1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will be the Favorites Out West Next Year? Rockets, Lakers, Hornets or Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TmacsRockets, Apr 30, 2008.

?

Who will be the Favorites Out West Next Year? Rockets, Lakers, Hornets or Spurs

1. Rockets

46.6%
  2. Lakers

44.3%
  3. Hornets

3.4%
  4. Spurs

5.7%
  1. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

Seeing if each team comes back healthy which team will be the favorite to win the west next season your mind without any bias of course. :D

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Barring injuries, I'd go with the Fakers. They're already the #1 seed this season, and they get Bynum back along with a full season with Gasol. Hard to pick against them.

The Rockets would be my #2 choice, again barring injuries. They finished only 2 games out of 1st this year with Yao missing a third of the season. Next year, they'll be more accustomed to Rick Adelman's offense, the rookie trio of Scola, Landry, and Brooks will be more experienced and more confident, and management will have a lot of expiring contracts with which to acquire an additional quality rotation player.

The Hornets will be right up there near the top. For them, it comes down to 2 keys. Stay healthy as injuries have derailed them year after year until this season. And get more depth. They have virtually no bench, and their situation could get even worse if Bonzi bolts for a better contract offer elsewhere.

The Spurs are a tough one to predict. There were some cracks showing this season. It's clear that age and extended playoff runs have taken their toll. And another year won't help matters. They'll need to find replacements for Horry and Barry, and hope that Bowen and Thomas can continue to play at a high level(both will be in their late-30's).

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Even when I'm not biased, the Rockets seem to have the potential. Even Barkley and Kenny said so after game 5. They know when Yao comes back to the punch, we are definate strong contenders.

4. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

let's not talk about next year, thanks.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

When LO is your 2nd best player your team is not good, but when he is 4th best then your team is not bad.

LO Bynum Gasol Kobe fisher. That is a pretty good 5. If we can improve our point guard then the rockets might be 1.

6. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

I would say the Lakers because they are in a much weaker division and they have size and do not really need to make any moves this offseason they just need to stay healthy. As a ROX fan I like the Rockets, but our division is just brutal and if we can not finish top 2 in the conference then we will always endup playing strong teams in round one.

7. debaser

debaser Member

This season is not even over yet.

8. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Whoever goes to the Finals and/or wins the championship.

9. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

STOP IT.

THIS YEAR IS. NOT. OVER.

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

After the Rockets win the championship, then bring Yao back healthy, they'll definitely be favorites.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Crazy poll results, but I love that y'all are supporting the home team.

Honestly, I think it will be the Hornets. They'll be one year older, more experienced, with their core entering their prime. I also expect one significant off-season addition, and then ... holy crap.

Rox will be a year old and more creaky. Maybe they can add a piece and stay in that 4-5 range.

Looks like Dallas and Phoenix will keep declining, which is nice.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

provided everyone is healthy

i dont know which one will be the best team i would have to play homer and pick the rockets but

if we are talking media favorites and all its the lakers we'll be fed a lot of stuff about how a dynasty is being rebuilt in LA etc etc.

i'll worry about it in the fall but not right now

13. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Portland could make the Playoffs with Oden.

14. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Don't write off the Spurs although they won't be favorites.

I could see the Lakers, Hornets, and us up there. Portland could be in the playoff picture and beginning a dynasty with Greg Oden...

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

LA, us then SA. However, that all may change depending on who the Spurs pick up this summer. I fully expect them to reload.

Either way, we should be a contender next season. This is why I'm so shocked that folks want to run T-Mac out of town. Do y'all not realize how good this team would be if Yao were healthy?

16. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Lakers seem prime to win at least 50 next year, and should continue to receive praise from the ESPN establishment. The Spurs have to be considered favorites until usurped. I definitely think that happens this year, but I've learned to not sleep on SA. Hard to admit, but they should be contending for another 3 years with their current shelf life.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I just don't see it, but we'll learn more in the weeks ahead.

Duncan has slowed down, Ginobli is out all the time with injuries, and Parker shows up only for the playoffs. Could be a bad, bad recipe next year. The rest of their roster looks like a Natural History museum of the Paleozoic.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

They are going to be under the cap next year. They'll have 9 player under contract at about 54 mil total. This season's cap was about 55 mil. If trend continues, the cap should be about 57-58 mil for next year. Granted that doesn't give them much wiggle room but they've shrewdly maneuvered themselves into reloading.

The only player that is a FA that they would need to re-sign is Oberto. Kurt Thomas, Horry, Stoudamire, and Finley are off the books and I doubt the Spurs want to go into next season with those guys anymore. They could realistically make some moves that can keep them in the upper tier of the West for a while.

San Antonio might be a lot of things but they are clearly a master at working the salary cap.