1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best DPS office in Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketDonut, Nov 24, 2014.

1. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

Since I can't renew my license online, I was planning on renewing it at the DPS on the day after Thanksgiving since my office is closed. Turns out the DPS is closed too, jerks :rolleyes:.

Any recommendations on which one I should visit? I had planned to spend a few hours there while I was off but now I have to miss some work and I'm trying to miss the least amount possible.

Any suggestions?

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Just go to one of the offices outside of the city, (Baytown, Cleveland, Conroe, Texas City, Liberty, etc. Whichever is closest within reason). Go on a Tuesday or Wednesday morning and get there at least an hour before they open.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

the one on 290/Dacoma is usually in and out

4. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I went to the one in SW Houston at Gessner and W. Airport. I was in and out in about half an hour. They really revamped their waiting system and you can "get in line" via text. Try and go to one of the Mega Centers if you can, I don't know if the smaller offices have that system. Its not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

5. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Not in Houston but the one in Rosenburg off 59S is the quickest and most efficient one I've used, twice!

6. SuraGotMadHops

I renewed at the office at 1601 Townhurst Dr. on the west side of town. It was crowded as heck and I thought I would be there all day, but it was so efficient, I was out of there in 30 mins.

7. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

This is notoriously one of the worst ones in the city. I waited their once for four hours to get my license renewed. Met a hot chick though, so who knows, might pay off for you!

8. Indaface

Indaface Member

290 and dacoma is in and out like bigtexxx said...went there last month on a wednesday around 930 and was like the second person in line

9. cebu

cebu Member

they are all efficient now...

10. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

In the past I've always gone to League City and never had to wait longer than 10 minutes. The drive for me was always longer than the wait. Now it seems like you can go basically anywhere.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Went there in March while my wife was getting her name and info changed after getting married and it was pretty packed. Wait time was around an hour.

The quickest one I ever went to was in Huntsville. I went there 3-4 times and never waited in line for longer than 10 minutes.

12. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

You can get in line online and they will text you when you will be up so you don't actually have to wait at the DPS and be able to run errands or whatever you need to do. If you need more time to get there you can respond to text for more time and they will move you down the list.

I did it a few months back and only had to wait at the actual DPS office for about 10 minutes.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Passports, driver's licenses, Judicial system, voting, standard mail... Google needs to acquire the rights to manage all of it. They should run for President on the platform. I'll gladly concede privacy for efficiency.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Don't go to the greenspoint one.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I have never waited in a line at the Alvin DPS.

16. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Texas City is very in and out

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No. :eek:
    YES. :cool:

18. droopy421

droopy421 Member

If you are in the area this is pretty much the biggest/quickest one. Automated line called my number before I even started the paperwork.

19. SexyButIgnorant

Rosenburg was ridiculously easy and quick.

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Thanks to new Obama Amnesty program I was told I don't need a license anymore. Sometimes it pays to be illegal.