1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I like Demarcus Cousins' game...

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The kid is playing very well on ESPN against South Carolina. With all the attention on John Wall, it's easy to forget about Kentucky's other great players. This team is absolutely stacked, and in my opinion, would almost be a failure if it didn't win the national championship this year.

The things I like about Cousins, is that a.) he's BIG. 6'11" 280 pounds, with a wingspan of about 7 and a half feet, standing reach of about 9 feet. The guy is big. He's got a pretty developed body for a freshman, and is extremely strong for the college game. He dominates the paint with sheer size and brute. b.) he's fairly athletic. For his size, cousins shows decent footwork. He moves well around the rim. I would easily put him in the top 10 in the NCAA in footwork around the rim. He is still a little raw in the post game, but if we got this guy in and worked him against Hakeem, he could be something special. c.) he's got great hands. The guy catches just about everything thrown his way. He's constantly tipping the ball in and around the basket.

The cons are that he is still somewhat raw. I haven't seen enough of his defensive game to know if he's an adequate shot-blocker for the wingspan, either.

I could see him, with a little development being an all-star caliber power forward or (probably) center in the NBA. I would not be opposed to drafting him if/should he declare and if/should we get a lottery pick. I think he could potentially soften the eventual blow of a Yao decline, as well as give us some much needed size.

2. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

This guy makes John Wall's life a bit easier..

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

DeMarcus has been playing well... and he's matured quite a bit as the season has progressed.

He's a very immature 18.. but he's very very talented... and you can't teach his size.

4. Two Sandwiches

That's one thing I forgot to say. He's extremely emotional on the court. You have to take the good with the bad on that. I bet someone like Battier would do wonders working with him when it comes to emotional issues....

5. Two Sandwiches

20 points and 10 rebounds with 12 minutes left, and the 6 foot 11, 280 pound big man just did a semi-break-away reverse lay-up under the basket. :grin:

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yep simply amazing for someone his size.

7. Hayesfan

Yeah coach has done a good job with him psychologically. He's playing with a lot of intensity, but early on people were getting to him... now he's doing much better at ignoring them and doing his thing.

This team is so talented it's really hard to pick on them, but they are so young it's hard not to expect them to do those things that drive you crazy.

D is having one of his best games this season tonight... you're getting a treat. He had a good game last week too. As the season goes on I figure he will get more and more comfortable on the court... as he does his draft stock will stay high. He started out low first high second because of his maturity issues in the past... now he's up in the top 10.

8. Two Sandwiches

I think he'll end up being a big reason why Kentucky will win the title.

If their three freshman were to stay together for four years, I think you'd see a possible four-peat.(I know this will never happen)

9. Hayesfan

John won't be back.. Cal won't let him. DeMarcus likely won't either and Patrick will graduate this spring so if they get to the finals he will have met all his goals... and he won't be able to increase his stock anymore.

Bledsoe may stay... but he's the only one.

10. Hayesfan

Deavan Downey is just insane.. he's just throwing it up there and they are going in...

unreal.

He's like Aaron Brooks on crystal meth.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kentucky locked in a tight one! Kentucky in this with all freshman if I heard the broadcasters right. No one other than the freshman have scored in the entire game? Crazy..

12. sammy

It may seem that way but he's actually 9-28 from the field.

13. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

kentucky going to be #1 for a day?

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

And down goes another #1! So who is the best team in the nation? Kansas? Kentucky? Texas? Villanova?

Someone check on Hayesfan. Loss by Kentucky and recent losses by the Rockets, she might be on the edge!

15. Two Sandwiches

Still think Kentucky is the best team in the land.

Crazy performance by Downey. He had a bad percentage, but some of the shots he was hitting were just crazy. Guy could be an Aaron Brooks type, but could also be a Morris Almond type, which is kind of the way I see him. Hard to judge him when he has little help and is taking half his teams' shots, though. The guy has good enough handles, and seems to have decent court vision, though. You never know....too bad he doesn't have a little more height...

16. sammy

I doubt it. I would be chilling if I was a UK fan.

17. reckonerone42

reckonerone42 Member

Deavan Downey. That is all. Wow.

18. Hayesfan

LOL yeah I am fine... UK had to lose at some point.. this was one of the games I had as a tough one (we will likely lose two more in the SEC)

But thank you for thinking of me! :)

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

I had a feeling South Carolina would win this game :(

Good lord Patrick Patterson and Eric Bledsoe where were you tonight?

20. Hayesfan

Patrick only touched the ball on rebounds... they didn't try to post him up once. Not ONCE!