1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A real Death Star?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohen, Mar 18, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Nemesis: Does the Sun Have a 'Companion'?

The trouble with most folks isn't so much their ignorance. It's know'n so many things that ain't so." -- A favorite quote of Richard A. Muller, by 19th century humorist Josh Billings.

Like a thorn in the side of mainstream researchers, Muller's Nemesis theory -- that our Sun has a companion star responsible for recurring episodes of wholesale death and destruction here on Earth -- seems to reemerge periodically like microbes after a mass extinction.

It's a theory that has many detractors. And it's a theory that has been beaten down and left for dead in the minds of most scientists.

Yet it is a theory that just won't die.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/nemesis_010320-1.html

As a kid I ignorantly thought that we at least knew what we didn't know. :)

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i was surprised to read that this article was written by some guy named Grand Moff Tarkin. [​IMG]

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Certainly not beyond the realm of possibility. But my first question would be why? What purpose does nemesis have?

Obviously one of destruction. But destruction in the universe usually means the breaking down of something to build something else. But I don't see anything about the theory that involves rebuilding. Or even suggests it. If I saw that I could believe it.

Blackholes make sense to me. Because they are destroying material and likely rebuilding on the other side. Ripping apart the fabric of the universe into building blocks. Then rebuilding it. But This nemeis sun doesn't seem to really do that. I just don't understand or I can't compehend it's purpose after reading the article. Which is what I need to believe it.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Somebody call Art Bell!

5. Cohen

PSJ,

What do you mean 'purpose'? You mean from God's perspective?
    :confused:

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Maybe that's where Superman came from.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

No No. Purpose as in part of a life cycle. As in part of the Biology of the Universe.

Here is a poor example, but if Nemesis caused the breakup of the solar system so that a new solar system could be formed, which ultimately led to the production of excess Hydrogen. I would say, ok, I know that it's destructive forces had a purpose. It set something in motion. The purpose of ultimately building up the Universe's Hydrogen supply.

But as stated, it has no purpose other than to extinguish a life force. I just can envision the significance.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Along similar lines, Mimas, a moon of Saturn, actually looks like the death star. See the photo below:

[​IMG]

It the largest known impact crater in the Solar System, covering 1/3 of the bredth of the moon. A similar impact on earth would create a crater wider than Canada.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What significance does neptune have? None, it exists because relative density of extrasolar material potentiated it's being formed where it is. The only purpose anything has is the purpose we assign it to make it fit our narative.

BTW, from an evolutionary standpoint, mass extinctions are pretty important. If nothing ever went extinct the trilobites would still rule the earth. Be thankfull that things die. Otherwise there'd be no room for you.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Hmmmmm it does look a little familiar doesn't it...

11. Cohen

Tell the truth...you scanned in pictures of your own Star Wars models, didn't you? ;)

12. PhiSlammaJamma

That's your opinion, but I certainly don't share it. When we look on the micro level every little discovery appears to have a biological purpose. What's that Hydrogen atom doing in that particle? We ask ourselves. Then we figure it out. The rules of science tells us what it does. almost every thing on the micro level has some purpose. Why do we assume that on the macro level some things don't. Neptune must in my opinion.

Neptune isn't just sitting there. it's moving at an incredibly rapid rate of speed. As is the Galaxy. As is the universe probably. My assumption is that is has purpose. That the solar system has a purpose. And that the Galaxy has a purpose. If all Neptune is doing is holding together a much larger particle that is the purpose I'm looking for. That makes Sense to me. Because it's part of a stable system. I'm willing to take the leap that it's a structural element at this point.

Nemeis and Neptune are different in that one exists and one doesn't as of today. So it's hard to compare. But if they told me that Nemis had some function it would make a lot more sense me to assume it's real. To understand it. But's it's fictional for right now so I need something more to comprehend it.

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

Something wrong with having Star Wars toys as an adult??

14. PhiSlammaJamma

I had:
    Hoth base,
    Milennium Falcon
    Boba Fett's Ship
    Snow Speeder
    Darth Vaders Chamber on Cruiser

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

My brother saved all of our Star Wars toys when we were growing up. He even kept alot of them in their packaging. Those things shot up in value when Phantom Menace came out. He ended up sellling them all on EBAy and made thousands.

16. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Maybe we're all pets in some other being's terranium.

17. Uncle_Tim

Uncle_Tim Member

That's funny stuff :D

On a serious note, I didn't know folks who actually possessed at least an average IQ actually frequented this BBS. I guess all of the subpar humanoids just look at GARM. No redundant arguments or insulting going on in here either. Wow.

Interesting article on the nemesis. I am not much of a believer in evolution as I believe in Creation, but the presence of fossils leaves many questions. I suppose if God wanted us to know He would've told us or else he is letting us do what He intended for us to do when He installed Graymatter 1.0: scientific research. Anyway, back to the subject at hand, it is a scary thought that in my lifetime that life as we know it could end. I guess we would have to study Deep Impact and Armageddon for the answers, kind of like Galaxy Quest.

18. ckahlich001

ckahlich001 Member

this glass bead related to the article LOOKS like a death star!
    (click on the physicist's "big findings")
    [​IMG]

*scootches_glasses_up_on_nose*

19. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

i thought our sun's original intended pair was supposed to be jupiter, but it just barely missed the critical mass threshold. not to say there can't be another older star. just my two cents. :p

20. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

That's no moon...