1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Corey Brewer a free agent in 2015 or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Feb 20, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

From the 2/20/15 Morey 790 interview:
    If the Rockets requested that Brewer drop his player option, what's the plan then? A long term contract?

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The plan is they will figure out what they want to do about Brewer in the offseason. I don't think re-signing him is their priority because they will be looking, yet again, for a big impact player to add to this team.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If there's a big impact player available this offseason and they choose him over Brewer, that's fine. But if Morey lets him walk so he can keep the Durant pipe dream alive for the following summer, that's doing a major disservice to the team and the fans heading into the 2015-16 season.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A very good point.

6. justtxyank

Well get ready for Brewer to walk while the Rockets hold onto flexibility.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Besides Harden he's absolutely the most fun, energizing player to watch on this team. If we lose him this Summer I'm gonna be pretty angry faced. Big, big fan.

8. justtxyank

I think it all comes down to whether the Rockets can get the third piece they want this offseason. If they can, they'd probably love to keep Brewer. If they can't then it's hard to imagine them locking him up long term and tying up their resources.

9. count_dough-ku

That's stupid. The odds of Durant coming here in a year and a half are very slim. You'd think after the Melo-Bosh-Parsons gamble last summer that blew up in their faces, Morey and Les would take advantage of a good thing while they've got it. Quality depth is not something that's easy to acquire in the NBA. Just ask the 1997, 2005, and 2007 Rockets.

10. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Morey better not let him walk. In the playoffs guys like Corey Brewer can win you some games (outside of scoring).

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

Dragic no trust syndrome would spread NBA if Moray play around with Brewer

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Ef the pipe-dream of KD. Brewer needs to be retained.

13. okeezie

okeezie Member

Just keep in mind that McHale and Morey love Brewer and they have been trying to get him for years. McHale drafted him with the 7th pick in the 2007 draft. They will not lose Brewer based on future flexibility. If he leaves it will be other reasons like an insane offer from another team. They love the guy and they can go over the cap to resign him. That is why they asked him to decline the option. You can possibly sign Josh Smith or someone else into cap space and then go over the cap to resign Brewer. My guess is they make every effort to resign Brewer as the only way to acquire a star player this off-season is through trade.

14. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Brewer is already having a big impact on our team. I couldn't ask for more from him. He brings instant offense to the second unit and is a constant pest and intensifies passing pressure for the other team. If we got someone the likes of Durant, for instance, how much MORE could he bring to the team than the combination of Smith and Brewer?

I hope its all being evaluated correctly in the FO

15. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

At some point we have to start hanging on to guys. I think Brewer is someone who needs to be apart of this at least until this title window closes.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Brewer agreeing to waive his PO as a condition for the Rockets trading for him is a bit suspect for conversations being made behind closed doors for the Rockets to have a plan to both make waves in free agency this Summer AND keep Brewer.

I don't think Brewer agrees to waive his player option that early, and before being traded without knowing something about the Rockets plans for him long term.

The Rockets chased him hard and gave up two picks to get him. I don't think they let him go into free agency without really good reason this Summer, and more than likely they already have a plan to bring him back anyways.

Not too worried about it.

17. okeezie

okeezie Member

Trade route is most likely for upgrade, not free agency. In 2016 the cap goes up and Dwight will opt out so cap space will not be an issue. A modest contract for Brewer and/or Smith will not affect any 2016 signings.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I have to question the validity of this statement .... Mainly because the Rockets cant generate much cap space , if any unless they move Ariza and even then its less than $8m with 4-5 open roster spots.
    They will be operating above the cap from the outset of this offseason. They wont be adding a big name thru free agency or with existing cap space, if they add anyone it will be thru a trade & salaries will have to match.

Currently they are $12.913 over the cap and will only be $1.13m under the cap with the following players contracts coming off the books (Not including any increase in the cap or cap holds for open roster spots - essentially they will remain over the cap).

Terry $5.85m
    Brewer $4.7m
    Smith $2.07m
    PatBev $915k
    McDaniels $507k

They will have Bird rights on PatBev & Terry and Early Bird rights on Brewer.

They have no Bird rights on Josh Smith and if they retain him , it must be done with cap space a salary exception or a min contract - the only exception they have is the MLE.
    McDaniels will be a restricted FA without bird rights , they will have the right to match but must sign him using cap space an exception or a min contract.

It's almost a no brainer to retain both Brewer & Terry under those circumstances .... if for nothing else but to be able to use their salaries for matching purposes later in the season.
    I think it also likely they keep PatBev too .... pending the numbers are reasonable because the only option to replace him is with a vet min contract or that MLE that is needed for multiple players as it is.

Don't forget that they have two draft picks both of which will either have to be stashed overseas or paid out of the MLE.

The team you see today is likely the same one you see opening night next season with the biggest questionmark being Josh Smith & whether or not they stash draft picks.

19. count_dough-ku

That's my hope. It was no secret the Rockets wanted to deal for him, even dating back to last season I think. One would assume the organization wouldn't do that for a half-season rental. And you can tell Harden loves playing with him too. Flexibility is nice and all, but so is keeping your franchise player happy. I don't think Harden's gonna be too pleased if the Rockets give up their bench in order to chase after Durant or any other 2016 free agent.