1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My House Got Robbed Today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Dec 7, 2007.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm in San Francisco right now on business trip and found out that my house got robbed today. In an eerie or ironic twist the circumstances are very similar to the Joe Horn case. The robbery happened during the day while no one was home and a neighbor saw the robber leaving the house, CARRYING MY FLAT SCREEN TV! :mad: She called the 911.

That's were the similarities end. My neighbor didn't go out and confront them and reported the information to the police and it sounds like they have someone in custody. When I get back I will go and identify the material they caught him with to see if it is mine.

Even though it sounds like things might work out I still feel angry, violated and helpless. That still hasn't changed my mind about the Joe Horn case and the reckless law that might make what he did legal.

For those of you who were saying what if it was your house next wouldn't you want Joe Horn as your neighbor. Well it was my house next and I still don't want Joe Horn as my neighbor. He might've thought he was doing the right thing but even with the anger and bitterness I feel right now I wouldn't want someone to die just so I could keep my peace of mind. Even more so I wouldn't have wanted my neighbor to confront the robber and possibly get hurt, thrown in jail or worse. I couldn't bear having on my conscious for something bad to have happened to her just so I could keep my TV.

TV's microwaves, guitars and cash are things. We place great value on them because we believe they are tangible and permanent but they aren't. In the end all we have is ourselves and I would rather do without a TV than live with the thought of someone dying or getting hurt over it.

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Sorry for that happening bro.

I was going to say this in the Joe Horn thread, but I might as well say it here. For those saying that ridiculous "Neighbor for the Year" for Joe Horn or "Joe Horn for President" crap going on lately, (and lets forget for a minute, the fact he killed two people and the discussion of the value of human life as everybody has a different view on whats "just" or "unjust")

People are calling Joe Horn Neighbor of the Year because he "did the right thing". He made his neighborhood safer and basically had his neighbor's back. It wasn't about the amount taken but the principle. How being robbed is being violated (almost like rape) and that principle must be protected - even with lethal force.

Ok that's fine. Everybody has their own views on certain things and no amount of debate will change that. But is he really Neighbor of the Year? How about the word "Hero" being thrown around lately. Is he really a hero? Was his act a selfless courageous act or did he have his own personal grudges or incentives? Did his actions at the very least change anything?

Let me tell you something. The next burglar will make sure he brings his own gun. That's the mind of a criminal - he'll look out for his own ass. Joe Horn killing two burglars will not bring bread on their table so they will still steal if thats what they have to do. So we just got a few more would be unarmed burglars thinking twice before they walk out without a piece. He failed to make his neighborhood nor the world is any safer. In some way or another, all of this will trickle down and more lives(innocent or not) will be lost. All in all, Joe Horn you didn't accomplish anything.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sucks about the tv, SC. At least everyone is safe.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks. I was actually really worried about my cat. I was having mouse problems for awhile and I got a cat three weeks ago and this is the first time I've been out of town since I got her. I was really worried that they might've left the door open after they took my stuff and she might've wondered outside and be freezing. Thankfully she is still a bit skittish about strangers and sounds like she hid until a good friend of mine showed up to check on my house.

5. ymc

ymc Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. But isn't that a burglary as opposed to robbery? I think you need to be personally threatened (e.g. someone points a gun at you) and then take your stuff, then it is robbery, right?

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Don't share the sentiments. Many, many years ago, I had a 1955 black Gibson Les Paul, a 1964 Fender J-Bass, a mid-50's Fender 4-10 Concert amp and a high-end stereo I hadn't made the first pay on stolen from me.

I felt the same then as I do now. Kill them.

Today, instead of living in an apartment, I own a home and am surrounded by neighbors who watch my property as I watch theirs. Friends stopping by when I'm not home frequently get asked if they know me. It took a LONG time but I've somewhat replaced those great guitars...so I find solace in the vigilance of my neighbors. And I'd return the favor.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Well think of it this way -- at least you don't have a race riot in front of your house.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I don't believe this story.

jukoda is trying to claim some moral high ground....again.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

BWhat are you gonna do when he comes back tonight for your computer?

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

That sucks, Sishir. I hope you can recover your stuff.

11. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that, I still want Joe Horn as my neighbor because if you don't want to be shot than don't try to break into someone's house.

12. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Something must have happened to you during your time away. Were you scared by another possum that you mistook for a big rat?(http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=94063&highlight=possum) Are you suffering from PTSD? Whatever it was, seek help before you become an even more annoying twit.

13. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The penalty for burglary and or theft is not death and you damn sure are not the judge and jury. You kill the burglar and you may be sitting in Huntsville over some guitars.

14. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't believe after reading all these threads that you are still sticking with your neanderthal type reasoning.

He doesn't need to make up anything, Joe Horn broke the law. Period.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Some boys kiss me, some boys hug me
    I think theyre o.k.
    If they dont give me proper credit
    I just walk away

They can beg and they can plead
    But they cant see the light, thats right
    cause the boy with the cold hard cash
    Is always mister right, cause we are

Chorus:

Living in a material world
    And I am a material girl
    You know that we are living in a material world
    And I am a material girl

Some boys romance, some boys slow dance
    Thats all right with me
    If they cant raise my interest then i
    Have to let them be

Some boys try and some boys lie but
    I dont let them play
    Only boys who save their pennies
    Make my rainy day, cause they are

(chorus)

Living in a material world [material]
    Living in a material world
    (repeat)

Boys may come and boys may go
    And thats all right you see
    Experience has made me rich
    And now theyre after me, cause everybodys

(chorus)

A material, a material, a material, a material world

16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i got robbed at gunpoint in my own house - got woke up at 3 in the morning by some dude kicking down my door and putting a gun to my head, while his friends took everything of value.

it was 10 years ago and i still wish they were dead. austin pd was a joke and did nothing for me - my only comfort lies in knowing that at some point these assholes probably got caught doing something, but they went unpunished for what they did to me.

if you try to rob or steal, you get what you deserve - i have no sympathy for dead thieves.

im against the death penalty, but i think armed robbery should get you life in prison.

17. Bandwagoner

So this is S Chang? Why do you guys change names all the time. :(

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what these guys did to you threatened your life. they didn't wait till you were gone...they attacked you and stole stuff. awful. had you used force to protect yourself that would have been self-defense, without any question. i don't think anyone would have any problem with you defending yourself.

i draw a HUGE distinction between that and what this guy did.

19. Bandwagoner

How the hell do you sleep at night?

I would have like 5 locks, bars on the windows, locks on my bedroom door, and then still could not sleep.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry your house got robbed. That sucks big time, and can definitely make someone feel violated and vulnerable.

It is great that you are sticking to your convictions. It shows character. I hope that they caught the guys, and I hope you get your stuff back.