1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BBS dignity and respect

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by F.D. Khan, Nov 6, 2001.

1. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Well I think Clutch, Brian, Will and the Rest are getting quite fed up with the amount of hate that seems to be permeating through this BBS. Its ironic that we sit here and badger and denounce leaders for not willing to talk and compromise, then we sit here and use such derogatory language towards another human being like:

jewish swine
    arab animal
    dumbass
    idiot
    bigot

Does anyone think that there will be an appropriate response when someone describes another in this fashion?

If we can all come together on a subject that we have so much undying love for : Houston Rockets Basketball
    Why cannot we treat each other with some civility.
    I admit, times I may have crossed the line and am far from
    infallible. But I think we need to open a thread to show the people that spend their FREE time keeping this site around that it can bring people together, not just tear them apart.

People of the Book (Jews, Christians, Muslims) all believe in the same God, and the story of Abraham and Moses. Yet why is it that the most fighting goes on within 'brothers' in religion?

I advocate that death and killing is wrong. Every human should have certain freedoms that should be brought about by a government that dictates the will of the people.

I hear the discussions of individuals, I do not want to discuss names, in which the death or destruction of other people is justified. I want to have more respect for the human psyche.
    I want to believe that man is inherantly good and modeled after his maker, and not the opposite.

But looking at the events that are done in the name of God, I doubt that God at times wants anything to do with us.
    He preaches love, we manipulate it into hate.

How Can God's Will:

Force Al-Queda to kill Thousands of innocent women and children
    Force the Taliban to beat a women if she learns to read
    Force Isreal to displace 700,000 Palestinians and steal their honor

How Can We Allow:

Osama Bin Laden and the Taliban to kill and oppress
    Ariel Sharon to be in power after his atrocities
    Agosto Pinochet to ever see the light of day
    US mandated sanctions to kill Iraqi and Libyan children while their leaders run free and feast on the weak

Lets step aside from our personal beliefs, embedded thoughts and biases and say what is wrong is wrong.

How can someone talk about the anihilation of jews and the destruction of Isreal, when they are upset because of the destruction of Palestine and the diaspora and horrendous treatment of the Palestinians...

I believe right is right, and wrong is wrong....now that is much easier said than done. But if we can all agree to conduct ourselves with a little dignity and respect.....we will still have a forum to do so in....

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

is there an emoticon w/ a pair of hands patting down? Let's not deal w/ this right now. :)

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I agree that the crap that has been posted on this board in recent months shouldn't be tolerated. However, I think we do a pretty good job of policing it ourselves. For example, if I was to post that I thought all Jews should be slaughtered (which I obviously don't believe), there would be 50 responses telling me I'm an idiot.

What that shows me is that this board is fine. It's not an outlet for racist diatribes. In the rare instance we get nutjobs like that, they are quickly put in their place by the vast majority of decent people in the Hangout.

4. cson

cson Contributing Member

maybe it is too simplistic, but these are not the easiest of times...and it shows...

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

This isn't a public park or a government building. It's a fan's internet site, hosted by a private company. There is no right of free speech here!

Instead, your posting privelages are at the will of the administrators. And they have a pretty long leash, in most instances. But they also have the rest of the board to keep in mind. If someone contributes nothing but diatribes against Jewish people, or black people, or women, or whatever... then they are a detriment to the BBS and don't belong here.

6. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

'sniff sniff' I LOVE YOU GUYS!

:D

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I agree completely with Sam. I purposely stay out (most of the time) of the middle east, foreign policy, etc. threads for 2 reasons:

1) I don't like entering an argument in which I don't know enough about the subject to make a valid argument.

2) To me it serves no purpose to argue with people who have already made up their mind about something..it leads to nothing more than more hatred.

Clutch,
    Granted I have been here long, but it's obvious to me that you and your crew run a great website. To lose the Hangout forum would be a tremendous blow. I know that I can get obnoxious at times with talking trash to R0ckets 03, moe, etc. about the Yankees, Raiders, etc. but that's just being a fan. However, telling a whole BBS that you hoped that they get "nuked off the earth" is a different story. I can only pray that the poster who made that remark can find God or Allah or the inner peace that everyone needs and get the hatred out of his system.

The hangout is a great place to read up on world events, talk about other sports, and read bizarre stories. Maybe if certain topics were made off-limits, that would help things. I don't know what's the best solution. But, I'm making a plea for the Hangout Forum to remain.

8. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Without his precious Hangout forum, Manny will never keep his posts-per-day average so high! :D

(Just kidding, dude...)

Clutch, et all: Keep the hangout forum alive. We can either put the trolls on our ignore list or have them banned. Don't let a small minority wreck it for the rest of us (assuming you don't think I'm a troll...). Don't let the trolls win.

But... since this is essentially your forum to do what you wish and not ours, I'll respect whatever course of action you take (assuming action is indeed required). Do what you must.

9. davo

davo Contributing Member

F.D.Khan,

I appreciate your attempt to re-unify this forum, and I agree in principle with what you present.

I do not know anything about Sharon committing attrocities, so I will not comment on it.

What I do know is that the US does not "mandate sanctions to kill Iraqi and Libyan children..."

How you can include such an inflammatory statement in a thread pleading for tolerance and moderation? Do you truly believe this is the intent of the USA?

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Khan, I know you believe the U.S. is secretly stealing our rights, and it's wrong for the U.S. to tighten some of it's security because it takes away from our rights, but it made me sick to my stomach that you actually think the U.S. has made it legal to kill Iraqi children and Libyan children. You ask for peace, then you accuse the U.S. of following the footsteps of the Taliban and Osama bin Laden. Sorry, your entire post's credibility was killed when you accused the U.S. of mandating the murder of Iraqi and Libyan children. Where's the proof? And it isn't the U.S.'s job to look out for Iraq. If Hussein wasn't a nutcase we wouldn't even be worried about their country.

