1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston apartment supply higher than demand in 2015

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Nov 21, 2014.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I hate appeals to the authority of random rich guys. Who cares? There's other rich guys who also qualify as smart, and by smart here, we mean "rich" who are on the other side of his trade. Nobody knows with certainty, and if they did, they wouldn't be blabbing about it on TV.

2. downbytheriver

True, but the fact is houston cannot sustain the housing growth with the way oil prices are trending currently. There won't be any burst but don't expect prices to go up.

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I think the thing is, supply as been lower than demand for the past couple years. You are now seeing supply finally reach and exceed demand. Slowdowns in housing general happen around the winter time as people do not want to move during the winter. It will be interesting to see the numbers in the Spring/Summer.

Just like The Woodlands has Exxon to the south, there has been plenty of corporate expansions in the energy corridor and westchase that will keep demand up for housing in Katy/Fulshear/North Richmond.

Also, even though office is slowing down (can't boom like the last two years forever and new construction is being completed), you still have other ancillary areas like hospitals, schools, retail, etc., that still need to be constructed for all of the new people that are filling in those office towers. Right now, there is a huge boom in all of the support construction. Similar to how the medical center boomed in the early 2000s, there is talk of another R&D area just immediately to the south, for example. Having said that, Houston still leads the nation in office construction by a wide margin.

So even though the former mobster Tillman Fertitta claims that an 80s bust is coming soon for Houston, I have a hard time believing him. He just wants to pouch on properties tbh.

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

You clearly don't read his posts on HAIF....this is his m.o. and it gets pretty tiresome.

5. da1

da1 Member

Constructive criticism is necessary. You sound like that lions fan that wanted to fight Brandon Marshall because he said something about detroit. Remove your emotions and take it for what it is. Or just cry some more like a 15 year old girl sweetie.

6. SWTsig

If I thought you were sincere in your "constructive criticism" I'd have no issues with your posts. Unfortunately you try to pass a lot of biased information as fact and are unrelenting in your refusal to hear anything that goes against your preconceived notion. Your idea of constructive criticism is really just criticism.... constructive implies that you actually provide some insight into addressing said critique. "GHP lol" hardly counts.

7. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Moot point since not all of those 24,000 units will be completed next year...

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

1) What percentage of Houston jobs are oil jobs?
    2) What percentage of those oil jobs are even dependent on high oil prices?

9. da1

da1 Member

I don't really care what you think. I'm sincere in my opinion because I eant India to improve and I've seen the best cities in the world and want it to be at least in the same conversation. Right now it's not. Sure the industry is great but it is in Kazakhstan as well does that make it a great place to live? Be honest with yourself not delusional.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

India?

[​IMG]

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Yes but what does this mean the the 30k Millionarios?

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Not sure if trolling, or if you really think that SWT = "sweet."

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

exactly

It has always stood for supreme wang tickler

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This holds for the market average or for every single complex?

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Disagree. It all depends on your situation. If you can find a house you like in a part of town you plan to live in for the long-term then it does make sense to buy. When your mortgage is up you will no longer have significant living costs. You can also gain an asset to pass to future generations.

You don't need to rent your house for it to be an asset. Just live in it long enough. Unless you die you are going to have to live somewhere.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I absolutely meant to imply it was situational. I was just attacking the perception that home buying is good in general. I was replying to a specific post that stated he couldn't make the buying vs renting numbers work and I suggested it was probably because they didn't - in his case specifically...

Assumed it was clear, especially since I posted about owning a house myself.

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

not Single White Transexual?

sorry SWTsig - couldn't help myself. I went to southwaste too so I get a hall pass

#77 studogg, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Jesus move them to Austin

19. SWTsig

Supple Wrinkly t***

20. Faust

Faust Member

i pay $400 a month for a 1 bed/bath apartment. i sure hope these new apartments get built soon because i cant afford to live anywhere safer in this city.