1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 3, 2014.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

New year for smart phones.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/3/5375762/samsung-flagship-product-mobile-world-congress

MWC later this month.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The only way I'll buy a Galaxy S5 is if there is a micro SD slot and a better build quality. Also, a really good camera, and some waterproofing would easily sway me, as well.

I have my eye on switching to TMobile in May-ish. Maybe sooner. I'm eyeing the Xperia Z1s. Love the camera and the waterproofing, as I'd love to have my phone on me when I kayak/travel.

I'm curious to see what comes out by the time I can get off this contract in May (unless I leave sooner), and probably leave Sprint for good. I've finally had enough with their crap network and empty promises.

3. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

T-Mobile pay your etf so might as well switch now

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Anybody know when are the release dates for the S5 and Iphone 6?

5. Two Sandwiches

They do, and that's great. It's one of the things that drew me to them. But you still pay your early termination and then they reimburse you. I'm not totally sold on their network, though, abs they have a 14 day grace period to return the phone without paying for it. Thus, a situation could arise where I'm either forced to stay on another network I hate, or I'm forced to eat my early termination fee and return to Sprint and they're scrappy network. I want to limit my potential risks and the best way to do that may be to wait.

6. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Based on the past few years, the S5 should be out in March or April, and the iPhone 6 in September or October.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I thought the early termination fee that TMobile pays is with family plans, not individual? Maybe they changed it, but I tried a couple weeks ago and was told I need a family plan.

8. Two Sandwiches

Really? I thought it was anybody.

Edit: From their website:

"Who is this offer designed for?

Individuals and families (up to five lines) who are currently under a postpaid contract at carriers including AT&T, Sprint or Verizon and want to switch to T-Mobile."

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

This might not be the best place to put this post, it might warrant it's own thread but I figured I'd post it here anyways:

Right now Microsoftstore.com is running a deal where you get a year of Xbox Music and a Lumia 520 off contract for $99 total (or 521 for TMo). Normally Xbox music is $119 and the Lumia is $99 so essentially you're getting the music service for free. It's not the iPhone 6s/c/t/f/w or whatever letter code they go with, but if you think about it, it's a decent backup phone plus a year of unlimited music. Plus, even if you want your primary phone to run android or iOS this music pass will still work. Totally worth it if you ask me.

1 person likes this.
  10. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

i hope we do not get that Broadway presentation they did for the S4 last year, that was horrible to watch live on the stream

1 person likes this.
  11. krnxsnoopy

If I have Verizon, would my S4 still work if I switch to T-mobile? Considering the move for the Unlimited everything and T-mobile reimbursing the contract cancellation.

1 person likes this.
  12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

WTF!!! The lady told me family plans only...wow.

Thanks for the info. Repped once I spread it around.

13. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Is their any iphone 6 news on when it's coming out or what's new about it?

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

You would have to get it unlocked by verizon. I think those are world ready phones so it should have a gsm radio in it.

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

Previous iPhone release dates:

iPhone 1st gen June, 2007
    iPhone 3G July, 2008
    iPhone 3GS June, 2009
    iPhone 4 June, 2010
    iPhone 4s October, 2011
    iPhone 5 September, 2012
    iPhone 5s/5c September, 2013

Has to be either June or Sept.

1 person likes this.
  16. krnxsnoopy

I see. Thanks.. Will Verizon unlock my phone if I'm under contract?

17. johnnytsunami

johnnytsunami Member

A lot of contradicting rumors about the release date, but with the sale of Moto to Lenovo, many think that it could push up the release. Still, I wouldn't expect it before June.

As for new features, the rumors are the display will be sapphire crystal, ~4.7in (and another phablet model ~5.5in), improved camera features (though the MP is expected to stay the same at 8), possibly liquid metal body and/or solar powered tech infused into the sapphire crystal screen, quad-core A8 and iOS8.

Per usual with Apple rumors, take them with a grain of salt. You can never be too sure until they themselves release info (though they've been a bit more predictable after Cook took over).

1 person likes this.
  18. Two Sandwiches

Another reason why I don't see myself buying a Samsung smartphone: so called "Gadget Spam."

While this is a general problem with the Android market, Samsung takes it to a whole new level. Reports show that they are going to carry on with a main Galaxy S5 and the Active and Zoom versions of it. My questions: Can't all of this go into one super phone? Why do I have to choose if I want a water/dust resistant phone, or a phone with a better lense, or a regular version? These changes are subtle. Can't they all go in one phone? Just stupid...

#18 Two Sandwiches, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  19. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Supposed specs of S5 & iPhone 6:

[​IMG]

Also, Best Buy is offering $50 towards your next cell phone if you buy from them. No strings attached, but you have to register by the 15th of Feb. and T-Mobile subscribers aren't eligible. You then have until Dec. 31st to get a new phone, but if you don't use it, the offer just expires. I haven't upgraded my phone in almost 3 years so this may be the incentive I need to get my lazy ass to finally get a new phone. Please make sure to read the links below as there are a few other specifics and details in regards to the Best Buy deal.

Here are the details for the Best Buy offer:

http://bgr.com/2014/01/31/iphone-6-galaxy-s5-price-discount/

http://www.bby.com/buy-your-next-mobile-phone-at-best-buy-get-50/

You can sign up for the Best Buy offer here:

https://www-ssl.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17413&type=page&promoCode=RESERVE3

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

This coming from a guy who still rocks a Blackberry Curve...