1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

List of Rocket draft picks playing overseas and where they are currently playing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mrjohn, Jul 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Now that there's a lockout, I guess we can watch or catch up on our overseas prospects. So which players do we have the rights to and what team / league are they playing in? Marty? Sergio? Etc., even the obscure guys...

2. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Lior eliyahu? Everyone. Perhaps links to articles or games for these guys. Now would be a good time to discuss them. Haha.

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Sergio Llull - Real Madrid

Lior Eliyahu - Maccabi Tel Aviv
    Maarty Leunen - Bennet Cantu

Brad Newley - Lietuvos Rytas

Also some other scrubs that will never make it to the NBA. Brad Newley probably won't either. Llull will, Eliyahu and Leunen might.

4. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

If we trade away Scola, I'd be keen for Eliyahu to come over for a bit. He's solid.

5. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

If Eliyahu and Llull "can make the NBA", then Newly certainly can also.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

IMO, Llull seems to me like he would translate better to the NBA game than Newley, and especially Eliyahu.

That said, I am not sure that they would translate with the Rockets. I could see us throwning in the rights to a couple of these guys in a massive trade...

7. HMMMHMM

I know you like Newley, but he isn't very good, certainly not on the level of Llull or Eliyahu.
    I'm not sure how well Eliyahu's game translates to the NBA, but Newley does nothing that screams NBA player either. I don't see him ever making it.

8. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

If Newley can't play in the NBA, then neither can Llull, nor Eliyahu.

9. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Are the seasons for any of these guys still on going now? If so, any links to where they can be watched?

Eliyahu was MVP of Euroleague for the month of December a while back - maybe we can trade his rights to the Knicks or something.

Of course, the Full Motiejunas is playing overseas now too.

10. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Just so you know, MVP of the month in Euroleague is awarded to the player with the highest plus minus rating on the team with the best record that month. And they only play 3-4 games a month.

It sounds much more impressive, by a lot, than it actually is, if you are trying to relate to the way the NBA gives out such awards.

11. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

thanks OHMSS, i realize its not a prestigious award. I know the Knicks really wanted Casspi (for business or legitimate reasons) - if he can't help us maybe we can trade his rights to them for profit.

Also, I remember reading or hearing that Morey rates Llull higher than Rubio - its certainly possible he's just posturing by saying - and a lot of people think Rubio will not pan out to much...but if you believe Morey than Llull is good enough to play / contribute in the NBA.

As an aside, I requested this on a few threads already but to no avail...
    There was a thread that listed our picks that we have for future drafts....
    CAN THAT BE BUMPED AND UPDATED TO REFLECT THE DRAFT DAY DEAL - THANKS! (Someone, Anyone)

12. tosweet68

tosweet68 Member

I don't believe a single one of those guys will ever play a regular season NBA game for the Rockets.

13. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Llull is way better than Rubio. Rubio was easily one of the worst players in the Euroleague. Eliyahu is also a very good player. He is just about as good as Llull is. Newley, Eliyahu, Llull - all three of them could play in the NBA without any problem.

Newley can actually play defense though. Eliyahu and Llull are bad defenders, especially Llull is a bad defender. But in the current NBA, with the rules and the way the game is played and reffed, defense almost does not exist anymore. So they would fit in fine with today's all offense NBA.

Rubio........he's mainly just NBA hype and marketing. He was the worst player on his team in Europe. Of course, Stern will instruct the refs to give Rubio all the calls and special treatment, so he will look much better than he really is. The truth about Rubio is that he really sucks though.

1 person likes this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Someone has all their bases covered.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

16. anchel

anchel Member

Don't we have Axel Hervelle's rights too?

17. HMMMHMM

Yes.

Also Frederic Weis, Kyle Hill & Venson Hamilton.

18. anchel

anchel Member

Of those, I think Hill is playing in Serbia, but was cutted by a spanish team last season. Weis is obviously retired, Hamilton almost-retired, I'd say, but Hervelle is playing very good minutes in Spain. I will say that Hervelle could be more interesting than Leunen thinking in NBA. Hervelle is a very tough PF, very good defender and rebounder, and can spread the floor shooting 3s. He's 28 years old currently.

19. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Weis is retired. Hamilton is retired (he can't get a contract). The Rockets should not have the rights to Hill anymore, even though he still is playing.

I seriously doubt that the Rockets have kept his rights all this time.

I believe that Hervelle's rights were traded by the Rockets, although I'm not sure about that. Anyway, Hervelle is a very nice player. Any team could use a guy like him. But I think the Rockets traded his rights.

20. Chopped

Chopped Member

i was going to say malick badiane, but we seemed to have traded his rights...