1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The reason why rockets lose to bad teams and win against good teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Feb 15, 2003.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

Is the old sports phenomenon called "on their day, the rockets can beat anybody", the converse to this is that on their bad day, the rockets can lose to anyone. Like many people point out, the fortunes of the rockets rests with steve francis and to a lesser extent Cuttino Mobley. The reason the rockets are a 500 team is the way the backcourt plays the game, nothing to do with how many shots or turnovers or anything of that nature, although they maybe a symptom of the cause. Their stats compare quite favourably to a lot of other premier guards, however the variance from the mean of their individual games is greater than most players. What this means is that their game revolves around taking a lot of risks, in their passing, shooting, dribbling and sometimes the risk pays off and the team wins, it's like in blackjack, and you can hit on a 12 against a 10 but in the long run, it's better to play the percentages. That's why they look so good when the risk pays off, because the win is that much sweeter. The top teams in the league rely on percentage execution in the regular season and limited risk taking in the post season, after all the payoff is greater.

Let's take a look at the mike bibby vs jason willams trade, everybody points out that sacramento was so much improved over when they had williams as opposed to bibby, but what many pundits don't look at is that memphis did not get worse, despite trading SAR and bibby. I would venture to say that williams actually was better for memphis than bibby and won more games for memphis than bibby did and would have. The stats show that jwill had several monster games, where he pulled out a win for memphis. This is because JWill took a lot of risks, and when it paid off memphis won, when it didn't well memphis would've lost anyway. Great when you
    are at the bottom of the league, however the transition to becoming a great team is much harder with players like this.

The sad thing is people expect francis to mature by losing in the playoffs like jordan and coming back a better player, i don't see this at all, he has a lot of positive reinforcement of his game from the numerous victories that he pulls out and when the rockets do lose, he usually has a bad game, the lesson he learns is that he needs to have a good game for the rockets to win and that makes him dominate the ball even more. remember that jordan became the player he is by losing even when he has had the best games in his career, scoring 40, 50 points and still losing. SF is not that consistent to learn that lesson himself.

People want to compare the rockets to dallas and sactown a few years ago. That's fine, but as far as i can see, SF and CM's roles at the moment resemble more Jwill and cedric ceballos that chris webber and steve nash. Being clutch doesn't mean hitting a fadeway jumpshot over 2 defenders at the buzzer. It means executing the highest percentage plays no matter the pressure, and judging by the number of touches yao gets in crunch time, the rockets are not clutch no matter how many improbable game winners SF and CM hits.

2. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

good post. but im also starting to think that maybe the good teams our playing down to the Rockets level of competetion.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Fantastic post, trugoy. I think this might be the most accurate analysis I have read so far. What would you suggest to do?

4. haven

haven Member

Good post, though fairly hopeless ;). I'd hate to think that Steve is learning the wrong lesson again... and again... and again.

He does seem to be learning a bit this year. So maybe it's not all that bad. Yet what you say makes considerable sense in light of how the Rockets play...

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

There was some truth to this earlier in the season but right now Mobley for the most part is playing within the system and the reason the Rockets lost was not because Mobley was gambling and ISO'ing it was because he sucks right now, and the team sucked last night, they shot 30 percent from the field, 20 percent from the 3 point line and missed 14 free throws. It's like playing a football game and dropping 20 passes or turning the ball over 5 times. The Rockets cannot win playing that way but I thought they executed well enough in terms of trying to get inside out it's just that their poor shooting performance dug them a whole too deep to get out of.

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

There is no Spirit, no Leadership, no Plays, no helping out your fellow players , no picks, no defence. Sounds like a lack of good basic Coaching to me! The players are not on the same page.Yao Ming is allowed to show his stuff, briefly,then its time to move over and watch the Steve Franchise Show. All this dosent make the Fan feel like he is supporting a team effort by Players and Coaches.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This is a great post...

Although, probably too intellectual for most...

It is better to take risks when your say, 18 - 33, than say 28 - 23...err, 27 -24...

8. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Excellent post. I made an analogy in a post a few weeks back comapring the Rocket's reliance on the Francis/Mobley individualism with a water anchor; stabalizes you when things are really bad, holds you back when you want to move forward...

The inherent problem with perimeter individualism dominating a team's fortune is that, unlike a team dominated by an inside player, it can and often does only need to involve one player's effort, which can be negated during the regular season by said player having a less than stellar night, and moreoever during the playoffs by having an opposing coach design his defense with that player(s) in mind.

An inside player who dominates a team is a bit different, as he A) needs teamwork of a sort to get involved at all, and B) can act as more of a hub around which an offense can revolve than a less predicatable perimeter player. Basketball works best inside-out, and the beginnings of that are present with an inside dominator, whereas an outside dominator need never involve anyone else, other than maybe the occassional pick.

Add to that the fact that any dominant player who decides to put the team's fortune on his back thereby lowers the team's potential avenues for success...himself, and possibly his team's recovery of his faliure the odd time. It's ok to be The Man if A) The Man involves others, B) The Man succeeds much more often than he fails, especially in key moments, or C) The Man has no other options whose success is likely. I would say that , at this point, Steve does not qualify in any of those areas, let alone Cuttino.

In this way, when Steve has a take-over game as vs. the Jazz, and succeeds, I often see as much danger in that 'success' as I do merit. When you read that 'Steve didn't lead his team like John Stockton, but just ran over Stockton all by himself', or something like that, I see red flags waving. This is particularly true of a point guard who can, if he chooses, take over the offense without anyone else ever having any say in the matter. This really needs to be rectified, or the current up-down pattern will not correct itself, but become more and more ingrained.

#8 MacBeth, Feb 15, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2003
  9. payaso

payaso Member

the mobley comparison to ceballos seems a little gratuitous in deference to mobley; ceballos is/was a garbageman who always seemed to be in the right place to get the putback. IMO he would be a much better fit at the 2 or coming off the bench with this approach, as the low BBall-IQ rocks do not move enough without the ball and rely too heavily on low percentage shots, and that's even when it's going well.
    Shock therapy is what this team needs. Shocks come in the form of trades, benchings, etc. but most importantly role changes. Steve Francis does NOT have a point guard's mentality. Let me say that again for clarity's sake- the instinct is not there. Mobley does not have the proper mettle for starting at the two; it has been said and said ad nauseum that he is better as a more talented Vinny Johnson-type, first off the bench to give the offense a line shift change.
    And is this group just too r****ded to process what every big man with a record of success in the league has said? "You've got 7-6 worth of offensive weaponry to run the offense through- use it!"

Why can't EG be told,
    "from now on your name is Robert Horry; your job is the entry pass, weak side D, leech-like coverage on the opponent's frontcourt wing player, and shoot only when both you and the shot are there."

To Steve Francis; " You are a phenomenal athletic weapon. If only you had to worry about taking the shots the offense gives you, and not about running the offense yourself, everyone would marvel at your ability to drive, shoot AND pass, and not expect the latter as your primary role."

To Mobley; "You can be popcorn-machine exciting but you're no slow-cooker. Either you assume 'first off' duties like a man, or you take your high-wire act to a team like the Lakers who already have a solid game philosophy (which, BTW, would make them that much scarier) in return for a role player like Fox. (Cap geeks- what's his contract 10-20?)

To Yao; "You will get the touches. You are the offensive fulcrum. You are the smartest player on the floor (including the missing pure point guard) and we trust you to put this team on your back and make it run like a Mercedes. This team is nowhere without you."

Why does the hated Jazz continue to win, when you know what's coming? Because they know what's coming. With Olajuwon's teams, you knew what was coming as an opponent; but damned if you could do anything about him. I can't even call this current team a box of chocolates because their lack of a set philosophy dooms them to the kind of season they're having, and is viscerally predictable, much like my checking the scores this morning without having kept tabs on last night's game, and knowing they laid an egg before seeing the box score.

To summarize: Francis to the 2, Mobley out of the starting mix, EG as a half-court point forward, and Yao calling for, and getting the ball, every time down. Talent can get you nowhere; it's a lesson George Karl learned painfully last year. Coach T seems blind to it. He needs to shape this team.

10. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

I think it's getting to the point where you have to think that the Rockets just aren't good enough. Maybe they're living in a dreamland thinking they're a Playoffs team, but they're not. They have too many losers on the team, too many selfish players (lowest assist per game for a team), too many players that can't shoot (low scoring team). The only way to improve is not letting them develope, it's MAKING A TRADE bringing better players in and replace some of these cancers. Bringing players that provide leadership and chemistry to the team. This team has no chemistry between their players. These are the players that I see have no chemistry on the court: Mobley, Griffin, Posey. They show lack of emotion and encouragement during the game and that's sign of bad chemistry.

11. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Press row view

The Rockets are so desperate to join "another level" that they spend half their season measuring and labeling themselves. They miss the point: Being at the other level is not a matter of simply bringing a superior team to the arena. That works in high school. In the NBA, it is about showing the same intensity and focus and effort to games against the LA Clippers as the LA Lakers. Status must be earned, not awarded.

Inside the numbers

The only time the Rockets have shot worse this season than they did Friday, their 29.5 percent shooting was the worst in franchise history. ... The Rockets are 0-5 when their opponent makes at least half its shots. The Heat made 51.5 percent. ... Steve Francis' 18 free throws were his high this season. He made 14. ... No Rockets player made more than half his shots. ... The Rockets' bench made five of 20 shots and scored 15 points. ... The Rockets' eight turnovers were their low this season.

Did you know?

The Nuggets are the only last-place team that has not beaten the Rockets.

-- JONATHAN FEIGEN (Houston Chronicle)

12. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When the Rocekts turn the corner, the heart of this team will be Francis, Yao and Griffin. However, two of the three are extremely young and all three are still learning. Like TheFreak points out, this team is right about where it should be. They are playing well considering how much this squad relies on the extremely young Yao Ming and Eddie Griffin. This is the reality and we need to have realistic expectations to match it.

13. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Guys -

I have to say that from beginning to end, this if BY FAR the single best thread I have ever read on the board.

Many of these posts are well thought out, interesting and in many cases, enlightening.

I know that I have been on a tear lately about firing Rudy, and to be honest, all of the other debates against my position have done nothing but put fuel on the fire. But this thread actually has me re-evaluating my position on Rudy ;) ;)

Nicely done!

I look forward to reading more of your posts, especially from trugoy, MacBeth, payaso and JeffB! Keep up the good work!!

14. trugoy

trugoy Member

I came across a stat that startled me on ************. The rockets are the 3rd worst team in history in going 2-7 in games decided by 3 points or less by a winning team.

Team Season Record
    Cleveland 1993-94 1-10
    Milwaukee 1988-89 1-7
    Houston This year 2-7
    Portland 1984-85 2-7

A lot of people blame isolation plays for rockets lack of success, isos have worked for a lot of teams, most notably, knicks who reached the finals as an 8th seed, and also the detroit pistons with grant hill. I actually don't see any quick fixes to the rockets problems, as rockets will not get equal value in trading CM, SF, EG, etc.

The most realistic way i see the rockets "getting it" so to speak is for SF to sit out a bunch of games, through either suspension or injury, and rudy can install a more Yao orientated offense, because at the moment, yao will defer to SF everytime.

15. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

What the hell, I'll throw another log on the fire. Right now, Mobley seems to be doing worse at individual stats (shooting) than at helping the team win (defense, assists, etc). So if we were to trade him, we'd probably get less than he's worth to us.

Francis, on the other hand, seems to be doing much better at individual stats than at helping the team win. If he's doomed to be a rich man's Jwill, how good a Bibby could we get for him right now?

16. Genesis 71

Genesis 71 Member

Really a good post, Trugoy; and a good thread over-all. T, I especially like the following insights you noted:

17. carayip

carayip Member

If we win against bad teams and lose against good teams, I would agree that our talent is not good enough. But we are the opposite so I don't think we are not good enough. Letting our young talented players develop is the best way to build a championship team. Making panic trades after every losing streak will not get you anywhere.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It never occurred to me that Francis is the rich man's Jason Williams. Now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense.

