1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Casey Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jbasket, Mar 13, 2013.

?

Was James Casey Awesome?

Poll closed Apr 12, 2013.
  1. Mamma, there goes that man!

20.5%
  2. Good at many jobs, on and off the field

48.7%
  3. Expendable and Mediocre, like a recent ex-girlfriend

28.2%
  4. I would rather have a Kardashian as FB/TE

2.6%
  1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not just about utilization, it's about the number of touches available...and with Casey, there just weren't too many available. People are acting like he was ignored. He had 34 receptions, which is just behind Arian and Walter... That's nothing to shake a stick at when you look at the kind of offense the texans run, i.e. run oriented.

I like casey, a lot, but I think people just tend to overrate him being some secret weapon that wasn't utilized.

2. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

He was used more exclusively at TE his first couple of years but he just wasn't good enough to stick.

3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Yea, Casey is kinda getting overpaid commensurate to what he brings to the table....good, solid, but not 5 mil. A year good compared to others.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Boldin only netted a 6th rounder, b/c Baltimore just couldnt find a way to pay him...its either that or cut him...they were able to get something...but Baltimore fans will tell you that they were robbed by San Fran...

OD could net some decent value for a team desperately looking for production from the TE spot...Thought ATL was that team, but looks like Gonzalez is coming back for 2013

5. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

^
    teams dont give up mid round draft picks for 30 year old TEs with a large cap hit. This isn't NBA trading players...the NFL is different.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I always had the hope he could turn into our version of a Marcel Reece or a Delanie Walker.

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I agree, I thought he was going to have a big year last year, but I almost forgot he was on the team at times.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Da Mob

Rocket River
    LOL

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Casey only plays 2 snaps; "wont try to cause problems"

I feel like I've heard this story before.

I'm a fan of the guy, and it's still early, but maybe time to realize he's just nothing more than a versatile backup.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Funny that our former gimmick player can't catch on to the nfl's newest gimmick offense.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

As you guys know I've never been a fan of Casey. I also never hated him. Anyways, after game 1 it looks to me like he was simply cannibalizing RB receptions and not creating anything special on his own. Foster/Tate probably make up the difference and then some.

12. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Casey was/should have been a pass catching TE although last year they had him sort of play slot receiver when Schaub and Kubiak stopped targeting Martin, which didn't really work out that well for him but part of that was on some really inaccurate throws he wasn't able to climb the ladder and get. He played basically that role in Houston but Kubiak had him on the field as a Full back as well because he could play the position half decently and it was the only way he could get on the field when they had Daniels and Dressen.

Philly already has a pro bowl TE so it will take time for them to probably work Casey in, the man is a athlete and while he may not be a Pro Bowler there is no denying the man when thrown to can catch pretty well.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

uh, yeah he can catch. He led the NCAA in receptions his last year at Rice