1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

House Passes GOP Bill To Bypass President To Speed Approval Of Keystone XL Oil Pipeline

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, May 23, 2013.

1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

WASHINGTON — House Republicans pushed through a bill Wednesday to bypass the president to speed approval of the Keystone XL oil pipeline from Canada to Texas. Democrats criticized the legislation as a blatant attempt to allow a foreign company to avoid environmental review.

The bill was approved, 241-175, largely along party lines.

Republicans said the measure was needed to ensure that the long-delayed pipeline, first proposed in 2008, is built.

“This is the most studied pipeline in the history of mankind,” said Rep. Lee Terry, R-Neb., the bill’s sponsor.

“When is enough enough?” added Rep. Jeff Denham, R-Calif. “Five years? Six years? Ten years?”

But Rep. Raul Grijalva, D-Ariz., called the bill a “reckless attempt to avoid environmental review.” The bill would deem the project approved without a presidential permit, as required under current law, and with no further environmental review. The legislation also would limit legal challenges to the project.

The White House says President Barack Obama opposes the bill because it would “circumvent longstanding and proven processes” by removing the requirement for a presidential permit.

The $7 billion pipeline, proposed by Calgary-based TransCanada, would carry oil extracted from tar sands in western Canada to refineries along the Texas Gulf Coast. The 1,700-mile pipeline would travel though Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma on its way to refineries in Houston and Port Arthur, Texas.

Supporters say the pipeline would create thousands of jobs, help lower fuel prices and bolster North American energy resources.

Opponents call the project a “carbon bomb” that would carry “dirty oil” that could trigger global warming. They also worry about a spill. Converting tar sands into oil can uses as much as 15 percent more energy than conventional oil production.

Obama has twice thwarted the pipeline project amid concerns about a proposed route through environmentally sensitive land in Nebraska, even as the White House approved a southern portion of the project from Oklahoma to Texas. The bill approved by the House would apply to an 875-mile portion of the pipeline from Canada to Nebraska.

The State Department, which has completed more than 15,000 pages of environmental review on the proposed pipeline over the years, said in a draft report this spring that the project was unlikely to cause significant environmental impact to most resources along the planned route. The report also said other options to move the oil from Canada to Gulf Coast refineries, such as trucks or rail cars, would be far worse for climate change.

The State Department expects to issue a final report this summer. The department has authority over the pipeline because it crosses a U.S. border.

This latest attempt to speed the pipeline marks at least the fourth time the House has tried to do so.

-------------------

This would bring such a boom to our economy. I really hope this can get done this time.

2. underoverup

underoverup Member

You're a cut and paste machine BM.

1 person likes this.
  3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Just doing his patriotic duty

4. bobmarley

It's news and I think it's important. I wish they stop fighting this.

Do you have an actual comment on the story?

5. Classic

Classic Member

In case anybody wondered:

[​IMG]

6. bobmarley

Do you have a full map of the proposed pipeline?

EDIT:

[​IMG]

#6 bobmarley, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Obama will slow roll this decision like they did with IRS tax exempt applications

No decision is effectively the same as a rejection, without the political fallout

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

They should go ahead and pass Keystone - it goes through flyover states that nobody cares about.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Don't we have a rule around here about linking to sources? I've noticed you do that a lot lately. Not that I think you're making it up, but I much prefer to read articles at the source site rather than on a forum.

10. bobmarley

link

Thanks for reminding me.

I almost always link source unless I forget.

Please link to times I have done it lately?

11. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

The sooner this passes the better. This would be a nice gain for the Houston economy.

12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Why is this a gain for the Houston economy?

13. bobmarley

Because we would get an additional 1-2 million barrels of oil a day from it.

Cha-ching!

Drill baby drill!

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I don't know what you are smoking bob, but I make more money when the price of oil goes up - this will likely drop the price by adding extra crude to the existing stream. Not sure how this helps the Houston economy as the oil has already largely been drilled for and much of it is dug, not drilled.

15. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Not Cha-ching in my opinion. Our Gulf operations would face competition and Houston economy will take a hit. Not sure how big of a hit though.

16. bobmarley

Diversification

17. rage

rage Member

If the oil gets shipped to the Gulf,
    I don't know if it's good for Houston or bad. Oil production in TX and in the Gulf will have competition. Oil refinery will get more work.

It will be bad for the Mid West for sure.

For the US , it's probably a wash unless ....

the Canadian decides to put THEIR oil on tankers and ship it overseas.

18. bobmarley

Shovel ready jobs

19. bucket

bucket Member

As a sort of aside, tar sands are turning Canada's environmental policy to the dark side. Really I just like watching TED talks, and this one's very interesting.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/84zIj_EdQdM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/84zIj_EdQdM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The portion of the keystone pipeline from Oklahoma to Houston has already been approved so we won't be getting anything in terms of new jobs.

The only people who stand to gain anything from this are the refineries in Houston. The other parts of the oil industry in Houston dont stand to gain much of anything (and some will be hurt by this)