1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Today's Urban Music = 1980's Heavy Metal???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Ok, sounds wierd, but just an observation. I don't mean the music or the fact that the vast majority of rap/r&b artists are black while the opposite was true of heavy metal. What I mean are the basic personifications of the artists.

Clothing

Urban: Flashy designer clothing
    Metal: Flashy custom-designed clothes

Adornments

Urban: Bling, bling - flashy jewelry
    Metal: Make up

Lifestyle

Urban: Expensive cars and homes
    Metal: Expensive cars and homes

Common video location

Urban: Poolside party with tons of friends
    Metal: Party with tons of friends

Women

Urban: Nearly naked, big breasts
    Metal: Nearly naked, big breasts

Most common complaint from parents

Urban: Too violent and sexual
    Metal: Too violent and sexual

Hmmmmm...

2. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Ok lets look at some stuff that makes them different:

Hair

Urban: Short-faded, Afro, Braids
    Metal:Long, Wild, Untamed, Spiked

Style Of Clothes

Urban: Straight Color
    Metal: A little color here an little color there

Cars

Urban: Bentleys, SUVS, Benz, Lexus
    Metal:???Trucks???

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

But, in essence those are still similar. Afros and corn rows are no more the norm than long hair was in the 80's. The cars of heavy metal were mostly Ferrari's and other sports cars - still symbols of status just like Bentley's. While the clothes were obviously stylistically different, they were both flashy.

What I meant was a general look at the overall not specific styles. Styles change but the trappings stay the same. Oh, one more.

Song Themes

Urban: Parties, death
    Metal: Parties, death

4. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

This was talked about quite a bit when the East Coast started taking things over after Biggie died. The popularity of the over the top image for certain rappers was a sign of things to come, a slide back into decadence after a half-decade of regression with the earnest Seattle sound dominating for so long.

The popularity of Puffy's sound and image made it possible for crappy bands to drop the irony and sing about the nookie without an ounce of pretense.

A different comparison deserves note:

All the terrible, nameless, faceless white rock bands; spearheaded by the Creeds and Matchbox 30s of the world

vs.

All the terrible, nameless, faceless white rock bands from 20+ years ago, spearheaded by the Journeys and REOs of the world.

At least the corporate rock from back then wasn't trying to fool us lyrically. The self-absorbtion factor of these current bands is sickening. The earnestness and proto-anthemic levels of the Creeds of the world, that **** is just pathetic. You know they're going back to the hotel room to drink Coors Light, watch some wrestling, and screw some 16 year old from an Orlando suburb.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I hope nobody starts a thread about which ballad ruined each rapper's career...

6. mfclark

mfclark Member

Hey! They aren't all from Orlando! Only the upper echelon of the crap is - the Backstreet Boys, N*Suck, and O-Town's of the world. Creed is from Florida's capital, Tallahassee...a college band gone big time.

But I have no argument with the rest of the post! Just the Orlando bit.

7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Genius, Kelly was saying the groupie was from Orlando, not the band.

Creed is a "college" band???? LMAO . . . . maybe from Mullet University.

8. treeman

treeman Member

I think Jeff's on to something here... Except he missed the most important factor:

Urban market: 12-20+ year olds who want to rebel, don't see alot of future for themselves, do drugs, and are always trying to outdo their peers

Metal market: 12-20+ year olds who want to rebel, don't see alot of future for themselves, do drugs, and are always trying to outdo their peers

Granted, there's a huge difference in style, and the markets are superficially different, but...

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Ah, you got it, treeman. That's exactly what I was thinking when I wrote this. :)

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Rockets R Us, where the hell did you get Trucks from? Was that some kind of glittering generalization? If they do Rock, they own Trucks? You mean Rockstars don't want no Speedy Carrera? They don't want a Ferrari?

Metal of the 80s is totally different of what it represents today.

People in metal bands back then wore make up, had long tease hair, wore womens designer clothing.

The Metal or Rock of today, they got short hair, some have long hair.

Plus, most of todays music, no matter what genre it fals in is all corporate ****, unless maybe, it is on an independent label.
    And creed sucks. I want creed off my radio, i want them off my tv, i want tem to go away, Scott Stap or whatever his name is sucks, and Fred Durs sucks too. Go the hell away and never come back.
    Puff daddy is what is wrong with music. He is what I call a poseur.
    I hate how radio stations are all from the same company. That stupid FCC thing in 1996 allowed them to consolidate. I want to hear music that is true, not what record companies tell radio stations to play. If y'all don' know, 93.7 the arrow, 94.5 the buzz, mix 96.5, 97.9 the box, sunny 99.1, oldies 107.5, am 740 and am 950, all the same ****.

There was an article about this in the wall street journal a few weeks ago, I think it was last week. It's a good read.

11. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

My bad. I just thought that since it was rock it some how linked with Monster Trucks. Don't ask me. :confused: I wasn't even living back then, I get my views from what the media tells me...........noo......stop the media.........their filling my head with confusing images.......aaaaaaahhhhhhhh............:D