1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Houston Rockets are like...........Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clips/Roxfan, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

The Houston Rockets are like...........Daryl Morey

By Paul Tee on Feb 25, 2015, 6:00a 13

With the permission of our esteemed leader, I will take an unconventional and hopefully fresh look at each of the Clippers' opponents by comparing them to something that has nothing to do with the NBA (with the exception of this week). I will feature one to two teams per week. This week, the Houston Rockets have the personality of Daryl Morey, their GM and analytics genius who built them.

http://www.clipsnation.com/2015/2/2...wight-howard-josh-smith-trevor-ariza#comments

2. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Lost me after the 1st paragraph. Championship teams not built on paper, blah, blah, blah....ugh.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wow. U do realize that this is completely different team than one that lost in last postseason to Portland, right?

4. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

The Houston Rockets are like Daryl Morey, deceptively good.

All your draft picks belong to us!

5. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Why would you post this trash ass article? Oh thats right you are a clips fan.

6. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I think it's a generally fair analysis of the team as it stands now...and it may actually be more optimistic about the title chances then I am. I'd be SHOCKED to see this team make the finals.

If there is an issue to me, it's that it has taken their inability to mesh and categorized it as a "soul"/"charisma" deficiency. Call it what it is. Injuries and time.

For example: Ariza/Harden/Howard is an utterly destructive trio, posting +10.9 points per 100 possessions. That's not just "on paper", it's in reality, against other team's starters. But due to the injuries to Howard that trio that should be the team's most used is 4th, and far behind all the other starting unit trios without Howard. Would it shock you to learn that the 5-man starting unit posts a +10.7 with Howard and a -1.1 with Dorsey replacing him (which is similar to the point differential difference between Golden State and New Orleans)? It shouldn't.

With the starters not available, the bench rotation is then disrupted and you never quite reach the equilibrium that's required to maximize 'on paper' potential.

Something's missing, no doubt, but "soul" is such a cop out.

#6 CDrex, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

How odd that a roster should take on the traits of the key personnel decision maker.

8. alethios

alethios Member

The link takes you to the comments which say what most people here are thinking after they read this article.

I see mostly sloppy or boneheaded plays being our main Achilles' heel. The championship caliber teams simply make less mistakes and take higher percentage shots.

9. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

The author seems to ignore the facts of the injuries this season that have precluded the Rockets from having any significant length of time of stability in the rotations. The effect of that on team chemistry is certainly more probable than DM's personality.

The key to our season is coming up...getting a healthy D12 back and a few games under our belt to establish chemistry and rotations. If we get that, an appearance in the WCF would not be surprising at all to me...an appearance in the NBA finals would be pleasantly surprising and an NBA championship from this roster would be a real stunner to me.

Thanks for posting an interesting read.

10. CertifiedTroll

The Houston Rockets are like DM playing Ping Pong... Championship built.

11. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Darn it. This is not analyze who could win who couldn't. It's just the Rockets use analytics therefore you guys don't have chemistry, so you can't win.

The Rockets need to win a championship so badly just to shut the haters up. First thing first, I want Howard to start practicing his free-throws now. :)

12. rockets13champs

get outta here clipsrox fan we gonna beat u tonight