1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone have ATT&T U-Verse for their TV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Vanilla Rice, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

I'm switching over from DirecTv this week, and I'm a bit nervous. I fired Time Warner/Comcast 3 years ago and have been very happy with DirecTv. But ATT&T also does my phone and internet, so I bundled it all for $120 per month. I was paying almost $200 before having a mix of ATT&T and DirecTv.

Does anyone else have U-Verse that can vouch for its quality? I've seen in other forums that a lot people don't like it, but I think mostly angry people are the only ones to post in customer service forums. My main concern is picture quality, DirecTv's is excellent.

I am getting a free DVR, free installation, and if I don't like it, I can cancel the service for free too. All of that is nice, but it makes me weary that no one is keeping their service.

Anyone have it? Like it or hate it?

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Like the usability of the DVR and the features of it. Not so fond of the picture quality of the HD though. Only reason why I'm still with them is they keep giving me free channels and discounts. Once my free channels run out I'm gone unless they give me some more.

3. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I have it. Love it. No complaints. Customer service is great.

4. BiGGieStuFF

I agree on the customer service. They are good enough to get me to overlook the PQ at times by giving me freebies. :D

5. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

What problems do you have the HD, and which service did you switch from?

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No HD feed will be better than LOCAL ANTENNA HD. Try to watch the Rockets' home or away games on HD with a thunderstorm while having DiwreckTV. FAIL.

:eek: Service is great, no outages EVER, you get total Home DVR, and you can control your DVR recordings remotely from a website.

7. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Glad to hear it. Have you ever had problems with picture freeze or the sound 'popping'? What part of town are you in?

8. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

LOL. The storms the other night had my wife PO'd because it kept killing her show.

I don't have an OTA antenna for local HD's. Is it really that much better?

9. SwoLy-D

Just in case you EVER just want to test to make sure it's not at&p, Comcrap, DiwreckTV, or DissNetwork's feed that's messing up, have a 10+ db antenna for local channels. I always watch the My20 and ABC 13 games in HD unless I cannot watch something for the entire length of the program. Plus, you will be able to watch all the radar sweep channels, additional channels, etc., that you won't with a paid service :eek:.

HD with antenna, faster >>> HD through a signal of a cable, satellite, or Internet

10. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

I have it. The "guide" system doesn't seem to have a lot of the functions that Time Warner/Comcast had. Like searching based on theme, change the date, etc.

Other than that, I'm fine with the quality of picture and other services.

11. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I have it also and am very happy with it.

To change the date on guide, you just have to push the fast forward button and it goes by day.

12. BiGGieStuFF

Just the high compression in the HD picture quality. DirecTV has a better HD PQ. The background shifting is the biggest annoyance. DTV's HD is closer to OTA than U-verse's in my opinion. I switched from comcast to u-verse because of the promos and the features. I'll probably go to DTV once all my promos are done unless they keep giving me more.

13. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Have had it since Saturday...ditched Dish Network and got U-Verse for the same reason you did. The picture quality is not going to be as good but I got a lot more channels for less money. I switch to the TV and use my antenna when I want to watch local channels in HD.

14. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Only complaint would be that there's no "Reminder" feature. So, if there's something you want to watch, you better record it or hope it comes on again.

I reside in southeast Houston. Never had any major issues. I did experience problem with my internet (USB modem they gave me was crap), so they just provided me with a LAN cable and I hooked directly into the box.

So to answer yr question, never had picture freeze or sound popping.

15. SwoLy-D

What is this "reminder" thing about? :( Please explain. I sure as heck don't have it.

16. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

thanks, i figured there had to be a way.

17. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

Is your antenna something that has to be mounted through the attic? I've never looked into one since I got the channels already through a service, but it sounds like I'm missing the boat.

18. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Yeah, AT&T doesn't have it. When I had Time Warner, you would be able to set a reminder for an upcoming show or whaetever.

AT&T, unfortunately, doesn't have that.

19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I just use a $10 antenna to get my local channels in HD.

20. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

What, like rabbit ears? I gotta go shopping.