1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why isn't Philly bidding on Bledsoe and Monroe?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Jul 26, 2014.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Philly is grooming its own stars - commendable way!

2. thething

thething Contributing Member

It is a good question why they don't do it. They could easily trade Bledsoe for a 1st round pick if Phoenix ended up not matching. That's the same value as winning a few extra games.

It's not like there is no risk, though. If he got injured, they would not be able to trade him and would be stuck with a horrible contract.

But given that Phoenix is extremely likely to match, I don't see why not go for it.

3. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

[​IMG]

sometimes a picture says a thousand words

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

and sometimes it just makes you look like a tremendous douche for screwing up everyone else's browsers.

5. afk

afk Member

From what I can tell, they didn't bother making offers because they know their offers will be matched. In other words, you would be doing Phoenix and Detroit a favor.

6. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

WHat?? If no one is willing to pay bledsoe max money, or even throw monroe an offer right now....how do you figure Philly is going to unload them 2-3 months into the season?? If a team wanted either, they could go for them now without losing any assets. You're banking on these guys all of a sudden becoming in demand?

7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I can't stand tanking and I would try to organize a boycott of games if Houston would've went that route. I'm sorry but it requires luck and teaching players and coaches to go against what they train to do. Win.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The coaches and players don't try to lose, the front office just makes the team so bad, that they are going to lose.

9. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Fair, but if they start winning or if some vets show promise it gets problematic. For example, philly getting rid of Spencer Hawes, Evan Turner and reportedly Young on the market. They've kept MCW but that's the only continuity and we have to rely on his rookie season as a benchmark for if he'll be a true building block or not. Plus, Embiid's health is a factor. Risky business.

10. basketballholic

No one was willing to throw out a max offer sheet because they knew it would be matched. Now all the teams that would have likely bid on one of these guys have used their cap space elsewhere.

But to extrapolate from that that no one is or was willing to pay max for either of these guys is wrong. Teams just weren't willing to tie up cap space for 3 days and watch DET and PHX match. PHX and DET are willing to pay max.

And that is the rub with restricted free agency. Both DET and PHX are on record that they'll match a max offer...but they won't offer the player a max deal. That's a joke and something I'm sure the players association will address and make sure is corrected with the next CBA.

So because I know there are teams willing to pay these guys the max I'm confident Philly could unload them to that said team on Dec. 15th if they indeed signed them.

11. basketballholic

I don't think a 1-year deal at the max is doing PHX and DET a favor. Yes, they'd have to match...but then the quandry becomes do they want to pay the super max 5-year deal with 7.5% raises next summer?? Because if they match a one-year deal at the max...they will have obviously pissed off the player to the point where the player is going to walk from them for nothing just to burn their hide if they get a regular max offer somewhere else. The only way the team can walk the player back would be to offer the 5-year max deal with 7.5% raises.

In other words, it will cost DET and PHX either the player himself because he walks...or they'll have to re-up him on a longer, higher max deal. And then the player has the upper hand on any trade that they attempt to execute of him.

It's not a favor to DET and PHX. It puts them on the spot.