1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carl Landry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by austinite, Nov 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. austinite

austinite Contributing Member

Sorry to get blasted if there are a million posts about this topic already. I don't post very often but have been around for many years.

Has anyone else been dissapointed with Carl's play this year? He doesn't seem to be near as explosive as last year and not sure if it is the league adjusting to his style of play or bad matchups so far? What's your thoughts on his performance so far this year?

2. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

Have you seen any games this season!?

Landry has been nothing short of magnificent. He doesn't have anything for sportscenter yet, but he's coming off the bench and giving us a scoring boost. His midrange jumper is just as reliable as Scola's.

3. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Carl looks pretty similar to me. Only difference is his jump shot is better. People's expectations for him are just way too high. He's young, he's still undersized, and he's inexperienced. Give him more time to develop.

4. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

The only thing I've noticed is lack of explosiveness. It's resulted in him getting stuffed at the rim much more frequently.

5. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Carl has been one of the top ten most efficient players per minute since the season started, maybe you just start watching at the wrong time, against the Celts he got into foul trouble and that hurt him.

6. HumbleDan

HumbleDan Contributing Member

Plus, everyone is looking for him this year, that is why his 15' jumper is so important.

7. jVgOwnsYou

He got blocked at the rim alot last year too. He's 67 for crying out loud. Name a 6 7 PF in the NBA that dunks as often as Landry.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Jason Maxiell.

9. Shay

Shay Member

You can't expect a guy to give you 10 points and 6 rebounds in 18 minutes and above 60% from the field all the time.

Landry is a quality backup , Carl had an ok game against Memphis.
    Then played very little because of fouls against Dallas but was good in his limited minutes.
    Played great against Oklahoma.

And against the Celtics again was in foul trouble , he is doing fine.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He's had some foul trouble and unfavorable defensive matchups. He'll be alright as the season progresses.

11. jVgOwnsYou

I wouldnt know for sure, but I bet you he gets blocked alot too. Helps when you have a C like Wallace who can float around the 3 point line and get the big men out of the paint.

12. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

I haven't been disappointed with his play. His midrange game is much better, but he just seems a little too eager at this point to make the highlight play when he has a chance, and instead he fumbles it off his leg.

Once he puts both together he'll be a huge contributor.

13. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

started well, then 2 games with foul trouble.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

You guys expecting 10 highlight dunks every game? He's becoming smarter about his play, and that means a longer career. He's fine.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

No he's not - he has no where near the explosiveness he wow'd us with last year. That's not to say he hasn't been good.. just not the Landry we first knew when he came on the scene.

I'm starting to question his basketball IQ lately.. there's been times he stands flat footed under the goal pump faking, waiting for a space to go up with it. Why don't you just take a power dribble and go to the other side of the basket?! It drives me nuts.. he crouches down pump faking like he lost his dribble, when one hard dribble would give him an easy dunk.

16. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

As v3.0 said. Don't expect several explosive dunks evey night. He has had some nice dunks this season, but again, don't expect it every game.

I really don't care how many dunks he has as long as he plays well. His game really matured. He is helping this team, and I am very happy about his jumpshot. He is so reliable with those jumpers and he has some open looks.

In my opinion he will only look better, but so far he hasn't looked bad at all.

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

6'7 3/4 without shoes.

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

That's what I'm saying, don't expect the highlight dunks from last year. He's becoming smarter about his play and trying to conserve himself. He's relying more on finesse. Just like Scola not trying to dunk.

Get your ESPN highlight dunks from Lebron.

19. jVgOwnsYou

Most second year players have questionable bball IQs. He's still developing.

20. jVgOwnsYou

He's about Artest's height which makes him an undersized PF. If he keeps going to the rim aggressively its going to happen. He will also get to the line alot which is positive.