1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coach K wants to recruit Chen Jianghua

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ymc, Aug 7, 2006.

1. ymc

ymc Member

Posted this inside the US-China game thread already but I think it is worthy of a thread here. :)

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/art/2006/08/08/288491/Hoopsters_mauled.htm

Hoopsters mauled
    Zhou Zuyi
    2006-08-08
    Hoopsters mauled
    China's Yi Jianlian (right) guards Dwight Howard of the United States in Guangzhou last night. Team USA won 119-73.
    TEAM USA steamrolled China 119-73 last night at the three-nation tournament in Guangzhou and ahead of the World Championships later this month.

The mighty American team, with NBA All Stars LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Dwayne Wade in the lineup, showed little mercy as the Chinese battled on in the absence of Yao Ming and Wang Zhizhi - both missing the game with injuries.

The American trio combined for 53 points with James scoring a game high 23 points.

Du Feng scored 18 for China but it was 17-year-old Chen Jianghua who impressed on his debut.

The point guard snared six points in 18 minutes and seemed unfazed by the big-name Americans and pulled off some arm-raising lay-ups and mind-boggling dribbles and clearly delighted the packed house.

"He played very well considering the level of pressure he was under today," US head coach Mike Krzyzewski said.

"I liked his performance very much. Does he have good grades? If he does, maybe (University of Duke) would like to recruit him."

Krzyzewski wears two hats as American head coach and the top basketball mentor at Duke.

But Krzyzewski probably wouldn't have known that Chen even has not spent a day in a normal school.

The 1.85-meter Guangdong native is a member of the reserve team with three-time CBA champion Guangdong Hongyuan South China Tigers.

He has yet to play in China's top-division CBA league and, like most Chinese athletes, was groomed in a fulltime sport schools.

China's head coach Jonas Kazlauskas also applauded Chen's debut performance, although he hinted his focus lies somewhere else.

"Sure, we need this kind of players who can break down the opposition defense and deliver assists or points," said the Lithuanian coach.

"But the most important thing tonight is that we played another world class side and got some very good experience. I think this is the seventh world top-10 team we have played this summer. That's very good as we prepare for the World Championship."

China and United States will meet again later this month in the group stage of the World Championships in Japan.

The United States will play Brazil tonight to complete the China Basketball Challenge.

2. ymc

ymc Member

Even King James was impressed! :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.nba.com/features/usachina_recap060807.html

USA Rolls to Victory Over China
    By Tim Noonan

Box Score | USA Basketball

GUANGZHOU, CHINA, August 7 -- Team USA began their international warm ups on the road to the world championship in Japan later this month with a convincing 119-73 victory over an undermanned China national team in the southern metropolis of Guangzhou, a two-hour train ride north of Hong Kong.

China was without Houston Rockets star center Yao Ming as well as former NBA player Wang Zhizhi as both are nursing injuries that they hope will heal in time for the FIBA World Championship. However, their presence may not have made much of a difference as a determined US team used the same recipe they had applied in beating Puerto Rico five days earlier in Las Vegas: swarming defense.

Chris Paul has been the motor of the U.S.'s attack.
    Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE/Getty Images

“Playing defense is what we practice and preach,” said Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade. “You play good defense and it leads you on offense, forcing teams into turnovers and general pressure. We can play a full-court press for most of the game because we have a deep roster. You can bring any guy off the bench, put them in the game and they understand they have to put pressure on the ball and play defense.”

The US team pressed throughout he game and maintained their intensity despite taking a large lead in the second half. The Americans also dominated down low, pulling down 15 offensive rebounds and manhandling China’s big man in a way they rarely see in Asia. LeBron James scored 22 points to lead a balanced US attack, which featured six players scoring in double figures including Carmelo Anthony with 18.

“Most nights we don’t know who will lead the team in scoring, because there are so many options,” said Anthony. He also led the team in playing time with 19 minutes, a figure that is roughly half his season average with the Denver Nuggets. “Even though most of us are used to playing many more minutes, we are willing to sacrifice,” said Anthony. “It’s just the way it is and it makes the team better so everybody buys into it.”

The US team, which has been in training camp for over two weeks and just flew 20 hours to Asia, had become slightly restless and were eager for some competition. “It was nice to play a game and get used to the guys,” said James. “We had a long flight from the US and are ready to go. The guys want to play, it’s why we are here.”

The sellout crowd of over 10,000 at Guangzhou Gymnasium cheered loudly for both Yao and Wang, who were dressed but spent the game on the bench. However the enthusiastic crowd saved their loudest cheers for local hero, point guard Chen Jianghua of the Guandgong Tigers. The 17 year-old Chen was making his first appearance and electrified the crowd with his cross over dribbles and lighting speed.