I remember watching the Kings a couple of years ago before they made the Williams-Bibby trade. You guys make fun of Rudy's "deer" look. You should look at Rick Adelman's face every time the White Chocolate did something stupid.

Williams would bring the ball up court and shot a 3 without making a pass, and it hit. Then the annoucer would predict, "He's gonna jack up another one the next time up." Sure enough, he jacked up another one the next possession, but it missed this time. Adelman used to say, "How do you control a guy who goes 100 mph for a layup?" They didn't know what to do with this guy who were a very talented ball handler, a good passer (whenever he decided to make the right passes), and could hit some big shots, yet didn't play defense, made boneheaded play after boneheaded play playing out of control.

You see? The Kings were a pretty good team then. They won a lot of games in the regular season. They just got killed in the playoffs. You think nobody told Williams to do the right thing? You think he didn't know what it takes to win ball games? But why did he not change?

I am beginning to suspect that great talent can be a curse, that being able to succeed with sheer talent can be so intoxicating--yes, addicting--that it's so hard to get sober from it. Consider the drug addict. You think nobody told him the harm of drug? You think he doesn't know? He may stay clean for a short period. But the thought of the high feeling is too great a temptation for him to overcome with reason.

Some time ago I started a thread "Can heroism be a bad thing?" I said every time I saw Francis succeed in heroic acts (hitting buzzer beating shots, winning games all by himself) I was worried. I said I wished he failed in those acts.

Success with sheer talent could be addictive. That might be Francis's problem. That might be why he would play a couple of games very controlled, and then reverted back to his individualism. That might be why no matter how many hero talks (Jordan, Lucas, Big O, etc.) cannot change his fundamental approach to the game. That might be why he talks as if he "gets it" but doesn't always "brings it" to the game.

Some might think I am a Steve hater. But I don't hate him any more than I hate my own son for not "getting it" in many facets of life. He is still young. There's still hope. But it's not as simple as "fire Rudy" or "listen to the Big O." It might take some kind of shock therapy, as trugoy said, to get him out of his "addiction."

#18 Easy, Feb 16, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2003
  19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The reason the Rockets lose to bad teams and beat good teams is that they're not good enough to beat both. If they beat the good teams AND the bad teams, they'd be at the top of the league. They're not good enough to do that. Maybe it would make people feel better if they started to lose more against the good teams and beat a few more of the bad teams?

Is that supposed to be good for his development? Why would you acquire one of the top players in the draft, then turn around and tell him in his SECOND YEAR, when he's only 20 years old, that all he's ever going to do is throw entry passes into the post? When Robert Horry entered the league, Hakeem was already one of the best players in the NBA. Yao Ming plays 28 minutes a game and can't even get post position half the time.

I don't think it's as easy as you think to ask a guy you just signed to a max contract, who has started the last two all-star games, and whom you've declared as your 'franchise', to take a backseat role. To top it off he's only in his fourth season. Again, you're asking him to take a backseat to a rookie who can only play 28 minutes a game and can't get post position half the time. If only it were as easy as you describe.

Yeah, RICK FOX is the answer to our problems, right? :rolleyes: Geez. I'm starting to wonder if people would even complain about Mobley if Vinnie Johnson had never existed. Cuttino, why can't you be more like Vinnie Johnson? Man.

I would tell him, "when you can consistently get post position, and when you can play more than 55 percent of a game, you're going to be dangerous". I don't wanna ride a Mercedes with that kind of gas mileage yet, do you?

Olajuwon was better than anything the Rockets have now. That's why he couldn't be stopped. The Jazz win because they're led by veterans. Do you think the Rockets' record would look drastically different if you were to switch out Francis for Stockton? How many more wins would the Rockets have right now with Malone at the PF and Cato at Center? Bottom line is that the Rockets aren't any better than the Jazz, and shouldn't be.

I agree with the talent part in that it doesn't matter how good each player on your team is, it matters how good your BEST players are. Right now the Rockets' best players aren't as good as the teams in front of them.