1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Liberals Aren't Un-America. Conservatives Aren't Ignorant

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DFWRocket, Sep 10, 2009.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Great artice trying to figure out the key differences between the left and the right. Fairly unbalanced..pointing out characteristics both good and bad about both sides.

Its a rather long article, but a quick read..too much to post in the thread so here's a snippet.

“Liberals tend to have a very optimistic view of human nature,” Haidt says. “They tend to be uncomfortable about punishment—of their own children, of criminals, anyone. I do believe that if liberals ran the whole world, it would fall apart. But if conservatives ran the whole world, it would be so restrictive and uncreative that it would be rather unpleasant, too.”

and another one...

The concept of authority resonates so weakly in liberals that “it makes it difficult for liberal organizations to function,” Haidt says. On the other hand, he notes, the Republicans’ tendency to blindly follow their leader proved disastrous over the past eight years.

http://www.utne.com/Politics/Liberals-Aren...t-Ignorant.aspx

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Conservatives aren't ignorant, I agree. But Republicans certainly are.

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Wow Batman...a speed reader eh? Read the entire 6 page article in less than a minute?

4. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Then I can safely assume by that statement you would consider yourself a Republican.

1 person likes this.
  5. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

And he figured out the proper link...which I still can't. :confused:

;)

6. Batman Jones

I didn't need to. The GOP decided years ago to campaign and legislate based on a pack of lies. Not only do they not debunk those lies, they repeat them. Anyone who votes for such a party is both ignorant and complicit in the spreading of ignorance.

7. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm an ignorant unamerican.

I rule.

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

10. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I want to throw up when I go on MSNBC between 6-10.

I want to puke when I do the same with Fox News.

Its UNREAL how these to idiot camps see the world so ignorantly.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

OK, I thought that was rather simplistic and pedantic. Regarding his description of conservatives, one could produce a mountain of counter evidence to his morals thesis.

Also, he lost me when he said the environmental movement was started by liberals. It was started by conservationists who don't neatly fit the lib/con dichotomy, though I guess you could argue that Greeley and Teddy and Pinchot and others would be Dems these days.

12. uolj

uolj Member

I like Haidt a lot. I was first introduced to him when somebody posted a link to "What Makes People Vote Republican?" on this site. That got me interested in his Happiness Hypothesis book, which I enjoyed quite a bit as well.

He makes a very important point that I've been tempted to bring up numerous times on this board. Even the most controversial posters here most likely mean well but just see the world through a different lens. I'm guessing that they feel just as strongly that those who criticize them are out of line.

I think political discourse would be much better served if participants of all ideologies learned and understood Haidt's theories.

Like what? I think it makes perfect sense and explains the behavior of even the most extreme ideologues.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

that was not ignorant at all :rolleyes:

14. Batman Jones

Nor was that. :cool: :rolleyes: :) ;) :eek:

Your party lied repeatedly about Iraq, then it lied repeatedly about Obama's citizenship, religion and "ties to terrorists" and now it's lying repeatedly about health care reform.

Elected Republicans aren't ignorant -- they are cynically feeding and exploiting the ignorance of their base.

Police your own or expect more of the same.

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

5 moral realms works for me. Reciprocity sways me more than harm/care. But even then, often it is to help reinforce the latter.

I do indeed have negative feelings towards the last 3. I picture corrupt, evil regimes and churches doing harm to those unable to protect themselves because of mob followers.

Well, the 3rd one I don't care about. It just seems so... primitive to care so much about chastity and piety, but nothing wrong with being clean!

Welcome to medieval times, serf. Bow to your king and priest.

(I'm not optimistic. People are ****. The people who replace them are just as ****. Pet-eating... earlier this week I was musing about a soylent green equivalent for the spca.)

16. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

religious nuts who dont believe in science are ALL ignorant.....racist people are also ignorant.

if you're a religious nut, dont believe in science, or are racist, you're probably a republican too. (probably an older one though)

17. Batman Jones

More Republicans than non-Republicans believe Obama is not a U.S. citizen.

More Republicans than non-Republicans believe Saddam attacked us on 9/11.

More Republicans than non-Republicans believe in "death panels" (LOL).

I could go on and on and on.

This is the definition of ignorance.

18. uolj

uolj Member

There are plenty of ignorant people on both sides. It seems silly to point to one particular group and claim they are ignorant as if it doesn't occur everywhere.

And even if you disagree with the conclusions, failing to understand or willfully ignoring the reasoning behind them is just as ignorant.

19. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i think some republicans take pride in being ignorant.

BJ hit it on the head. think about some of the things many of them think

-WMD in Iraq and Sadaam's involement in 9/11

-ignorant of SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH and believe that intelligent design or creationism is a valid alternative to evolution (this is mindboggling to me. this is why other countries are gaining on us and eventually pass us up in medicine)

-climate change...i guess this falls into science. Maybe God is melting the icecaps...they completely discount global warming

-history: tthey seem to be unaware of the intent of the founding fathers to create a secular government with separation of church and state

-they think tax cuts paying for themselves. they dont take in account any financial consequences and that somtimes taxes need to be raised, ESPECIALLY during wartime. (the only look out for themselves and their own good)

-use lies and smear campaigns to try to get ahead (see kerry and obama. it doesnt stop there.... look what bush did to mccain in the the primaries: they're in the same freaking party)

-"family values"....yet they always seem to be the ones who cheat on their wives. (my favorite example: Newt Gingrich...this guy devoted his life to impeach clinton then runs off with antoher woman)

i could go on too

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

is being ignorant American?

I know being informed is