1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chronicle] Harris County Home to 6 of the Top 10 Most Congested Roads in Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Sep 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Seems like this data is outdated. I would say 290 between 610 and the Beltway is MUCH worse than either one of those stretches of I-45.

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I-10 still in the top 10 even after the extra lanes. Not surprised since all the extra lanes are HOV and tollway.

3. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

How is 288 not on this. Pearland has ruined that wonderful highway

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

You have to wonder how much productivity and money is lost by these delays.

Mass transit plz.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Yeah, I think this is just a total car count. I never have any problem going 70 on I-10; granted I don't commute to work. Why anyone would pay to drive the toll lanes is beyond me.

290 looks like a parking lot headed out in the afternoons (when I'm headed in)

6. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Then you must not have been on the North Freeway in a while. Luckily I'm driving against the traffic on my way to the Woodlands every morning. It's rountinely bumper to bumper from Spring all the way in. Same thing in the afternoon rush hour too. There's no way in hell that I would live in the Woodlands and drive in.

I have to maneuver through #5 on the way in. That stretch pales in comparison to that mess on the North Freeway. It's not even close.

#6 Pistol Pete, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  7. Fatty FatBastard

Ditto. However, I only go against #1 and #3. My 30 mile commute takes 40 minutes. Going against traffic is the way to go.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: This is incorrect, sir.
    No, you don't. Why would you lose productivity? :confused:

9. van chief

van chief Member

this is the 4th largest city in the US

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't buy it. i've lived off i10 all my life, aside from time at college. it was awful before...but i drive it, even during rush hour, and i can get from the beltway to downtown in 15 minutes, no problem.

all the extra lanes are not tolls or HOV...not at all. the freeway is ginormous. there are, i believe, 2 extra "free" lanes in each direction than there was prior.

11. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

I drive I-10 to and from downtown everyday. I have used the toll lanes a grand total of 2 times on my way home. Both times I did it to avoid a backup from an accident. Unless the traffic report is bad, I take the main lanes and it does not take long.

12. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Totally false. I-10 is awesome now. Even during rush hour it is still one of the fastest routes in Houston.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Lucky for me, I live out the Eastex and it's very rare that there's even traffic on it during both rush hours. 5 lanes of bliss. Not to mention I take the park and ride.

I do tend to check the tex dot traffic thing before I leave and it seems like 290 is ALWAYS all red; whereas I-45 is yellow.

They're both bad, no doubt, but with all the new development out 290 in the last decade, I still think it's slightly worse than I-45. Even the HOV is usually backed up.

Remember when I-45 used to bottle-neck into 2 lanes right past 2920? Now THAT was hell. Even on weekends.

14. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I can't believe IH 35 in Austin is only #26. That road is HORRIBLE during any remotely busy time of day.

15. tigereye

tigereye Member

Im sorry but as a Cypress resident, 290 is the worst freeway in the history of mankind following the invention of the automobile and the paved road. Traffic starts all the way out at Telge....and continues all the way in.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Because sitting in a car in traffic is not value-additive. Without traffic, you could be at work longer, making a couple extra widgets, or at home teaching your son to read or fixing the lawn-mower.

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Add more lanes, you get more cars, which causes you to add more lanes...

No more freeway expansions, please.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Tell me about it. Coming home after work (I live in Mo City) is horrific. It's to the point now that 90% of the time I get off at Reed Rd and take the Ft. Bend Tollway. I used to exit 2234 or Co. Rd 59 but I can't wait to get off 288. I wonder what "genius" decided to cut the southbound lanes from 3 to 2 when 610 merges in. It makes the problem worse IMO.

19. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Houston needs public transportation. I'm tired of hearing all the "we're too spread out" excuses. There's a difference between metro transit (ie, a subway train/light rail) and commuter transit out the the suburbs. Chicago has both (2 different transportation systems, the El for the city and the Metra for the suburbs), and they both work great. Some of the suburbs are 40 miles outside of the city, and the Metra still services them...so the "too spread out" excuse is lame.

The real reason...Texans won't give up their trucks.

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I believe that people who spend much time in traffic and whine about how much time they spend in traffic could easily avoid this by getting to work sooner, planning routes accordingly, paying H.O.V. fees, carpooling, leaving earlier, etc., and many other ways. Being in traffic or driving longer times doesn't necessarily cut down on productivity. With all due respect, Señor Colombian, I see your point, but I do not think it directly influences how productive you can be at work. :eek:

WTH am I talking about, I am at work on CF.net ;)