1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(fansided) Rockets Miscuses are blessings in disguise

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, Jul 30, 2014.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

didn't see it posted, lock if it is.....
    from SI/fansided
    nothing new from nobody special, just thought it was a decent read...

7/30/2014
    After signing big man Dwight Howard last offseason, the Houston Rockets vaulted into the upper echelon of the NBA elite, or so many thought.

One year and a disappointing first round playoff ouster later it became quite clear: Houston had a problem.

The Rockets averaged a stout 107.7 points per game last season, second only to the Los Angeles Clippers. The Rockets defense, however, was a different story entirely. Despite holding opponents to a respectable 44.6 field goal percentage, the Rockets still allowed opponents to net 103.1 points per game, good for an abysmal 23rd place finish last season.

The Rockets clearly entered this offseason intent on upgrading the roster by landing a third big name all-star, but losing out on the likes of Carmelo Anthony (who was never leaving all of the that cash from the Knicks on the table) and Chris Bosh might have been the best case scenario.

Obviously Houston fans were itching for Bosh to make the move to the Space City, but the finesse forward found max money and the chance to be the man in Miami more enticing. Bosh appeared to be a no brainer as the perfect complement to Howard, a floor-spacer with defensive range and the ability to rebound.

In theory, Bosh’s game encompasses all of those traits, but a quick look at his statistics since joining the Heat suggest otherwise. Bosh’s rebounding average has dropped considerably since his time in Toronto, as his 6.6 rebounds per game in 2013 were a considerable decrease from his career average of 8.7. The Heat’s style of play had some impact on Bosh’s rebounding numbers, undoubtedly, as Bosh played out of position in small ball lineups and was positioned around the three-point line quite often.

Regardless, Bosh has shown an unwillingness to bang bodies with other big men down low, regressing into an average rebounder and a glorified spot up shooter since joining the Heat. Also, the emergence of Chris Andersen allowed Bosh to play away from the goal even further, and he admitted himself he didn’t like “banging in the post.”

Sure Bosh can space the floor, but he is not a dead eye three-point shooter, hitting on only 33.9 percent of his three-point attempts last season. While Bosh could have helped elevate the Rockets, at 30-years-old and with a regressed skill set, it is hard to picture him being worthy of a max contract for more than a few seasons. If the Rockets are set on acquiring a third star that’s fine, but Bosh is not that guy (Kevin Love, on the other hand, would be).

Tack on the trades of Jeremy Lin to the Los Angeles Lakers and Omer Asik to the New Orleans Pelicans, as well as the impending departure of starting small forward Chandler Parsons to the Dallas Mavericks, and the perception of the Rockets offseason seems further tarnished.

When you look at the big picture, however, the Rockets may have gotten better through subtraction.

Yes Lin and Asik were important rotation players, but paying a total of $30 million and absorbing a cap hit of roughly $16 million for next season was just too much. Asik provided great rim protection and rebounding off the bench, but he had no desire to stay in Houston after a breakout season in 2012-2013.

Lin was nothing more than an average player in the Rockets system. He is a suspect spot-up shooter, turnover prone (see his negative assist to turnover ratio of 2:3), and a liability on defense.

Neither player is worth their salary for the upcoming season.

Parsons, a huge component of the Rockets offense and arguably the best all-around player on the team, was a much bigger loss, no doubt. While many fans are not happy about his departure, there was no way that the Rockets could justifiably match Parsons offer sheet with Dallas. The three-year, $46 million deal will pay Parsons more than James Harden annually. Regardless of your stance on Parsons, he is not worth as much to the Rockets as Harden. Parsons may continue to improve his arsenal over the next two seasons, but the Rockets could not risk $15 million annually on a player they obviously did not envision as the third star they so desperately desire.

“…the Rockets could not risk $15 million annually on a player they obviously did not envision as the third star…”

Replacing Parsons is 29-year-old free agent Trevor Ariza, acquired in the three-team trade that sent Asik to New Orleans and provided a valuable trade exception to the Washington Wizards. Ariza is coming off his best NBA season after averaging 14.4 points, 6.2 rebounds, and 2.5 assist per game with Washington. While Parsons is hands down the better offensive player, Ariza is a far superior defender. Plus Ariza’s improved three-point shooting, which was an efficient 44.6 percent during last year’s playoffs, will not hinder the spacing that the Rockets offense is predicated on.

Ariza fits nicely into the starting small forward spot for the Rockets, and with a four-year, $32 million contract, he comes at a considerably cheaper price than Parsons. I’ll take the cap savings and improved perimeter defense over Parsons bloated offer sheet and suspect defense any day.

A starting five of Patrick Beverly, Harden, Ariza, Terrance Jones, and Howard is potent, especially with the added defensive impact Ariza provides and the continued development of Jones, Harden and Beverley. With the offseason moves the Rockets have made, or not made, the team has plenty of cap space to add valuable depth on the wings and find a capable rim protector to spell Howard. The Rockets haven’t taken a step back, as many have feared. No, this team is poised to contend next season while still maintaining financial flexibility for the future.

2. senter

senter Member

thanks for posting. good read. let's let our two superstars grow together another year and see what they can do come playoff time

3. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Meh - a fairly optimistic appraisal.

Disagree on the Lin not being a loss. Agree that Ariza over Parsons being the better move going forward (and really only move if we want to be on the cusp of contention).

I can see us being a threat, but a lineup of Bev/Harden/Ariza/Jones/Howard and nobody else means we need Harden to REALLY elevate his game to the point where he can not only take over games consistently (which he has shown growth), but do so without the fatigue/injury that comes with being the only perimeter player on the Rockets worth a damn.

4. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Yeah, no chance. If we could have had Bosh, kept Parsons, and still had the Pelicans pick we would set up as a possible dynasty with tons of pieces to move and vets lining up to play for cheap on title runs.

5. New

The post lacks consistentency. If the problem is defense, why not getting bosh is a good thing and why the emphasis on his 3pt shooting...

6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Probably referring to a) his age making his value only good for a few more years and b) he's not willing to play a tougher more physical post game on the offensive or defensive end.

Still would have been worth it since he would have been acquired with cap space and not assets in trade.

7. NotChandlerParsons

I sure hope this Terrance Jones kid doesn't turn out like that bum Terrence Jones!

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

In all reality, what did we lose with Lin going?

The 2.5 turnovers for only 4 assists was really bad. Sure, he was capable of getting to the rim and finishing, but he was only .446 from the field (his career high by the way), and couldn't hit a barn door from downtown (especially when it mattered!)

The only possible loss is the bench scoring spark. Call me wildly optimistic, but I think Canaan or Johnson will provide the same spark, at about 5% of the cost. Heading into the season, the main thing I'm worried about is that bench scoring - there is no 'definite answer' to the question, it's in the hands of 'potential' talents.
    Here's hoping they come through with the goods!

9. baubo

baubo Member

Have to disagree on the Bosh point. That would've been a great team. Do agree that letting Asik and Lin go are reasonable moves. The Pelicans pick will fetch a good player on the market. And it's likely that any player we can trade for with the TE from Lin's trade will have just as much an impact as Lin. Parsons for Ariza is a wash.

I feel the offseason isn't so much a blessing as it is a wash. We'll see how the team goes forward from here.

10. "Snosrap

"Snosrap Member

asset#0 will be more than adequate than ex-roleplayer#7 replacement off the bench!

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Pie in the sky

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

I once thought we need to ship Harden with Lin to LA, to get rid of Lin..;)

1st round pick loose is not a big deal

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

There is certainly a scenario that could play out where Chris Bosh turns out to be a total scrub next year, Chandler Parsons turns out to be a total scrub next year, and Daryl Morey comes out looking, again, like the smartest guy in the room to the ire of everyone else.

Think about it in baseball and football terms. When was the last time anyone got paid, and I mean P-A-I-D, to switch teams and then ended up being worth the money? In general, players once they cash out (and to me this represents Chris Bosh's last big check, and Chandler Parsons' biggest check on a year-to-year basis) lose the motivation they once held to be the best that they could be. They just lose that edge. The Texans are seeing it now with Arian Foster and Jonathan Joseph. Unless you are a true superstar of superstars--like a self-starter like Andre Johnson or a guy like Lebron for whom the value of his NBA paycheck is virtually meaningless in the face of his greater NBA legacy as well as his multiple other revenue streams--then money changes you.

Although he might have been one pre-Miami days, Chris Bosh was not a top ten player these past four years. Chandler Parsons might be team glue, but he might also be fool's gold (Fool's Gold Pt 2!).

And maybe, just like the last time with the Pau Gasol trade, we have actually been saved from ourselves. We just don't know it yet. Everyone, myself included, is stewing over what transpired last month. But the fat lady ain't sung yet. There's still moves to be made.

1 person likes this.
  14. Exiled

Exiled Member

Don't go a head of u self, Harden did cash in Houston when he left OK..and he is just fine worth every $ Alex paid him for

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Would he really? Morey clearly said that he would retain Parsons if he landed Bosh (who was worth the max to him). Also he was adamant that Parsons is a fantastic player, just not worth the max. You brought up the failed Gasol trade. If anything, it would be a repeat of that (like you said, saving Morey from himself).

16. Hmm

Hmm Member

This entire article simply restates what is already known to this forum and this fandom... however, it's optimistic lean really seems to only hang on the assumption that the team -Harden first and foremost being the catalyst of any substantial change for the better - will improve significantly next year...

That remains to be seen, and with McHale (one of Harden's biggest enablers) still on board, it remains doubtful...

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Maybe it's overly optimistic, but perhaps many Clutchfans here are being too pessimistic at the same time.

I for one have never been on the "Harden Matador Defense" pitchfork-wagon. He clearly has room to improve, and it's not an athleticism issue the way it is for, say, Jeremy Lin.

Maybe the point of this article is, cheer up?

18. Know Your Role

We'll be better than last years team.

19. JD88

JD88 Member

Like I said...

Our record will be +/- 3 wins of last season, and with an improved Harden, Bev, and Jones, we should have a solid team.

On a side note... Ariza shot 45% from 3 during the playoffs? Wow.

20. calcium

calcium Member

I guess it all depends on what is expected of the team.

If making it out of the first round is the goal, then it is very realistic.

I thought last season's team could have got out of the first round,
    even though they didnt.

So if last season's team was not good enough to get out of the
    first round, has this season's team been made stronger/better to do that?

Can this season's team win it all? I certainly hope so, but I dont
    think so.
    I'd rank OKC, SAS and LAC in front of us (from last year) and at this
    point in time, they've not regressed with their squad this offseason
    whereas I think we have, thus far.

Maybe if BGriffin's injury stops him from playing, we might leap frog LAC.
    But NOP seems to have recruited well, as well as the Mavs so they
    might have caught up.

As always, it's going to be tough. But I feel it be tougher this season
    than last.

If we make it to the 2nd round, I'd be happy. Overachieved, even.
    Anything above that is a bonus.