1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Fuller - Texans 1st round pick, 21st overall

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 28, 2016.

?

Do you agree with this pick?

1. YES

77.4%
  2. NO

22.6%
  1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2ZtSA9lGfk8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The major difference of course being that John Brown was always seen as someone with good hands despite them being small, much like TY Hilton. Fuller is not seen to have good hands and he's a body catcher.

Another difference is that John Brown is an elusive player seen as a playmaker even as a return man, Fuller isn't. He's just a fast guy, he's not all that elusive and isn't a candidate to return kicks.

Also, if Fuller was picked at the end of the 3rd round like John Brown was, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. Most of those who dislike the pick dislike it because the team passed on better receivers to take a guy with flaws.

3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

One of Notre Dame's go-to plays was a quick pass to Fuller at the LOS, and he routinely got double digit yards out of these. I just don't understand how anyone who has watched any of Fuller's film can say he's not elusive.

4. AFS

AFS Member

Based on the limited film I've seen from him, it looked more like he was getting these chunks of yards by being a patient runner and reading his blocking well. It didn't look like he was making people miss in quite the same way that someone like Braxton Miller does it.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

For what it's worth, PFF lists Fuller as one of the worst picks of this draft

Link: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/05/02/draft-the-16-worst-picks-of-the-2016-nfl-draft/

14. Will Fuller, WR, Houston Texans
    I like Fuller a lot, and believe he went to one of the best situations for him in the league, but taking Fuller over Josh Doctson is mind-boggling. Fuller obviously has elite speed and it’s clear the Texans wanted a deep threat to take pressure off of DeAndre Hopkins. But instead of getting a deep threat only in Fuller, they could have gotten a deep threat who is also an intermediate threat and red-zone threat. Doctson is a far better all-around receiver and caught just as many deep passes (17) as Fuller did last season.

6. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

But that's impossible, he's a one-dimensional fast guy. He doesn't know how to read blockers. The internet said so.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Nice post and interesting comparison

If we get that kind of production we should be happy

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

John Brown was a #4 with Fitzegarald and Floyd as 1 and 2. He benefited from them and not vice versa. I'm not the biggest fan of the Fuller pick, but I'm expecting (hopeful) his career to be better than Brown's.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not trying to be contentious, but last year Floyd started 6 games, Brown started 11. John Brown's snap count was 826 (75% of 1,101 snaps) and Michael Floyd's was 652 (59.2% of 1,101 snaps). By comparison, Larry Fitzgerald started all 16, and was on the field for 982 snaps (89.2% of 1,101 team snaps). The only other player to start at receiver for the Cardinals was JJ Nelson (who had 2 starts) who was on the field for 148 snaps (13.4% of 1,101 total).

They did mix it up a bit, but Brown got the lion's share of starter's minutes. They did start 3 receivers at least once, with both Floyd and Brown alongside Fitzgerald on December 20th at the Eagles. I have the NFC championship game on my DVR and just watched Floyd, Brown, and Fitzgerald run out on the field for the first offensive play of the game with my own two eyes.

Games starters can be found here. Snap counts can be found here.

I am operating on the assumption that John Brown's numbers would be best case for Fuller. If he matches that production, I will eat crow, say I was horribly mistaken and grovel for forgiveness. I give Brown an edge in talent for his ability to catch, and the Texans also have to spread the pie around a little more, with Strong and Miller as other young guys, in addition to Hopkins and Fuller and maybe Shorts or someone else.

#389 Ottomaton, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  10. RocketTOOL

RocketTOOL Member

PFF means nothing to me. PFF is irrelevant. Same people who rode Aaron Donald over JJ all last year. Everyone has an agenda. I let the field call it.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

The official depth chart lists Floyd ahead of Brown. I watched too many Cardinals games, for fantasy football reasons. Floyd was much more of a threat than Brown. Floyd had a lot of injury issues but managed to play through them. Brown had two WOW games but Floyd had more 100 yard games (5 - 2). You're right. They started Brown more often than Floyd, but I still think they regard and treated Floyd as their WR2.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Fuller has elite speed.

Miller has elite quickness.

I applaud OBie for trying to build a top 10 offense, to go along with their top 10 defense.

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

For as elusive as John Brown is... i didnt see him do anything after the catch in those highlights other than slide when defenders show up. I would have like Doctson, but to be honest, all of this is thinking Strong is a bust. I dont think he is (yet) and i dont think the FO thinks he is yet. Getting Doctson or Treadwell is not only like another Dhop player, but it would have been the THIRD.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

I see this a lot but I don't see the problem with having two players like Hopkins. Put them on opposite sides, or on the same side and have one slant across the middle. Are you kidding me? That's a matchup nightmare.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's redundant; allows a defense to simply replicate what they're doing on either side of the field. Very few offenses function like that; the preference is always to diversify your weapons, to attack with a number of different skill sets in order to exploit the defense's personnel.

I don't know if it'll work - but if all these guys live up to their potential, this is a going to be a nightmare of an offense to try and stop.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Replicating the same thing on both sides of the field means either one on one coverage and/or you leave the slot WR wide open. We've seen Hopkins go deep, it's not like he's incapable. We've seen Strong do the same. If I'm a defensive coordinator, I'll assign my fastest CB to Fuller and send the extra safety to help on Hopkins until Fuller has proven that he deserves a double-team. If Doctson is that much better a receiver, and I'm not necessarily saying he is, then you have to pick your poison on where to send the double-teams.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's like saying that having a JJ Watt on both sides of the D line would be redundant.....I mean maybe, but that kind of redundancy is awesome.

18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I don't see the a problem with picking a safe, highly regarded WR like Doctson and putting him opposite of Hopkins.

I see the benefit of complementing Hopkins with Fuller, though. It does have more potential to help our offense given the variety, but there's also more bust potential. High risk, high reward that'll be evaluated by our offensive production versus individual stats.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Not going to lie, I really wanted them to draft Doctson over Fuller.....of course, that mostly comes from being an avid TCU fan, and watching his entire collegiate career. He's going to be a star WR in the NFL.

With that said, I'm excited to see what Fuller can bring to the team and that speed.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The no hands thing with Fuller is SO overhyped. It's like he's never caught a ball with hands before.