1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Sports] Kenny Smith: Houston is the must-watch team in the 2nd half.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Blue Brick, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Blue Brick

Blue Brick Member

In a video posted on Yahoo Sports, he talked briefly about the Rockets. Really didnt say anything we don't know already, but it's just nice to listen his thoughts once in a while without Barkley chipping in with some idoitic comments.

Link http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=207187&cl=6418816&ch=244098&src=sports

Here are the transcripts,

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

wth, didn't he just say last week that houston and tmac aren't that much better?

lol, why should we listen to guys who don't even watch us on a consistent basis? they are like the weather. i hate bandwagoners.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bandwagoners > fake Rocket fans who discredit the The Dreams 1980s-90s dominance of the Chicago Bulls.

4. t_mac1

also, it's hard to see if tmac REALLY makes this team better until the playoffs rolls around and do we go deep?

but right now? 8-7 without tmac? 23-13 w tmac?? and winning 10 of the last 11 games?

5. blender

blender Member

I find Kenny Smith entertaining next to Barkley, but most of what he and these so-called pundits say are nonsense. First they say that McGrady must assert himself and prove he can carry a team in the playoffs, then they say that McGrady must defer to Yao to succeed.

And then when he starts to "defer" - or more accurately play within the team system - they say that McGrady doesn't noticeably make the team better. Then they make the next "logical" leap that therefore McGrady and Yao may not function well as a tandem.

Nonsense.

6. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

on't forget their track record in previous years without T-Mac and the quality of opponenets this year without T-Mac.

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

fake Rocket fans who discredit the The Dreams 1980s-90s dominance of the Chicago Bulls > elitist fans that think only they know the right way to be a fan

:D

8. landryfans

landryfans Member

9. mbiker

mbiker Member

It was a different year, a different style, and different a coach. You can’t use that argument anymore.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

What is stupid is how they trivialize McGrady's importance to this team. Sure, while the team is in transition it is more difficult to see his impact on the game but this team has absolutely no shot of getting out of the first round without Tmac. I don't care if Yao is putting up 30/15, this team isn't making noise in the playoffs without a healthy, determined Tmac.

11. t_mac1

that's true. the previous 3 yrs, we couldn't live without tmac, he was our most indispensable player. this year it's not the case. we can win if yao or tmac is out. we have a more balanced team than before. as u have seen recently, yao have sat for longer stretches; tmac hasn't need to be overly aggressive to score.

but however, without tmac, though we went 8-4 in the previous 12 games, we blew quite a few 4th quarter leads, which is something we have not done once with tmac back. tmac is still our main guy in the 4th.

we just don't need him to create as much in the first 3 quarters b/c our players have been tremendous.

12. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I have to wonder if the Rockets with T-Mac are not significantly improved because he and Yao are just doing the same thing: scoring.

What if Yao moves over to the primary scoring spot and T-Mac becomes the facilitator? In other words, Kareem and Magic?

13. tsunami

tsunami Member

I agree everything about TMAC's contribution to the team, but connecting him with 1st round success in playoff is a little funny :D He hasn't had even a single success record, but just failures in his whole career.

14. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

I don't know about you, but since T-Mac has came back the team has running the same exact sets as last year. T-Mac is once again the point-forward like last year, and he is once again in the top 4 in the league in usage rating.

Exactly the same as previous years IMO. The only difference is we now have a few more pieces to help out in games that T-Mac misses, but it doesn't translate IMO to Smith saying the team is only "a little" better with T-Mac.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think you got it wrong. He said last week the EXACT same thing he just said in the article. Basically Houston is better with McGrady but not THAT much better which is odd. He concedes that McGrady has ability and implies the two simply don't mesh well together but can still win.

16. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

Unlike Magic, T-Mac is a top scorer in this league (well, can be if used as such) and playmaking is ot his main function. It is the reason why Adelman originally intended to take the playmaking responsibilities away from him and use him more as a scorer (hence the league leader in scoring through first 8 games). Right now using him as the point is the best bet, but if the Rockets want to win a ring it isn't the best option IMO.

17. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

I don't know if Tracy palying the PG is the best thing for this team. We know he could do it if he put his mind to it, but will it get us to the promise land? I think Tracy is playing well right now with the team hes not scoring a lot of points but thats ok becasue we don't need that from him right now. But when the game is close and we are playing a great team I think Tracy will go back to the old Tracy and put the team on his back if thats what we need.

18. t_mac1

that's true. but it hasn't been due to the fact that he hasn't performed in the playoffs like say AROD. his stats are superb. 29, 7, 6.

if he performs the same way he has performed in the playoffs on THIS team, i have no doubt we'll have success.

19. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

I think this team is a lot better with T-Mac in the line-up. Just becasue he doesn't score a lot of points when we win doesn't mean we would have won that game without him. T-Mac makes this team better just by being on the floor.

20. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Not his fault that he has so-so role players. Kobe never done squat without Shaq. Now that Kobe is surrounded with talent, he should get out of the first round. Out of all the teams he was on how often was his team the upper seed?