1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson becoming a star?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Mar 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

His numbers in March:

16.3 points on 51.3% from the field and 40% from three, 8.1 assists (2.1 turnovers) and 3.6 rebounds in 33.7 min per. Nuggets 7-3 during that span.

Discuss.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

He just needed an opportunity. I don't know if I'd call him a 'star' in the Westbrook/Rose mold, but I think he could become a great PG that cracks the top ten as he develops.

What's most interesting about the Lawson situation is Raymond Felton backing him up. Both Carolina PGs who were the starting PG for championship runs; it's pretty cool watching George Karl (UNC alum) playing them on the floor at the same time, much like we did with Lowry/Brooks.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not suprising. The guy was an unbelievably efficient rookie: .600 TS%, 15 pts, 5.6 assits pers 36 minutes. You just don't find many rookie PGs with that kind of numbers. And it's not like he was playing only garbage minutes, either-- he logged 20 mpg behind Billups.

This has carried on this year even before he became the full-time starter. Ty Lawson is no joke.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He is very solid all around. I don't know if he will ever be able to put Billups type efficiency, but it is clear that he is the main reason the Nuggets are winning games.

5. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Lawson plays at a much more frantic pace than Billups, and he's running with some trigger-happy wings in JR, Chandler, and Gallo. I think his shot looks really odd (kind of a low release point/not much arc), and he used to be very passive from 3-pt, but he's made strides in that department. Plus, I like the fact that he has a thick build (a la Kyle), so he's able to absorb contact and still finish at the rim.

Arron Afflalo's the unsung hero of the Nugs, IMO. He's Denver's glue guy... superb perimeter defender, can knock down the 3-ball and attack off the bounce, very cerebral -- he puts Shane Battier to shame. When he scores 20+, Denver is a force to be reckoned with. I watched him drop 31 in a win over PHX (11-14 FG, 2-4 3PT, 7-7 FT, 9 REB), and he's put up 20+ in a couples of dubs over Dallas.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Seems like a Jameer Nelson clone.

7. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

i wanted to draft him, but did not have any picks.

KL is good enough for us now.

8. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Dropped Deron Williams for him as Williams may be shut down for the season.

9. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

In the same span, Lowry is 20.4/7.9/5.3, 50% and 46.3%, Rockets are 7:3 too.

Lowry beats Lawson in almost every stat.

10. VanityHalfBlack

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uiKLA7RrIps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Landry92

Landry92 Member

He looks like a
    better passing
    average shooting
    better defending
    AB

12. AggieRocketsFan

The only other stat that stand out to me:

Lawson - 2nd year
    Lowry - 5th year

Although this means Lawson should hit a wall when teams figure out how to guard him more consistently. Lowry has already gotten over that hurdle and is expanding his game.

Notice how Lowry doesn't flop near as much anymore?

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Lawson is also being pushed for minutes by Raymond Felton, whereas Lowry is the clear cut PG you want on the floor in Houston.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Denver and Houston seem to be in parallel universes now.

15. AB423

AB423 Member

nice play but travel

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

I just find it funny how Denver took off when they lost their so-called superstar, and Lawson is a major driving force in their winning ways. Didn't PHX enjoy the same kind of rennaisance when Starbury left them for coney island and they got Nash?

The parallel is pretty funny if you ask me. Maybe a couple of years from now we'll see Melo eating vaseline on ustream.

17. AFS

AFS Member

only a travel if you get caught ;)

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Lol I counted 5 steps after his last dribble. That's the NBA for ya.

Lawson is as good an offensive player as Lowry or Brooks or Felton or Collison, just below the Williams Paul Rose Westbrook range, but on defense I'm afraid he's just another Brooks.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Naa, it's not that close to Nash coming to Phoenix. Nash was already a veteran and an All-star coming into Phoenix, while Lawson is only a second year up and coming player.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Haven't really seen him play enough at the NBA level to make an honest judgement. The times I have seen him I notice he brings something positive and affects the game in multiple ways, unlike JR Smith who may or may not contribute to actually winning the game.

What I am sure of though is that NBA point guard is a dicey position these days. Seemingly anyone can put up numbers in the right situation . Be it someone like Raymond Felton, Kyle Lowry, Darren Collison or Ramon Sessions. Its tough to tell if a young player is truly becoming a star or merely putting up stats.