1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gordon Hayward Extension Watch: Setting the Bar for Chandler Parsons Contract?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 20, 2013.

?

What will Hayward's next contract be for per year?

1. Less than $7M

25 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. $7-8M

45 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. $8-9M

57 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. $9-10M

51 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. $10-11M

32 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. More than $11M

56 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Gordon Hayward is heading into the 4th yr of his rookie deal and, like recently extended teammate D. Favors, is eligible to sign an extension with Utah rather than become an RFA in 2014.

I am curious to see whether an extension is reached and, if so, what the $ amount is because there is some similarities between Hayward and Rockets SF Chandler Parsons (not complete parallel, of course, in terms of contract status given that Parsons is not on the rookie scale). More specifically, I think that, whatever Hayward gets, Parsons is worth a little bit less.

Both are skilled SFs and appealing to female fans. http://www.flickr.com/photos/saltcityhoops/8453870169/ Hayward is a bit younger, more statistically productive and better overall (more on ball skills, ability to draw fouls, etc.) so I think he deserves more than Parsons.

So, what do you think Hayward will sign for?

Poll coming up.

2. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

around 7 million, not someone you wanna put too much money into

3. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

in what world is heyward better than parsons???

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't care how much Parsons is going to get paid as long as it doesn't affect our chances of getting a 3rd star. Unless he or someone else on this current roster is that 3rd star, then I only want him getting money after the Rockets land a stud in a trade, or via 2015 FA. After that, he can make $10mil/yr for all I care.

5. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Parsons is much more handsome. I bet the female fans would be willing to chip in a couple mil to keep him around.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Parsons a better all around player than Hayward. The only thing Hayward has is that he's 2 years younger than Chandler.

7. Omer

Omer Member

Wtf when was Gordon Hayward ever better than Chandler Parsons?

8. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Hayward is more athletic and is a better offensive player than Parsons

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

10. rogower

rogower Member

Favors got four years, $49 mil. My guess is that Hawyard gets slightly less or the same. I predict four years, $45 mil. I agree that Parsons will get about the same as Hayward, probably slightly more.

11. rogower

rogower Member

Those predicting less than $7 mil/year do not pay very close attention to what teams are willing to pay for players.

12. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Good thread. First, I had no idea some thought Hayward was a better all around player than Parsons. I don't really watch his games & can't say either way. I do recall people commenting that Hayward stood out in the Team USA summer scrimmages and was surprised to hear no such feedback about Parsons. That said, I think how much they each improve as perimeter defender and their role in the offense will also play into salary offer. Look at Paul George (of course on a different tier) he gets a max contract for being one of the best perimeter defenders and the primary offensive option on his team. Then we look at Kawhi Leonard (who I like to compare with Parsons, but better upside) and he might be in line to receive a big extension if he becomes one of the primary offensive options (since Big 3 are getting older & Pop is going to pace their minutes & lower their offensive usage, while upping Kawhi). Now, Parsons, he may never be a primary offensive option (b/c we have Howard, Harden, & Lin, if he comes off bench) but if he can improve his D & play another year as the clear winner of the 2nd/3rd scoring option after Harden/Howard he deserves something in the $10+ range. Even then I feel like I'm not giving Parsons enough credit. That said, I think Parsons, Kawhi, & Hayward are going to be good SFs to watch for in terms of developing big time and trying to get to the Paul George level (as a 2-way player, not like the glorified shooter in Melo).

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

He'll get $12 mil like Favors. And then Trey Burke will want $12 mil. And don't forget about Enes Kanter too. And everybody signs for $12 million!

I'd guess $8 million is just the starting point and could go up from there. Probably closer to $10, $11, or even yes $12 million.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

$10-$11 million.

And Parsons will get around $9-$10 million.

15. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i don't see parsons and his agent crippling the rockets with a huge contract. what makes parsons so valuable is his contract.

as he negotiates his way to a larger contract, the less likely he is to stick around. be careful chandler - do you want to build a dynasty? or get paid?

16. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Comparison made because he is white.

17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Parsons and Hayward are very similar players but I think Parsons is the better player. I do like Hayward though even though he plays for the Jazz lol. Parsons just fits better with this team and is a better shooter and playmaker than Gordon. They should get similar contracts though. Say 4 years/30 million?

18. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Why shouldn't he want a larger contract? He's was way underpaid last season and will be again this season. If Morey paid for potential (Lin/Asik), why not also pay for contribution. Besides, didn't Les say he will pay for a championship team, and if Parsons is a part of that championship equation, then you pay him what he's worth.

19. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

What? They're both white?!?! No way!!!

20. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Someone doesn't remember the Moochie Norris contract. Same agent. Fegan will do anything and everything to squeeze an extra nickel out of Les. That's why I think it's a good idea to let him become a restricted free agent this summer, because if he's unrestricted, I could easily see him leaving.