think they've had some rotten luck (or... Luck - they get placed in the same division as Peyton Manning reaching his prime and then they FINALLY outlast him and... the Colts fall backwards into Andrew Luck. That's just... unfair.) and they have made some poor decisions. But the sample size is small and thus, the mistakes, etc., are amplified. Plus, I've been arguing for years that the shadow of the Oilers still exists, too - so they're living down all of their infamy, as well.

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Saw that live. I still have nightmares.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

How do you suggest a paycut? Just ask for it! Or cut/trade him. I don't think they wanted Andre anymore. If what we've heard is accurate then it's like forcing an employee to leave.

15. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Who Ben Jones

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Texans have expressed interest in free agent center Chris Myers. He is considering a number of options.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/608086862251487232" data-datetime="2015-06-08T20:43:00+00:00">June 8, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He would be decent depth if he comes for or near the minimum.

18. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

must be a back up plan to XSF not being able to cut it on the left side.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why would that be the case? Isn't it more likely that he'd just be veteran depth at center if he's cheap enough? No one wants to see Myers actually play unless there's an injury.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

No one wants to see him play? It's not like he is good, but I don't know how anyone could have any confidence in Ben Jones at this point. If he comes back, I am certain he will be the starter