1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Racist Chinese Laundry Detergent Commercial

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 27, 2016.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

This is a just a horrible commercial. And why China will remain backyards for years to come. Not all Chinese are like this but it still is a Republic where ethnic minorities and other Asians aren't treated equally. I hope to someday visit that country when I can get a good chauffeur and or entourage.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

She ate an entire can of jelly?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Jelly comes in a can?

4. cml750

cml750 Member

Very poor taste!!!

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't think we're ready for this jelly, it's coolie-licious.

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

That was probably something like this

[​IMG]

Yeah it is sometimes white or different colors and used to make other deserts and beverages. Us Asians, eat alot of different canned deserts and foods because of the enormous food tariff embargo against Asian goods back in the day. That's changed and I can pick up a whole jack fruit and cut and eat it the way I see fit. Best bubble gum tasting fruit in the world.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where did you get I was offended? I am not black nor Chinese. You have a big bad habit of jumping to conclusions.

What's wrong with having a discussion about this ad?

Honestly, right now you are the one being a SJW and acting all self-righteous. Give it a break and stop preaching for a second.

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That stuff is good straight out of the can. The black kind is good, too, but you gotta prepare by cutting it up in tiny pieces, adding ice, water, and lots of sugar. Good stuff. Green or black, color don't matter, it tastes good. Black just needs a bit more help.

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

Let me enlightened your little head .This is my freind an Indian Canadian Dr.Faisal Rehamn known locally as King Faisal ,like many others who goes unnoticed. He is basically trying to collect donations by going into boxing so he can help renal department patients in Ontario

[youtube]JciU4AZPAlM[/youtube]

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's a grass plant that it derives from. Maybe some nutrients from that but when you think about all the extra sugar, coconut sugar, syrup they add to make bubble tea etc or similar products and it just ain't worth it. Asian in America are getting fatter. You go into a mega asian supermarket and you see the crap stuff they put in the center of the store. Full of sugar etc that will make you teeth fall out just looking at it. It's sad. I live in Northern VA near Eden Shopping Center and I see stuff like that all the time.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to go back to this, but one thing I forgot to mention about how ridiculous this line of thinking actually is.

Why is it that when people call out racism, inevitably someone will say, "why don't they stop whining and start working on making their own lives better?"

The argument makes zero sense. A person can actually go to college, bet a veteran, start their own business, make a living for their family, hire others... and still actually complain about injustice, racism, and unfairness.

The two things are not mutually exclusive.

But it always comes out as an point of discussion anyway.

12. amaru

amaru Member

*sigh* let's not use the word "coolie" please

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No worse than your brain dead rant about "rednecks." Or flipping out that I might have called you African-American despite your repeated previous attempts to identify as African and label American-born caucasians as "European."

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Well, you can use coolie, and you can laugh at ads that equate blacks as dirty and lower forms of life. Honestly, it doesn't bother me at all.

I don't think words should offend people easily, I have always been against firing people for racist views for instant. I think the best way to confront the type of ignorance you exhibit is not by attacking people but engaging them in discussion and trying to change their mind, instead of labeling them.

I think people who call Asians "coolies" knowing what the word implies is someone who has disdain for Asians as a whole. Just as someone who calls people rednecks has disdain for white rural whites.

What you communicate when you say "coolie" is that you don't respect Asians very much, which is fine, that's your right, and I don't think people should get angry at you for that no more than Honey Bear talks about how inferior Asian men to him. But don't get mad either when people judge you.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because they are whining about a damn commercial. That really should be beneath people. The Italian commercial is every bit an example of "racism" as the Chinese commercial, even more so actually because they explicitly say "coloured is better" but you won't hear the whining about it because not everyone lives their lives feeling like a damn victim.

If you don't have a victim's mentality you won't be the kind of person to get butt hurt over a damn commercial that is trying to be funny. That's why people suggest that those people who are unjustifiably butt hurt just drop the persecution complex, stop pretending the world is out to get them and just live their lives. Complaining about a commercial in China is pretty much the definition of being unjustifiably butt hurt.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Maybe in the early-to-mid 1900s when it was regularly used, the conversation had gone on a tangent and I was just tying it to the proximate discourse with a separate media reference. I didn't laugh at the black baby ad, I dismissed it's perceived offensiveness on your part; partly because you tied to the original ad to make that seem more offensive, and because as a black person I know the difference between a dead man's sketch and actual racism directed against blacks.

17. amaru

amaru Member

Not sure why you keep rehashing the topic, but let's be clear...there is no "might". You certainly tried to convince me that I was an "African-American" despite all the evidence to the contrary. I identify as African because that is how black people are officially recognized in my mother's country of origin. Many of my family members continue to worship the gods of our ancestors and many African words, phrases, and mannerisms are still evident in our culture. We also openly celebrate the emancipation of our ancestors from enslavement (something AAs would be demonized for doing) and in certain circles ancestor veneration is still very common. We draw from our knowledge of our African roots and use that knowledge as we move forward. We have not lost sight of who we are or who are ancestors were.

In our culture, women are the primary caregivers and educators of the children. We believe that if you want to have a strong nation, you must have educated and empowered women. We are still a developing nation, but our cultural pride is strong. My West Indian mother was my primary teacher as a child. Out of respect for her, I do not distance myself from her people simply because I was born in the United States and my father is African-American.

This may be difficult for you to understand, but some things are meant for your understanding.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I tried to convince you your assumptions about southern-born white Americans were stupid, in evading any questions about your rant you said you had written me off because I apparently referred to you as African-American, despite your not mentioning your "West-Indian" heritage beforehand. You labeled me as a "typical American" assuming a black person complaining about his ancestors' slavery at the hands of white Americans was "either American or African." You've imagined this other conversation about the term African-American, it's a slang synonym for black when you're in America, literally nothing else to grouse about. I don't know what the rest of the prose above is about.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I only posted it as context just as I posted the Italian version of the Chinese ad. I haven't made up my mind completely about the use of race and advertising so no - not offended.

Look, I just look at the messages that these ads are communicating - in this case, that a clean Asian man is far more attractive than a dirty black man. That's pretty racially tinged.

Now, does that compare to discriminating against a black man for a job? No of course not. Open discrimination is unjust and illegal. But it happens - more frequently than I am comfortable with.

So the argument that we should focus on that and not a commercial is a reasonable one at least on the surface. But it's not always about being offended. I think there is value on pushing back on an ad like this.

While one can say that no one is being discriminated against in this ad, the ad does reinforce sterotypes that are negative in nature. And negative stereotypes are often the basis for discrimination.

So there is a connection. I think there is value to fighting gross negative stereotypes in media given that there is a cultural element to discrimination / racism.