1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Saudi Arabia to lower oil prices, the houston boom is over

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I have found the reasoning behind the price drop interesting. First started with Libya, then delved into consipracies surrounding Russia and Saudi arabia. However, evidence seems to show that US production the biggest factor.

2. Major

Major Member

What do you mean? Outside of a few demand-related claims, it's always been about US shale production. The Saudi/Russia stuff was all in relation to US supply increasing. The conspiracy argument was that Saudi was attempting to drive US production back down - but it was always understood that US production going going up is what caused all of this.

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Not sure if I follow. I did a quick search of this thread for the word "Russia":

No doubt Saudi's rhetoric is aimed to put pressure on the competition, but why would you not argue (or debate) the idea that SA is responsible for the oil price drop?

4. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure what you're saying. US production has skyrocketed, causing a steady drop in oil prices since last summer or so. People thought OPEC/Saudi would respond by lowering their production to counter that. At their big meeting in December (?), they didn't, and that's when the bottom fell out. OPEC was only expected to drop production because US production had increased so much and created excess supply. The two pieces are tied together.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

That's about right, but I think for the Saudi's it's taking a small net loss for the win/win/win/win/win
    1. crush shale as competition on the short term
    2. screw with Russia
    3. screw with Iran
    4. screw with ISIS, from the top and show up the lower family level financiers
    5. Pump up the value of their other $900 billion dollars of world wide investments.

They might even be getting to the tipping point where they make more total return from those than oil if they do well. Lose on oil to make more from airlines, consumer goods, real estate etc. It may serve them better in the long term to stimulate the world economy so the large populations of China and India become bigger consumers.

#825 Dubious, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

7. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

lol

I was expecting the housing to start taking a hit next. Makes it better for me as I am always looking for houses to buy cheap and fix up but the last couple of years have been lean.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

9. Major

Major Member

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This is an important point, and why rig count can be misleading. Not all rigs are created equal regarding their production. The inefficient ones are the first to get shut down.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Is this the official "Getting laid off in O&G thread"?

If so, hi folks. Tomorrow at 10:00am.

I have interviewed for another job in a different area for the same company a couple times and I was told they'd make a decision this week. So it's coming down to the wire. Will this other job (in trading) be offered to me? If so, will it come before I'm laid off (in upstream)? Can they hire me in that other job after I've already been laid off? Who knows. I don't know what's going on, but gotdayum do I hope I get that other job.

1 person likes this.
  12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Aw man. Sorry to hear that. What company are you at, if you can say?

1 person likes this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Check your rep.

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Another round, huh? Sucks. I worked there for about a year as a contractor. I was there because they had already downsized tremendously previously already.
    Good luck man. It will all work out.

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Aww man that sucks. Keep your head up. You'll land back on your feet soon enough.

Just curious as to what percentage of people in your department or company have been let go at this point?

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I really have no idea on the number, only the estimates from what's been unofficially told to some people and passed along. There are so many layers at this company and each is going through the "right-sizing" differently.

I can't give too many details but some teams (mine, for example) are being hit harder than most. We'll see a 60-70% reduction over the next two days. Most teams are seeing a 20-30% reduction.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I work upstream too in O and G. Wonder if we're competitors or even the same company haha

Anyway good luck man. Hope they gave you a good severance package to keep you afloat while you find another job.

18. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

^ Was going to say the same. Luckily we haven't had any lay offs and hopefully it stays that way. I am in upstream and some midstream areas. Keep your head hi buddy. It will work out.

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Deleted double post.

#839 mikol13, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yep, round two for my company as well. First go round was supposed to be 15%, but they laid off 20-25%. Now I'm hearing round two will come this Monday. Guess we will see.

Good luck, hope you get the position.