1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Grades

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 30, 2016.

?

How do you grade the 2016 Texans draft?

1. A+

7.6%
  2. A

14.1%
  3. A-

19.6%
  4. B+

30.4%
  5. B

16.8%
  6. B-

5.4%
  7. C+

3.3%
  8. C

0.5%
  9. C-

0.5%
  10. D

1.6%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Just as long as it is better than Andre and Jacoby, I'll be happy.

2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

If we are looking at comparison wants... lets just have him beat Nate washington:

14 games 47rec 95trgts 658yards 14.0avg 4tds

3. Summer Song Giver

In the new NFL, speed kills. I hope this draft really cements the offensive side of things for the next 5-10 years.

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

A+ because we finally drafted for offense.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Vivi told me she gave it an A-

6. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I like this draft a lot but I still kinda hoped we would have picked a young QB as a future insurance policy. Not going to cry over spilled milk. No excuses for Brock though, he has all the weapons in the world.

7. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

We have one right now in Tom Savage. If you wanted to draft a QB better than him then you would have had to replace one of the picks that the team took last week. My biggest question is Ervin; but if he is a possible ST guy or spot RB then I'd rather have that than a new third guy holding a clipboard.

8. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

No you don't, trailer-park. The criticism involves the trade up for Martin.

9. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

"trailer-park?" I neither know; nor care what you mean by that. That said, if we are talking about picking Miller then are you suggesting that the Texans should have passed on a guy who could possibly be a starting center for many years in favor of a backup quarterback?

10. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

We did pick up a young QB. One of the best in the nation before he got hurt...ot just happens that he plays WR at the moment. Braxton Miller has to be our emergency QB after next year right..Hes got to be better than Shane Lechlar right?

11. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

They lost a sixth-round pick, needlessly, to trade up 2 spots to get Martin.

12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Havent seen much from him yet but I agree that he seems more than a spot duty back. Isnt he a really good receiver at RB? Could be valuable on passing downs and also running routes against lbs and box safeties. Didnt seem like the other backs were good receivers? But I don't know a lot about them. Versatility is king these days in the NFL. Pats have been getting versatile guys with NFL skills for years. Now i need to watch some tape to see if my opinion actually makes sense. Guys like Riddick, Dunbar, Ellington, little dude on the Pats are becoming more valuable. Hopefullu Ervin can show flashes like these guys and contribut on special teams.

13. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

You have no idea if it was needed or not.

There were 2 centers worth a crap in this draft and one went in the first round. The whole league knew we needed a center, so anyone who liked Martin would have known to trade up in front of us to get him.

It's like our fanbase forgets that they killed the front office for letting Bridgewater get stolen from us. And Garrapolo. And Arthur Brown. And Tyler Lockett.

They saw a guy they wanted and made sure they got him at the appropriate time in the draft. Absolutely no problem with that strategy whatsoever.

2 people like this.
  14. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Take a look at the previous years receivers.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, me neither. 6th rounders don't usually come back to haunt teams. There's not much difference between a 6th rounder and an undrafted FA, frankly.

Anyway, I'm glad we drafted for offense for a change. Like others have said, the Ervin pick was kind of a head-scratcher. I was hoping we'd get a replacement for Crick like that Allen kid from Alabama. But I see that he wasn't even drafted, so I guess that shows you how much I know.

Hoping the Fuller pick works out and none of those WRs we passed on go on to be stars for other teams...

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Little known fact that never gets mentioned anywhere (definitely not ESPN), but Tom Brady was a 6th round draft pick. I'm serious! Google it if you don't believe me.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Y'all always rate drafts a B-something, then complain in 2 years saying you knew it sucked. Except the time we got Watt over Fairly, that time you guys cried immediately and gave it an F.

Ultimately, every team drafts poorly with the exception of about 4 per year.

18. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

As all drafts go, hard to grade until they play. This draft is also dependent on how BoB changes the offense. This draft and FA class tells me we are going completely opposite of a ball control offense. Nothing spent on TE, addition of a ton of speed both at WR and RB, big arm qb, means we should be a more uptempo offense, which if done right should be fun to watch.

I really wish we would have addressed the other DE position. I think that is a huge hole right now.

19. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I guess I don't get comments like this. Do we really think that our front office doesn't see the giant hole opposite JJ? If there was someone that they thought was worth drafting there, then they would have done it. The only thing worse than not drafting a DE would be settling for a DE that you really don't think can get the job one because it is a "need." Drafting a crappy player doesn't fill that hole, it just appeases fans for a couple of months.

There's no doubt that we need a solution there. But it is obvious that the guys in charge didn't trust any of the options. Time will tell if they are right.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not everybody is in love with the Texans draft. Yahoo ranked them in the bottom 10 draft classes

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...-picks/ar-BBsup1L?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp#page=7

25. Houston Texans

Picks: WR Will Fuller (21st), C Nick Martin (50th), WR Braxton Miller (85th), RB Tyler Ervin (119th), SS KJ Dillon (159th), DT D.J. Reader (166th)

Some are high on the Texans’ haul, but is this offense really any better after the team drafted two receivers who aren’t natural pass catchers? Martin will be a solid player, but the rest of the class is boom-or-bust.