#10 RocksMillenium, Nov 6, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2001
  11. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

I realized that I wrote "to" instead of "that"

I meant to say sanctions "that" kill Iraqi and Libyan children.

I by no means meant that it is the desired result of our actions, but that it is an ancilliary result of our actions.

I'm not a extremely pride filled person that cannot admit a mistake and I stand corrected. But I do feel that the US's foreign policy needs to be more aware of ripples created.

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

There are some policies of the U.S. that I disagree with, but I don't think they're pure evil like you're saying. And I don't think the U.S. policies are "killing" children, especially in Iraq. Iraq has been doing a good job of hurting themselves on their own. Maybe you should blame Hussein for Iraq's children dying since he is the cause of it. I mean you say U.S.'s policy have a ripple effect, I think countries like Iraq having germ warfare, trying to develop nuclear weapons, testing weapons on their own people, trying to conquer other countries, and being friends of people who commit murder are the ones that have an effect on the world.

13. davo

davo Contributing Member

F.D. Khan

At the time of the September 11 atacks, I seem to remember that you were encouraging people on this BBS to ask "why" such terrorist attacks would occur.

Let me try the same logic on you. Why would the USA mandate sanctions that have may have the collateral effect of harming children? Because:-
    a) Iraq and Libya have oppressive schemes that sponsor terrorism
    b) Iraq repeatedly defies the UN to allow arms inspections, the acceptance of which would avoid the sanctions.
    c) Iraq continues to develop weapons of mass destruction

Is that enough reason for you, because it seems like perfect justification to me. If innocent children are being harmed, it is the fault of ruling Governments and they alone. Also, these are sanctions, the least aggressive course of action possible. I can think of a few less savory methods that would be more effective, but would probably present more risk to innocent civillians.

14. boy

boy Member

a) Iraqi and Libyan governments were put in power by coups backed by CIA
    b) Iraq was given biological weapons by US during the Iraq/Iran war...
    c) Albright condoned policies and did not reject the fact taht 500,000 kids have died in Iraq on an interview with CBS (60 minutes?)
    d) at Qana in 96 a UN camp in Lebanon/Israel border Israeli forces shot and killed 200 people
    e) at Sabra and Chatila in 82 Sharon ordered a terrorist group to rape, torture, and kill around 2,000 people in a matter of days in a UN camp...infact an Israeli inquiry said he was 'indirectly responsible'

One of the survivors, Souad Srour Al-Marai, gave harrowing details of the massacre, which took the lives of most of her family. She said: "My little sister, aged 18 months, raised her hand and asked her mother to pick her up, she was frightened. Then they started shooting at us.

"My little sister received a bullet in the head, my father was hit in his chest but was still alive. My brothers and sisters, Chadi [3], Farid [8], Bassam [11], Hajar [7], Chadia [18 months] [and] also our neighbour were all killed by the first bullets."

The woman then said she was raped in front of her dying father and left for dead.

http://www.independent.co.uk/story.jsp?story=78936

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

For a positive story on the Palestinian/Israel conflict about some people engaging Jewish and Arab kids in a diaogue, see:
    http://slate.msn.com/?id=2058163&entry=0

Gives you some hope about the situation.

16. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Almost forgot about boy!

You are #3 on my good ole ignore list! :cool:

Atleast you get to join your friends Q8 and rompa :D

17. treeman

treeman Member

I have only two questions for boy and glynch, and they are each the lynchpin of their respective conflicts:

1) Why won't Saddam Hussein allow UN weapons inspectors to reenter the country and finish their job? The sanctions cannot legally be lifted until the weapons inspectors have certified Iraq as WMD-free, have certified that they no longer have any SCUDs (or worse), and have certified that Iraq no longer maintains a significant production capacity for WMD.

Why won't the Iraqis let the UN Weapons inspectors back in, since they profess to not own any WMD, and that is the only way sanctions can be lifted?

2) Why can't the Arab side in the Palestinian-Israeli side accept a post-1948 division? (i.e., why do the Arabs keep trying to exterminate the Jews? and why can't they live with a state of Israel next to Palestine?)

And why don't the Palestinians differentiate between civilians and IDF? Or IDF and Americans, for that matter?

(this is irrelevant to the questions, but I want to point out that Israel has no US tanks - they have Merkava I, Merkava II, Merkava III, and captured T-55/62/72 series tanks - they have no US tanks; just a sticky point with this armor fanatic)

18. boy

boy Member

saddam is stupid

arab leadership is stupid

and the third point...well why don't you differenciate between everyday palestinian who's suffering, who doesn't have water or a job, his shelter is a camp or a mud 'house' and those who blow up school-children?

i think most operations carried out by hizbullah have been against israeli defense forces...

19. haven

haven Member

I actually don't understand the problem.

Most people think that the more incendiary, bigoted posters are morons. I think the reaction from both sides of the "fence" has been appropriate.

If these hate mongers were developing a following, I'd be more upset.

20. treeman

treeman Member

boy:

I do differentiate between the terrorists and civilians. Despite the lies you've been told the IDF does too, boy. If they didn't then there would be no Palestinians left... But they target Hamas, Hizbollah, and Islamic Jihad (and those PFLP wannabes), they don't just aim at the nearest school bus.

Until they figure out the difference, there will be no peace. But wait, you don't want peace, do you? You don't believe that Israel should even exist, do you?

Until you accept the fact that Israel is a permanent state in the region, there will be no peace.

And no, Hizbollah does not just target IDF. They have killed many a civilian - including Americans. They were responsible for holding the hostages from the Iran-hostage crisis, remember? They're also adept at airborne terrorism/hijacking.