1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets overflowing at forward position

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Nov. 11, 2002, 12:02AM

Versatility should relieve `good' problem
    By MICHAEL MURPHY
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

Rudy Tomjanovich has a problem.

OK, Tomjanovich has another problem. When you're the head coach of the Rockets, problems are part of the job description. But for once, the Rockets' coach has a good problem.

Sort of.

Kenny Thomas got his first start Saturday against Golden State and finished with 20 points, 10 rebounds and six assists, all of which helped add up to a 111-104 victory over the Warriors.

"I had six assists?" Thomas said. "Not bad for my first start."

So what's the problem?

Well, Maurice Taylor finally is back after sitting out all of last season with a torn Achilles' tendon and missing the first five games of this season after violating the league's substance abuse policy. Taylor's return adds another big body to what is an overflowing group of forwards.

Who to play?

"We'll just see," Tomjanovich said with a shrug. "I don't know what to say. We'll just have to see what happens."

It should bear watching.

Taylor's quick-starting jumper (he averaged 17.1 points three years ago for the Clippers and 13 two seasons ago for the Rockets) is a vital element in the Rockets' offense, and Eddie Griffin again showed his versatility against the Warriors, finishing with 13 points, seven rebounds and three blocks. Glen Rice seems to be more comfortable with each day, and the Rockets would welcome his silky quick-release jumper in the offense.

Juaquin Hawkins is earning his money with defense; Bostjan Nachbar is slowly coming along. Don't forget Terence Morris, who is sitting out with a sprained ankle.

And then along comes Thomas, who not only put up Scottie Pippen-like numbers in his first start, but also provided a legitimate post-up threat against one of the more physical front lines in the Western Conference.

"I just want to play," Thomas said. "I know that if I get the opportunity to play, my actions will take care of themselves. Rudy is going to make the decisions as far as who plays and who doesn't play. When it comes down to it and he makes that decision, if it's me, then it's me and if it's not, then it's not."

One ace in the Rockets' hand is the fact most of the forwards are remarkably versatile, which should allow Tomjanovich to play combinations. Thomas can play either forward position, as can Griffin, who should also be able to see spot minutes at center in certain situations. Rice can be used as a small forward or shooting guard, as can Hawkins and Nachbar.

That kind of versatility will be a key element for the Rockets.

"Exactly," Tomjanovich said. "We have a versatile team. We can go big and we can go small (depending on the matchups)."

Thomas, who learned his power-forward chops while interning under Charles Barkley, has been patiently waiting his turn to start -- and star. But after the Rockets signed Taylor and then pulled off a draft-day trade for Griffin, Thomas figured it was time to change not only his way of thinking, but his way of playing as well.

He shed excess pounds, which now allows the player Tomjanovich last year called "the best defensive power forward" in the league to slide easily over to small forward, where his footwork and bull-like body overwhelm smaller opponents.

"It (versatility) is of value now because I lost weight, and I can come in and play the three (small forward), too," Thomas said. "That's pretty much helping the Rockets as far as having a lot of depth at the small forward and power forward spots."

Thomas' numbers against Golden State are more impressive, considering the fact he's recovering from the fractured right thumb he suffered while blocking a Grant Hill dunk attempt in a preseason game.

"I still have swelling in my joint," Thomas said. "I can't pop my wrist on my shots like I normally do. I just have to shoot it and not think about it. You have a tendency to think about it, but that's really no excuse (for poor shooting)."

Tomjanovich understands Thomas is working to get back his jumper and his timing.

"He's worked real hard," Tomjanovich said. "Even though his injury was to a hand and it seems like it didn't affect his legs, it really does because he's away from the games and away from practice. You can't just get it (NBA timing) by running."

That's why all those days off last week were so valuable. With a break between last Tuesday's loss to Seattle and Saturday's victory over the Warriors, Tomjanovich and his staff had time to evaluate his growing group of forwards.

"They were extremely valuable," Tomjanovich said. "A lot of people say, `Oh, you've got your guys healthy so everything's great.' Well, we have to find an identity, and I thought that (against the Warriors) we did somewhat. We had Kenny slashing at the basket, Eddie made some good inside plays and some good outside plays."

Nov. 10, 2002, 9:58PM

Rockets notes

Close to the top

Rockets guard Steve Francis came one field goal short Saturday of taking over the NBA lead in scoring. But he said leading the league in scoring is not a goal, and not just because he was convinced Orlando's Tracy McGrady would retake the lead.

Francis trailed McGrady by three-tenths of a point after Saturday's game, but McGrady had 32 on Sunday to extend his lead. McGrady is averaging 30.9, Francis 30.4.

"I don't even think about it," Francis said. "Other people would probably think about it. It's just something that's happened. I'm getting unbelievable looks right now, and I'm shooting a high percentage. I'm shooting (better than) 50 percent (51.9 percent). I'm hoping I can keep that up. I know McGrady and (Vince) Carter when he gets back and some of those guys will eventually get to the top.

"I just want to keep shooting 50 percent or better. I'd think about that before leading the league in scoring."

With the offense dragging in the first half Saturday, Francis had a 15-point third quarter. But that too, he said, was not by design.

"The ball went my way," Francis said. "I didn't think I had to take the game over. Things were falling my way."

Passing better

The Rockets spent much of their three days of long practices last week working on their half-court passing. They showed signs of progress against the Warriors, but said they could do better.

They finished with 20 assists in scoring a season-high 111 points Saturday. The Rockets were still second-to-last in the NBA in assists per game going into Sunday's games. But while still averaging just 15.6 assists per games, the Rockets had 39 in the two games last week.

"Coach says that we're a special team when we move the ball, like a Dallas type," Rockets guard Cuttino Mobley said. "When we get the confidence in the situation, we're unstoppable."

Dallas was third in the NBA in assists per game, averaging 23.5. The Magic led the league with an average of 24.16.

But after starting the season with nine assists in the opener, the Rockets were happy to have improved enough to pass the ball well on occasion.

"I think we did a good job of buckling down and working at practice and it showed in the game," Steve Francis said. "In clutch situations I think we made the good passes to open guys."

Crowd control

The Rockets' two home wins were marked by the festivities for the season opener and retirement of Hakeem Olajuwon's jersey. The Rockets knew they would have to find ways to win with smaller, less electric crowds, though they could not help hoping that enough routine wins could bring back unusual crowds.

"We really want the crowd to be here," Rockets center Kelvin Cato said. "Regardless of what's going on, we have to play the game. But if the crowd is here and supporting us, and cheering not only for the good plays, but for (defensive) stands against the other team, it might rattle the other team and make us play harder and harder."

-- JONATHAN FEIGEN

#1 Rockets34Legend, Nov 11, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2002