1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did Dwight Howard sign 2012-2013 player option?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by CoolGuy, Jul 17, 2012.

1. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

Can someone please explain why he signed the option to play in Orlando this coming season?? I really do not see any sensible reason for this.

If he wanted to stay in Orlando he could have always just signed a long term contract this off season. In this scenario he would be making the same if not more money this coming season with the security of a long term contract.

If he wanted to leave Orlando he could have chosen this off season where he wanted to go without demanding trades etc.

I just cant figure out one scenario where it made sense for him to sign that one year option...someone please enlighten me.

2. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He gets less money if he leaves as a free agent.

4. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

His daddy told him to.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

He wanted to make sure the coach and GM were fired before he takes off.

7. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Well they say money, but word was the rockets had a trade going down,
    at the deadline last yr., and he opted in expecting them being able
    to send him to Brooklyn with time in his favor.
    Collusion was probably going down. I'm sure things were promised ala Mchale,
    and his famous Joe Smith disaster...oh when Stern actually cared about
    Basketball Decisions I mean reasons

8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

He wanted to have his cake and eat it too.
    -Have control of his destination: I.e. not be traded mid-season to a team he didn't like. He claimed that he was 'blackmailed' over that issue.
    -Get max money: if he resigns with the team that has his Bird rights, he gets more money and years.

Basically he wants the NBA/Fans/Orlando to cater to his every (however fickle) whim.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Because he does not want to be in Houston!!!

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Because he's an idiot. I tend to believe the story that Orlando was about to ship him to Houston, which would mean he'd have to give up his Bird Rights to get to Brooklyn. He (or his agent, really) thought that he could pick up his option and the Rockets would be forced to move on to new targets and Brooklyn would wait for him. Only, as it turned out, Morey was the more stubborn GM.

11. CoolGuy

I guess the bird rights is a reason but wouldn't he know the rockets would do a sign and trade to whichever team if he told them he was leaving, therefore retaining his bird rights?

Would playing in Houston for half a season be that bad of a deal??

I mean, if the Cav's bitter owner allowed Lebron to make more money with a sign and trade, surely every other owner would.

12. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Because he is an idiot.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Some say because Orlando threatened to trade him to the Lakers.

Some say the Rockets.

I say he signed because he's just immature and flaky. Doesn't know what he wants.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KRxwIlFieJ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. CoolGuy

I hope he gets shipped off to some ****ty pathetic team like the raptors where he as to play for a whole year.

What an idiot, i really hope we dont get him...

16. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

I have to think it's his advisors who are idiots and he's just going along with their advice. He needs better advisors. ;)

17. CoolGuy

Who cares if he gets traded, he just has to play there for half a season, he'll than get to choose where he wants to play for max money with a sign and trade like Lebron.

18. smr6

smr6 Member

Afraid to be the villain and too blinded to see that is going to be one no matter what.

19. slpntz

slpntz Member

Because he's a diva!

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

two reasons...

first... being he wanted to be traded to brooklyn and was about to be traded to houston... maybe orlando and otis smith "blackmailed" him into opting in hoping to retain him or maybe he was scared that he'd actually land in houston and didnt wanna play for us... he wants two play for the nets and dwill but mostly he wants his max money...

which leads to two... he wants the extra 30mill that bird rights gives you... if he were to opt out and get traded, in order to walk to brooklyn he would be forced to take less money... he showed his true colors when opting in, he wants that extra cash...

your SnT example of cleveland and dan gilbert is under the old CBA... under the new CBA you cant SnT bird rights... you can still SnT to a team without cap space but you cant give him bird rights money...

i dont exactly know the figures(jopat,CH,bima would) but under the new CBA a free agent can get offered X amount of money from every-team with a certain percentage in increased money per year... something like 18mill with 110%raises(NOT official numbers, just an example) and only 4 years... while the team he is currently with and owns his bird rights can offer the same 18mill with something like 120% raises(again not official, just an example) and can also offer up 5 years...

you see dwight definately wants to play for brooklyn with his buddy dwill... but (as plenty have stated) he wants his cake and eat it too... he tried forcing a trade to the nets so he could get that extra year and extra money while also playing for the team of his choice...

1 person likes this.