1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MIT steals comic book design

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Aug 29, 2002.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

[​IMG]

School Admits Copying Comic Book's Soldier Image
    Thu Aug 29, 9:36 AM ET
    By Greg Frost

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (Reuters) - When MIT announced in March that it won a $50 million grant to design high-tech gear for the U.S. Army's "soldier of the future," the project was hailed as the stuff of science fiction and comic book heroes.

It turns out there was a lot more to those plaudits than most people realized.

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology grudgingly acknowledged on Wednesday that it copied images from the sci-fi comic book "Radix" as part of its winning bid to host a research center that aims to make soldiers partly invisible and allow them to clear 20-foot walls in a single bound.

But with the Canadian creators of "Radix" crying foul and weighing their legal options, the tale may not end there.

The illustration in question -- a masked female soldier -- appeared on page 13 of a grant proposal MIT submitted to the Pentagon to host the high-tech Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies.

When MIT won the grant, beating out other schools such as Cornell University, national news media used the image to illustrate the kinds of futuristic warrior gear that the institute hoped to develop.

"It was an innocent use," MIT spokesman Ken Campbell said. "We didn't know it was from anyone else's artwork." The university issued a statement explaining its stance on Wednesday after an article appeared in the Boston Globe.

click for complete story

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 rockHEAD, Aug 29, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2002
  2. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

3. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Wow, Image creators saying people copied them? What's next? :rolleyes:

4. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I say the research grant goes to the comic book illustrator... I like his style...

5. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

whats the deal with the white skinned face and black skinned stomach?

6. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I think it's the color of the armor. It doesn't take an MIT professor to figure out that a good armor should cover the stomach... :D

7. lpbman

lpbman Member

more importantly

the school that can actually do the job best, should get the grant

if that's still MIT, they should keep the project

they didn't publish this design, they are actually building it
    it's like Arthur C. Clark being ticked at NASA for building a space station

8. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

It looks like a copyright infringement, so I think the creators should have at least a small portion of the grant. But then again, I just realized the creators are Canadians, so it wouldn't break my heart if they don't collect a cent.