1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Passport Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ziggy, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I applied for a passport 7 weeks ago and paid for expedited service. I travel on the 24th. It hasn't come yet.

I called and called but they didn't do much and told me to wait until 7 days before my flight. That time has come and gone, and even though they've put me in touch with a supervisor they still give me no new info.

They say it's in processing and that they have no clue when it will come, that I'm not allowed to talk to anyone who might and give no advice on if I need to cancel the plans or not.

I asked about going to the office in person. They said my application is in Louisiana and the Houston office wont see me until next Friday.

Any options? What do I do? Apparently the US Government creates the only problems you cant throw money at to shake off. They're impervious to money.

Google could run this entire system better with a 2-man customer service team and a web developer.

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

I had the same problem and got a reissued passport. There's a form you have to fill out and mail; surprised they didn't tell you that over the phone. It's on the state department's website.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If you have proof of travel within 2 weeks, the passport office can usually issue an emergency passport within 48 hours. There will be some expedited fees and I'm not really sure what happens to the fee you have already paid.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man, the people on the phone told me NOTHING of what y'all two just did. I'm guessing I need some sort of special number or alternative website. The one they've been given me has gotten me NOTHING.

This number and site - www.travel.state.gov or call (877) 487-2778 - have gotten me about as far as aids.

I'm going to research the advice y'all gave and try to find the right number. If you or anyone comes across it though I'd appreciate it. I've already wasted 5hrs over the past 3 weeks with people that couldn't help. Don't wanna do it again.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh, they didn't mention this until today. They told me 7 days, not 14. And today they told me there were no appointments available until after my flight date (sweet).

This is what you meant, right? http://travel.state.gov/content/pas...ormation/where-to-apply/agencies/houston.html

6. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Man, I mailed in my passport renewal and did the expedited service. Now I'm worried it won't get here in time.

7. Classic

Classic Member

Pretty sure you need to roll up in that office like a Boss, talk in person, and get it expedited

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Seriously though? Because I will. I saw someone try to do that at the post office passport center without an appointment and was nearly arrested.

9. updawg

updawg Member

If you are in houston you can go and get it same day

10. Classic

Classic Member

If you're in marketing, make it happen--get someone there to work for you and your situation

Yes, I'm being serious

I've heard of people who travel for business who've had to go this route

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Check out these two links:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/FAQs.html

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/services/expedited.html

There are also private companies that will get you a passport right away but for a fee. Usually in the range of 200-300 USD if you don't want to deal with all this trouble.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There's a Houston office, right? March up there with everything you've got, document wise. Birth certificate, drivers license, an old passport, if you have one, and demand, in a nice way, to speak to the supervisor of whoever you end up talking to if you don't get this solved. Be calm and respectful, but be firm. Assume you'll spend a lot of time sitting around waiting. Good luck. I had the same thing happen to me several years ago, post-9/11, and ended up getting a travel document at the freakin' airport just before the flight was called. It's infuriating. At least they're good for 10 years now. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know that you can get one issued same day by going to the houston office and taking all of your credentials...I just don't know all the details.

1 person likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'll try this Monday with no appointment. It sucks because I'm buying a rental property, getting things in check before I leave work and to top it all off, my birth certificate (which I'd need) was mailed to these jabronis with my passport app. Probably wasting my time when I need to addressing other ****.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Get another copy before you go see them. You should be able to drive to a county office and get a copy of your birth certificate. Ziggy, you have to resign yourself to wasting an entire day on this mess. It's a bummer, but it's gotta be done, in my opinion.

16. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

How did you book the trip? Every time I book out of country trips, they need my passport number, name, etc. I use a travel agent though so that might be why. You should go up there and talk to them. Did you do it in a Library or Post Office or the Passport Office?

17. JJ

JJ Member

You can roll up and tell them u don't have an appt. but you are in need of an immediate passport. I did this last month on a Thursday, when I was flying out on a sat. Got the passport same day. Cost was $170. If u are renewing you will need old passport. If u are getting a new one, you will need a birth certificate or passport card. Have all your paperwork ready to go. I went to the passport agency on smith st.

1 person likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sucks I paid extra to expedite it 7 weeks ago and will have to pay another $200. I should get a refund. But yeah right.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is there only *one* in Houston . .. . or multiple ones.
    I know there is one off Chimney Rock across from the Post Office
    but I dunno if it is just an Aux office . . .. and Ziggy would need to go to a 'MAin Office'
    somewhere

If it is a 'Main Office' . . where is it?

ONE MORE THING: If you get a passcard. . . you might as well get the whole passport correct? I think the difference is like 50$?

Rocket River

determined to get a passport by years end.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

There is only one in Houston and that's the Mickey Leland building on smith street.

Passport card is kinda worthless unless you travel via car to Mexico.