1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jason Terry Expendable?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HamJam, Nov 15, 2014.

1. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

When we first acquired Terry, after I was done throwing up into my mouth a little bit, I assumed, as did many of you, that he was acquired in order to get the 2nd round draft picks from the Kings and, more importantly, be an expendable expiring contract we could use to facilitate a trade for a veteran player.

However, now that Terry has surprised so many, including myself, by being one of our best bench players, a veteran presence, a great floor spacer, and much needed guard depth, I find myself asking the titular question of this thread -- is Jason Terry still expendable.

As many of us discuss possible ways for the Rockets to upgrade the roster, is using Terry's contract still a good option, or would we lose too much in our backcourt by letting him go? Canaan's improvement this season makes me think he could fill in the role Terry has had thus far this season, and, of course, if Terry is sent away as part of a trade for a starting point guard like Rondo or Dragic, then him leaving is not so much of an issue. But, for trades for an improvement at the power forward spot (which I think is much more needed), I am not sure if we can afford to trade Terry anymore (dammit, I just threw up in my mouth again from saying that).

The issue though is that, if we don't trade Terry, how can we put together a trade package for players making around 10 million or more per year (which most players that would be an upgrade over Terrence Jones make)? No other larger contracts on the roster are really non-core players.

2. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

3. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I actually loved the move. I always liked him, except when he played us. I don't think he is expendable, but I have a strange feeling he will be dealt by the always dealing DM the GM.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At the end of the day, as much as I love Jason Terry and Big Papa, they might be the necessary pieces to land us the one guy that could completely change our team dynamic.

I need to see more Jones and Beverly first. If those guys improve, we might not need that huge upgrade.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Wait...seriously? Of course Jason Terry is expendable.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Everyone is expendable

7. Asian Sensation

Only if he's part of a package that nets us a good big man. With that said I'd rather keep him if at all possible. He's a vital part of our success. He has Championship experience and he knows what it takes to win in this league.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Why would anyone else want him is a better question. He is not going anywhere.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'd keep him unless we can net a bonafide scorer off the bench. Right now we have no reliable scoring off the bench.

At least with Terry we know he is good for 2-3 3's a game and about 8-10 points.

10. newAge_Rockets

Harden and Howard are not expendable.

11. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

They wouldn't -- but, they would be willing to take him as part of a larger trade including young players and draft picks, since he is an expiring contract. My point is just that, I think his contribution is too important to use him merely to make contracts match (he has been very good (blarf, barf, blarf, ahem)).

This team does not have much depth as it is, so trading what little depth we have (Terry, Kpap being our best bench players) for an upgrade at the PF may not actually make us overall better.

12. Chamillionaire

As much as I like Terry, I think Daniels and Canaan could pick up the slack. Both are outstanding marksmen from beyond the 3 point line. The only thing I'd be worried about is how clutch they are because Terry is clutch. If there was 1 shot for the win, I'd want Terry to shoot it before anyone else.

Both Terry and KPap have surprised me with how much they bring to the table. They are basically all we have on our bench.

We NEED a backup C though. Black and Dorsey aren't going to cut it.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He was only acquired because he's an expiring contract. Flexibility trumps all, winning is secondary this year according to Morey. People are not getting this for some reason. I don't agree with it but I guess it's something you have to accept as a fan of the Rockets. Yay.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The Rockets have exactly three tradeable assets. I will list them in order of the importance I assigned to them. You may have a different opinion.

1) D-Mo. Asik 2. A starting caliber center in the NBA.
    2) Papa. I do not have a good handle on how he may progress. He could be very good.
    3) The NOP pick. Will it even be in the lottery?

I do not foresee any move from Morey unless he signs an over the hill retired big like O'Neal. Trading depth at this point seems impossible. Jones, Terry, Canaan type players abound in the NBA. No team is willing to give up anything for them. It is what it is.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm surprised Terry could still block dudes at his old age.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

For the right price, in the right situation, nothing is sacred

17. AFS

AFS Member

Exactly. It's just that the price would be so high that it is very unlikely that they'd ever be dealt.

18. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Jason Terry brings that one thing that Daniels and Canaan can't bring, and that is championship experience. You can't discount that.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Morey must be thinking differently now after seeing Terry's impact on the team and how the squad is performing.

As great as Bev is he's injury prone and hammy injuries just don't go away. I wouldn't rely on him to be healthy throughout the playoffs. The Rockets need another PG.

The way I see it Donuts has been manning the PF spot well enough and maybe the Rockets don't need a star upgrade there.

I'm very interested to see how well Earl Clark will perform with this Rockets team. In terms of skill sets he ticks most of the boxes Bosh does except for the superstar level ability.

20. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Yes he is...Jason terry may not a big name but his contract is appealing to a lot of teams. Remember that contract ends this summer. And also you get someone to mentor your young players. I like him. But if we got a chance to get horford or millsap ,Jason terry would not be a deal killer for me. I'd jump at it