1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the oldest appliance you still use?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A-Train, Sep 3, 2003.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

It can be anything from an oven to an electric mixer.

I have this microwave that's about ten years old. When I moved out, my parents said I could have it and they got one of those newfangled convection oven things. I think it's possessed, though, because it will randomly turn on by itself and won't stop unless I unplug it. Other than that, it works great...

2. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Clothes washer and dryer (8 years old) that my grandma gave to me when I moved.
    Still both work great!

3. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

Most likely, it's our stove. It was already here when we moved in 7+ years ago and, judging by the looks of it then, it had already been in use for quite a few years. It still gets the job done, though.

Just about all of our appliances date from when we moved in. One by one, they're starting to break down, too. The latest was the clothes dryer which went on strike earlier this year. It still spins, it just doesn't ever get warm. Sadly, we're still using it like that -- now it takes about eight hours to dry a load of laundry. :rolleyes:

4. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

We have a gas-powered edger that looks like it's from the sixties or earlier.

5. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

A 1955 Sunbeam Radiant Control Toaster!

Mom bought it new and kept it in shape. Dad kept it in working order. And I use the heck out of it. I still have to tweak it during it's annual clean up though.

It's my only appliance that I'm so deligent at maintaining...for obvious reasons.

RR

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The oldest appliance I use is a 1962 Fender Telecaster.

Whoops! You meant kitchen appliance....

The oldest thing I have which I still sometimes use is an old-timey stovetop coffee "boiler". It isn't even a percolator. It's a carafe that fits on the stove...fill the top part with coffee, the bottom part with water, and boil. I like to use it for after-dinner flavored coffee.

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Big electronic stuff is fair game, too...I hear those old amps and stuff from the 60's and 70's is some of the best stuff around. My mother in-law just got rid of a TV from the late 70's/early 80's that she still used until a couple months ago...

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Have you ever had a clothes line versus heatless dryer race? I would put money on the clothes line.

I use an ice crusher from the 1950's at home, for cocktails, natch.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

A pioneer receiver from the early 80's. Keep thinking to upgrade, but other priorities keep coming up.

10. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

I've tried, but it's so humid here that it really isn't much faster. Then when I factor in being attacked by mosquitos, birds crapping on the clothes and everything ending up stiff and scratchy, I'm afraid the heatless dryer still wins the race.

The most pathetic part of this is, we actually bought a brand new electric dryer several months ago (our dying one is gas) and it is just sitting there -- but it will require some re-wiring of the laundry room to actually use it. And, somehow, we just haven't gotten around to doing that yet (even though our next door neighbor is an electrician). I guess this is what happens when two world-class procrastinators end up living together.

11. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Gateway ES3000 Computer....

12. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

In that case, count me in with my 1982 Pleasure Pony 4000 "massage tool"

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've got a Pioneer amp from the mid '70's that I keep taking apart and cleaning. I've gotten to where I wish the damn thing would just croak so I can convince the wife we need new stuff. :p

The damn thing won't die.

14. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Sansui 9090DB Receiver from 1976 or 77 and Bose 601s from 1976

15. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

My parent's old rice cooker. Sometimes I fear that I'm eating aluminum.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I forgot about this one... I made it through grad school with one of these babies. It's still in the garage with my thesis on the hard drive. (My eyesight has not been the same since.) Haven't cranked it up in a few years.

[​IMG]

17. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

At the farm house we have a stove and oven that are stainless steel. On my last trip there the stove finally died and was going to cost more to fix than to replace. When we took it out the mfg date was a Westinghouse from April of 1953, and the oven that still works is a matching oven.

That being said, I assume the answer to your question would be 50 years.

18. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I have an old Dynaco stereo tube amp hooked up in my garage that I used at our theatre until I got better amps last year. It's from the mid 60s, I think. It still cranks out the sounds when I'm in the shop though!

oomp

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Does anything last longer than good stereo equipment?

20. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

oomp....you should go check out the bbs at www.klipsch.com.

There's a pretty lively tube amp contingent there. I finally got one myself....but it's a replica.