1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN: Sportscenter] Greatest final minute finishes in bball...no TMac?!?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kaleidosky, Mar 26, 2007.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Sportscenter just ran.. they discussed the greatest final minute finishes in basketball in light of the Division II NCAA hoops championship finish (10 points in 30 secs I think it was). Then they discussed other great final-minute finishes in basketball. Laettner/Kentucky. Reggie/Knicks. MJ/Jazz.

SERIOUSLY no mention of TMac?

Then they went over to PTI to finish their show up with that. They discussed...again, the same 3. They said that the big stage matters, and I get that. I'm just looking for them to *mention* TMac because of the number of points and all. I'd have been fine if they knocked him out of the running for the best finish because it wasn't on a big stage.

2. ABTRocketfan

ABTRocketfan Member

Ya i couldent believe that, I was just waiting for them to mention T-mac but nothing. Just did'nt make sense to me at all.

3. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Houston sports is always overlooked. :mad:

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It was an amazing regular season game....that is the problem.

Regular season.

DD

5. ABTRocketfan

ABTRocketfan Member

As that is true it was just a regular season game it was the most amazing regular seaon game comeback that i can think of maybe i'm wrong.

6. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

let's face it, tmac won't get any love until he wins in the playoffs.

7. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

tamc gets love,just not enough.

although his comeback against the spurs should be highlighted, i mean cmon. Its against the spurs at their peak:S.

8. baylorbear09

baylorbear09 Member

i personally like flying under the radar and being the underdog. i don't know why but it has always made winning so much sweeter when you prove people wrong, especially those who have doubted you from the beinning.

9. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Houston: Man we get no respect!

Rest of the world: Houston won two championships?!? When was this?!?

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I don't think I would've put T-Mac's on there either.

It was a great accomplishment, but when you have shots like the one Eddie Johnson made in the playoffs with almost second left, Mario Elie against the Knicks, the Ralph Sampson shot against the Lakers, and and tip-in by Olajuwon. Is enough to say it wasn't even the best finish in Houston history.

Lots of Good shots to choose from especially in the NBA

* 1996-1997, the one with Rex Chapman hitting a turnaround being guard by two men 3 pointer against the Supersonics.

* 2004-2005, Tim Duncan supposedly game winner until Derek Fisher shots the last game winner against the Spurs

* 86-87, Bird's 20 in 4th quarter to eliminate the Hawks, Celtics advance to NBA Finals.

* Lakers come back from 15 down to win Western Conference Finals

* The Rockets come back from 3 -1 down and 15 point half time lead and trailing most of the game on the road to win the series against Phoenix.

* Kobe Bryant's one game tying shot at the end of regulation and an eventual game winner against the Suns to take the Lakers to a 3 -1 lead.

* Tim Thomas shot against the Lakers in the same playoffs in Game 6.

11. agentkirb

agentkirb Member

You HAVE to atleast give mention to the "13 in 35". In terms of basketball it is probably the biggest comeback ever. And the thing is, it wasn't even 13 in 35, it was actually 17 in less than 50. People forget that there were two baskets before that, including 1 steal by Paggett. I don't think anyone in the history of basketball has ever made a comeback of that magnetude. There have probably been things close to 10 point comebacks in recent years, but scoring 17 points in less than a minute against the best defense in the league at the time, and it doesn't even get a mention?

And what really gets me is half of those other victories were just 1st round playoff wins. In terms of significance thats just a tiny step up from regular season games.

12. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

"It was when Jordan was having one of his vacations, errr retirements? Oh well, those don't count, do they?"

13. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I get what your saying plutoblue, but what t-mac accomplished was much more amazing than an individual shot.

These are amazing "final minute finishes" not amazing quarters or buzzard beaters.

True, big games create big stages, but I would not personal consider a last minute shot as significant as what Tracy did in that game.