1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bank of America to Charge for Debit Cards

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by K LoLo, Sep 29, 2011.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

All major credit cards don't charge interest if you pay off your balance every month. With online payments, you can also pay by credit card and then log in once the charge is posted and pay it off immediately. We use rewards program credit cards to pay for almost everything we do and turn right around and pay them off.

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

been reading that BoA has been blocking mint.com. so, if you're using mint to track your spending you're SOL.

3. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

November 5 - Bank Transfer Day

http://consumerist.com/2011/10/november-fifth-is-bank-transfer-day.html

Remember, remember, the fifth of November, because that's when "Bank Transfer Day" is happening. By that date, all participants will have closed their big retail bank accounts and put their money in a local non-profit credit union or local or regional community bank.

"If the 99% removes our funds from the major banking institutions to non-profit credit unions on or by this date," says the Facebook event page, "we will send a clear message to the 1% that conscious consumers won't support companies with unethical business practices."

To find a credit union near you, check out findacreditunion.com.

LINK TO FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE:
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=281139538577206

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm considering this.

However, I think that if your CU breaks the 10b cap, it is in the same boat as the banks in terms of debit fees being reduced.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Two of the best/most rewarding things I've done this year is switch to 100% renewable energy and join a credit union. Do eet.

6. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Sorry if these are noob questions... but are there any downsides to credit unions? And what do you look for in picking a good one; are they all the same? And lastly, anyone have experience with USAA? Upsides to it?

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm looking at First Community Credit Union. Is that a good one? Anyone here a member?

What CU do people recommend if not FCCU?

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/28/news/companies/bofa_debit_card_fees/index.htm?iid=Lead

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Just re-opened my checking account at my old Credit Union. Screw you, big banks

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

The guy at BOA told me that if you have $5,000 or more in your account, you would not be charged the fee.

11. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

you technically just saved me a trip to BoA tomorrow, i was going to find out if there was anyway around the new rule...

no offense, but i'm still going to go as opposed to trusting a random MB post at midnight on a Friday/Saturday to ensure I won't be charged. I was planning to close out all of my accounts tomorrow and open with JPMC or another bank after today's announcement that they wouldn't follow in BoA's footsteps, but now i may not have to...

12. yo

yo Contributing Member

Just use a credit card. But have self-control. Have a budget. Earn rewards. Pay it in full every month. Use BoA only at the ATM. All is well, regardless of what they do.

13. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

wonder how many customers/accounts BoA lost from this debacle?

must be what they are referring to when they said they were "listening to our (former) customers".

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Tough titty, Bank of America... you've left it too late. No one is going to care, and anyone who is able (as in, doesn't have a big credit card balance they can't pay off) to transfer their funds is probably doing so, or has already done so. Thank goodness, I have no dealings with them.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Besides. They will just make a new less obvious fee somewhere else
    or
    simply raise the fees incrementally across the board.

Don't think for one minute they trying to lose that money!
    They are some sneaky b*st*rds. If they tried to f*** you this way
    then they will just seek another way to do it . . .
    I think what is really BREAKING is the fundamental trust in banks

The ideal that THEY ARE OUT TO GET YOU.

Rocket River

18. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

BOA pulled a "Qwikster"

19. snc

snc Member

I had Wells Fargo right out of high school and called them after I got my first overdraft fee. I wondered why they allowed me to buy something (it was literally a less than $5 purchase) if my account didn't have enough money. Yes, I was irresponsible for not knowing how much is in my account, but I was only 18 and also, it took WF like 4 business days to process a check...

Anyway, I had heard of cards declining and things like that, so I called them to get clarification on why that didn't happen. The (out-of-state) operator told me he could activate something on my account that would stop transactions from going through if there were insufficient funds... Ok, well that's annoying that you have to request this, but whatever. Anyway, it happened again, I called again, got a different out-of-state operator, he had no idea what the last guy was talking about and couldn't remove my overdraft fees.

I promptly closed my WF account and opened up an account at Cy-Fair Credit Union (cffcu.org). Super nice, super helpful, and local. Never looked back.

20. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Yup. Much like Netflix, they gave their customers a reason to explore other options. Once you do that, it really doesn't matter what happens next, the damage is done.