1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets acquire KJ McDaniels for Isaiah Canaan, second round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 19, 2015.

?

Do you like the trade for the Rockets of Isaiah Canaan and a 2nd round pick for KJ McDaniels?

1. YES

333 vote(s)
    74.0%
  2. NO

117 vote(s)
    26.0%
  1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Rockets probably have to make a decision "right away" on Brewer. If Brewer wants "multiple years" the Rockets might have to punt on that and just renounce him, get under the cap and use that room for Llull and KJ.

2. Fantasma Negro

Good luck with the Lakers next year dude

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

THIS EXACT SCENARIO IS WHY WE TRADED FOR KJ.

-Llull is staying in Europe......i.e. MLE is now available.
    -Brewer is looking for a multi year deal, which could be a non-starter since we want to make a run at Durant.

Morey might get hammer today, but this team looks stacked with talent and depth (other than guard)

Guards: Harden, Johnson
    Wings: Ariza, KJ, Dekker
    Bigs: Dwight, DMo, TJones, Smith (maybe), Harrell

All we need is a few minor deals to add quality (but not necessarily all-star) guards. We've got non-guaranteeds and picks to make it happen.

4. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

We're just one above average PG away from a true shot at the 'ship. Like you said, he doesn't need to be an all-star. Just a smart PG who understands what it takes to win a championship. You really want a veteran at this point. Grant, Llull, or Tyus are all talented and could've definitely helped the team, but they were unknown commodities.

Not sure if Stuckey is the answer either unless we do resign Bev. If we can manage to have Bev, Stuckey, KJ, and Smoove next year we'll be all right. I'm not very sure on the financials of it all, but if that's possible and that goes down, then I'll happy with the offseason.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

QFT. I've been saying this for months. If Llull comes over (he won't now), or if Brewer re-signs (no guarantee of that), people would forever criticize the Rockets for making the McDaniels trade.

But having this OPTION was the entire point of the trade.

For all we know, K.J. will get a ludicrous offer that the Rockets (of their OWN volition) choose not to match, but that won't change that the McDaniels trade put them in the position to be the ones who get to decide whether they keep him or not.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Credit to you for pounding the drum......you're exactly right.

Frankly, I'm giddy over the prospect of keeping Dekker and KJ long term. I feel like we just traded for KJ all over again.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good way of looking at it. I tend to think even if KJ isn't guaranteed a huge role, they should still look to resign him. Getting him resigned on a decent contract makes him an asset.

If KJ gets an offer larger than his designated portion of the MLE than that team that does that is crazy and you bid him good luck.

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

I didnt think he could sign a larger contract than the MLE. Am I wrong?

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

He can get a contract similar to the ones Morey gave to Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin. MLE in the first two years, with a spike starting in Year 3.

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Why would we not match now, looking at the contracts wings are getting today. If that dude from Dallas is getting $40M you surely lock up KJ on a MLE deal.

11. Zergling

Zergling Member

12. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Whoa, 10ppg on 36% shooting with little else. How could we let this guy go?!?!?!?

13. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Is this the same guy is 36 FG%?

14. Rocket_Man_2.0

I rather have Isaiah Canaan..at least he can shoot!:rolleyes:

15. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

not worth upping man...