1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama Signs Funding Package for Israel's Iron Dome

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IBTL, Aug 4, 2014.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

not sure if we need any more definitive proof of how we(usa) really feel. This is obama and us gov't showing israel support.

Iron Dome:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/obama-signs-funding-package-israels-iron-dome-24839957

President Barack Obama signed a bill Monday granting an additional $225 million in U.S. taxpayer dollars for Israel's Iron Dome missile defense system.

The defense system has been highly effective in the current round of violence between Israel and Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip. It allows Israel's military to shoot down incoming rockets or mortars headed toward major population centers in Israel. Israeli officials say it has a success rate as high as 90 percent.

The U.S. has provided hundreds of millions of dollars for Iron Dome in the past. The new package is intended to replenish Israel's capabilities.

Congress approved the money last week before lawmakers left for their annual summer break. Obama signed the bill in the late afternoon in the Oval Office with a handful of photographers present.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Well the iron dome does prevent a lot of civilian casualties, at least they are supporting a defensive military system

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Iron Dome has saved a lot of civilian lives in Israel. I don't mind my tax dollars being spent on something so worthwhile.

1 person likes this.
  4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

you think obama should give hamas 225 million to defend their civilian casualties?

5. hlcc

hlcc Member

This is nothing new. Every year the US government provides over a billion in military aid to Israel.

If you are an oil-less and natural gas-less middle eastern country, no other country gives a damn.

6. trustme

trustme Member

Right, what about the $3 billion we send them? Which costs us $8 million/day?

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

maybe but when israel is killing civilians its just a but curious to me. ironic and the timing is pretty interesting.

here we are in the midst of all these negotiations and backs and forths and people dying and we walk in with 225 million? not sure what to make of all this. the only real thing here I can follow is that we are supporting israel financially with 225 million.. To say otherwise is not stating fact. I know its countries and all, and chump change but 225 million is still a decent amount of dough..some from my own paycheck. . Now whether I think we should be giving them 225 million.. I guess I have no choice here and that is what is happening. This is coming from my paycheck.. fine but if we are giving them 225 million it needs to be to stop civilian casualties on both sides.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I wonder how much US aid is being spent hiring Israelis and Jews to post propaganda on the Internet on boards like these. Care to confirm Nivos?

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Actually this is not a terrible thing. The Iron Dome is purely defensive from what I understand.

The really unfortunate side of it is that it emboldens the Israeli government to commit war crimes, but the main reason that happens is because of the people in charge in Israel and not because of the dome itself. Theoretically and under a peaceful government, the dome could be a great tool to protect civilians in Israel and push for peace despite unprovoked instances of violence against Israelis.

The outrage about this particular issue just creates an opportunity for Israeli government to make good points about how there's nothing wrong with this, while steering attention away from the real issues such as the tactical support the US offers to Israeli offensive actions and, of course, the inexplicable civilian casualties resulting from it.

If the money and defensive technology were being funnelled to peaceful elements in Israeli politics, things would be a lot better. If the US insisted that citizen tax dollars be withheld from violent iterations of Israeli government, then Israelis would be able to use the money and technology to achieve a just and lasting peace for themselves and Palestinians.

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

do you think they would spend it on protecting their civilians?

1 person likes this.
  11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I have also wondered whether Nivos is a hired gun.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

None, because most of those people (as I understand it) work for free.

13. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I just answered an ad...

[​IMG]

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I wonder if you're a spy.

15. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Iron Monkey > Iron Dome

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

OP, you act like this is some big surprise. We've supported Israel for many decades, and will continue to support her for the foreseeable future. As for the Iron Dome funding in particular, this is in fact a joint project. We are benefiting from Israeli research, and they are benefiting from US research and US funding. If you think back to the Gulf War and the Patriot batteries missing far more missiles than they hit, then consider the success we've seen demonstrated by the Iron Dome against basically the same kind of missile technology (relatively low tech), I'd say this is working out quite well from a US missile defense research standpoint.

17. dback816

dback816 Member

If you don't like your politicians squandering your money, why don't you just vote for someone else.

:rolleyes:

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This is an excellent question - not surprising that it was ignored by those who hate Israel so much.

The answer, of course, is that Hamas would use the money to acquire terror weapons. They hate Israel more than they love their own children.

Well done, Obama. I am proud that the German government also contributes to Israel's defense, and supports the only democracy in the region.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I would say it is working out quite well for the owners of Raytheon stock

Yeah, we owe all our military industrial complex achievements to Israel.

20. Nivos

Nivos Member

How did I get in this thread? I wasn't even responding here.

And I would think that for your conspiracy theory of hired guns in clutchfans the Israeli government would pay money for people with better English than myself