1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thabo Sefolosha planning on suing NYPD for $50 million

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by delta69er, Oct 21, 2015.

1. delta69er

delta69er Member

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hmm. Off-court theater involving another team's player.

I like it.

3. delta69er

delta69er Member

Lol right? If he wins he will never have to play another game of basketball again and can go on ahead and retire comfortably in Switzerland

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

And the NBPA is backing him 100%

I hope he doesn't settle and ruins those cops lives

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I am pretty sure he has already made enough money assuming he didn't blow it to retire.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hopefully Sefolosha & Blake sue for eleventy-billion.

7. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

good - love to see law enforcement held accountable, hope he wins.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That article was just mocking his dunking abilities like it's ok, he doesn't dunk much

9. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Except this isn't holding law enforcement accountable. This money comes from the taxpayers. Holding law enforcement accountable means giving them criminal charges.

10. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Bet Thabo like [​IMG]

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

By accountable you are talking about someone who didn't leave the scene of crime in a timely manner.

I hope he loses the case. He is unimportant and has been gifted wealth by throwing a ball through a hoop.

Next time he should leave a crime scene when asked and we wouldn't be talking about this.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

The court found him not guilty of any of NYPD's accusations. Meaning he was within his rights and wrongfully arrested. That is why he can sue.

The LAW found the police did him wrong, not the other way around.

13. tmacfor35

So wait, a court found him not guilty. There are plenty of guilty people who get off free and innocent who serve the term.

There were multiple police officers who felt he should be arrested.

It is politics. Don't be naïve to think there wasn't wrong doing there. Something happened.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

A citizen was wrongfully arrested and charged. That's what the court of justice agreed upon. A court in NYC with citizens of that community. Politics? Is the justice system politics when citizen find folks not guilty now?

Thebo has every right to damages done to him and the NYPD is liable PERIOD.

15. tmacfor35

He won't win a dime in criminal court.

Maybe civil suit. But sounds like a celebrity f'ed up and the politicking gave way.

Dante Stallworth killed a man with his vehicle and got probation. Athletes are pedestaled. You are comparing apples to oranges when you mention citizens.

Thabo isn't a citizen, he is a professional basketball player first and foremost.

16. tmacfor35

You are technically correct.

But multiple police officers felt he should have been detained.

17. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. No need to toss out the rule of law just because it doesn't fit one's preconceived ideas and judgement. The court has sided with Thabo and against the officers. There is no need to give either side the benefit of the doubt, no matter one's personal prejudices.

Thabo's career is impacted and his rights violated. We should all be concerned when representatives of the state abuse their power, no matter who the representatives target.

I really hope those officers get run down. They need to personally suffer punishment, since we know their department, bosses, and union will just side with them because blue shield, on the job performance be damned.

18. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

So wait, were you there?

It's interesting that you take the side of "multiple police officers" and can declare that "something happened" when you weren't there and the evidence that cleared him of wrongdoing was clearly strong enough to convince a jury not to convict him.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but the use of force (at least as far as the video shows) seems to be out of proportion to the perceived crime. I would not be surprised if he wins this case.

19. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That isn't saying much. I get you are dismissive of Thabo and how he earns his money. I get that you just believe the officers without needing evidence because cops. But the court disagreed. Not every officer is a saint and not every department is honest and clean.

I think we should all want the bad apples to suffer dearly if not just as a deterrent for future behavior. I am really fed up with bad cops making life harder for good cops and good citizens. And I say this as a person with friends behind the shield.

The only reason this case got spotlight was because the officers roughed up a guy with fame. That person's fame doesn't diminish the acts committed.

20. Handles

Handles Member

The cops lives would be affected, but not ruined. They are backed by their department, which is backed by taxpayers. If sef wins, he'll win taxpayers' money.