“What are his grades like?” US and Duke University coach Mike Krzyzewski cracked when asked what he thought of Chen at a post game press conference. “I wouldn’t mind having him at Duke.” Chen entered the game at the seven-minute mark and quickly started whittling into an 16-point U.S. lead, with his mercurial drives to the basket before Krzyzewski called a timeout and inserted equally quick point guard Chris Paul to shadow Chen in a full court press and deny him the ball on inbounds in the back court. “The guy can fly,” said James. “I was impressed with his speed and dribbling.”

There is no shortage of big men in China and there is also a deep pool of quality shooters. But creative point guards who can penetrate and break the defense down are truly rare. This game, the result of which was never really in doubt, could well have served as the coming out party for the youthful Chen, who should have even greater success when Yao and Wang come back to convincingly slam home some of his passes.

Most of the American players acknowledged that the game would have been different with Yao and Wang out there, but according to Bruce Bowen, how much different is difficult to judge. “You can’t deal with ifs,” he said to numerous queries from the Chinese media on how Yao would have affected the game. “If my aunt was my uncle I would call her sir. We had to play against the team they put out here. Certainly, Yao would have affected things if he played but we can’t say how much.”

Bowen was also queried on his role with the team and admitted that he hoped his experience would help. “Personally, I have been involved in a lot of pressure situations and have won a couple of championships so I understand what the game is like when you play it at a higher level of competition,” he said. “The whole decision making process on the floor is a little different. So I am willing to help, to talk to the guys and share my experience. But you don’t want to talk too much because you hope the guys can remember the few important things you may say. Any kind of leadership role evolves, you can’t force it on people.”

Team USA looks to keep their form and intensity up when they take on Brazil on Wednesday in Guangzhou. After the Brazil game the U.S. will head to Hong Kong for two days and then on to South Korea.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Caught 2nd half on ESPN. He was the bright spot of China
    's poor performance. The kid has good speed and is fearless. With some good teaching, he could play in NBA one day.
    Yi played OK. The kid somehow was lukewarm in the game. He should've been pumped up to showcase what he got against NBA allstars in front of whole bunch of NBA coaches and scouts. I didnt see fire inside him. Ducked a couple times facing flying dunks. He needs some serious mentoring, otherwise I cant see NBA will be impressed with what he has right now. He's got agility and shooting touch right now.

4. Panda

Panda Member

You are right that Yi is a little passive in this game, it looks like he's afraid to try. I don't like that in him. However, even if he keeps up this way, I think there's still NBA teams to pick him up in a draft. His physicality combined with all around skills(although nothing spectacular yet) is hard to go undrafted.

5. ak47

ak47 Member

HOw Old is He?

6. skywater

skywater Member

In fact, Chen is 19 yrs old, not 17.

But he could not be recruited by NCAA for he had signed a professional contract with Guangdong team in CBA.

Yi has the chance to be a 1st round pick in draft 2007.

7. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Doubt Chen cuts it academically for Duquesne, let alone Duke. Not that he's not a good kid and he might well be intelligent, but langugage barrier plus years at sports school, where academics aren't exactly the focus, probably means he won't get high enough on the SATs or have an easy time keeping up in an American university.

8. Jd1

Jd1 Member

What if he doesn't need to graduate?

9. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

Chen Jianghua is an unpolished diamond!
    He is the one that CNT needs

10. superden

superden Contributing Member

Psh, he is asian. All asians have good grades, duh. Well, except me. :D

11. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Come on we are talking about college sports...they will "GET" the grades they need one way or another to make sure they play :p

12. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

You gotta make the SAT standard first though... it could be a hurdle for some atheletes, just ask Kirk Snyder next time you see him.

13. ymc

ymc Member

14. lustdog

lustdog Member

wonder where you got your data from, i just googled the name chen jianghua, here is what i got at http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/chenjianghua.asp

Chen Jianghua
    Birthdate: 3/27/89-88
    NBA Position: Point Guard
    Team: Guangdong Southern Tigers
    Ht: 6-1
    Wt: 162
    Hometown: Guongdong Providence

15. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Yea, Yao Ming is 28 and Wang Zhizhi is 30, Yi Jianlian is 22. Just add 2 years to every Chinese player. :rolleyes:

Chen is 17. I was in the hospital when he was born.

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If Chen come to the US it will be to play pro ball. He is playing pro ball in China, so he can not play in NCAA. This was stated in an sina article.

17. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

omg, i can't believe china cutted chen.

18. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

They cutted Chen? Why would they cutte him?

19. ymc

ymc Member

source? :confused:

20. aamir

aamir Member

Does he have good grades? He's freakin' CHINESE man!!