1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roosevelt Colvin visits

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Phillyrocket, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Kind of under the radar, seems we were his last visit.....

Courting Colvin
    March 8, 2003

By Carter Toole

HoustonTexans.com

Sure, Rosevelt Colvin is about to get a nice, fat raise. But considering his schedule the past week, here's hoping Colvin's agent has also invested in a frequent-flyer program for the former Bears linebacker.

"The traveling is wearing on me," Colvin said. "First I went to New York, then I went to Detroit. I flew to Arizona, then went back home for a day and then flew to Jacksonville before coming here."

Here is Houston, where Colvin is pretty sure he's wrapped up his whirlwind tour. He visited the Texans at Reliant Stadium Saturday, taking in the club's facilities and meeting with Texans head coach Dom Capers.

The Texans have plenty of company in trying to secure the services of Colvin, considered by many to be the top free agent on the market, regardless of position. Colvin has racked up 10 1/2 sacks in each of the past two seasons and has 26 sacks through his first four seasons.

Colvin is ferocious and consistent. He set a Bears record in 2002 by securing a sack in eight consecutive regular season games. And Colvin is the first Bears linebacker to crack the double-digit mark in sacks since Otis Wilson in 1985 -- the year Chicago won its lone Super Bowl.

Capers and his 3-4 defense have historically been a perfect fit for linebackers who like to crash the pocket.

"The 3-4 definitely suits who I am and what I can do," Colvin said. "I played defensive end in college and made the conversion to linebacker. But my heart is rushing the passer, I want to get to the passer all the time. The Texans feel like I can help them out."

Last season at this time, Texans linebacker Kailee Wong seemed destined for Cleveland. But Wong, who played defensive end at Stanford before converting to linebacker for the Vikings, relished the opportunity Capers offered him to become an off-the-edge pass rusher.

Colvin, who played defensive end at Purdue, also seems intrigued by the outside linebacker slot in the 3-4. And he already sees a solid defensive unit in place.

"I know they lost Jeff Posey as their right outside linebacker," Colvin said. "I would probably come in and try to fill that void. They have a lot of talent in place -- good corners, good safeties, the linebacker crew is already excellent and the three guys they've got in front of them are excellent, too.

"I don't think I'd be the answer here but just a piece of the puzzle."

Colvin saw his share of highs and lows in Chicago. The Bears went 13-3 in 2001 and won their first division title in 12 years. But they lost at home to Philadelphia in the divisional playoffs and then plummeted to 4-12 last season. Colvin is looking to latch onto a team that is on the rise and that he can help reach the summit.

"Being with the Bears for four years and going through my different experiences there, I just want an organization that wants me," Colvin said. "If I want to be in a city, I want the organization to want me there, too. I'm looking for a team that's going in the right direction. I want to win as many games as possible and ultimately win that Super Bowl."

What next? Colvin just wants to get and make a decision.

"All my visits have been good, I've enjoyed everyone I've met," he said. "As soon as I'm able to sit down with my agent and figure out what the best situation is for me. I want to weigh my options and make sure where I'm going is where I want to be."

The Texans also entertained former Titans offensive lineman Aaron Graham Saturday. Graham handled Tennessee's long-snapping duties last season, a role he also served in Oakland in 2001. Graham started 41 games over his first three seasons as a member of the Cardinals, primarily at center.

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Wait a minute...

"Good Safeties"...

I'm sorry but we really only had one good safety and the other one is hopefully not coming back...

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Thats even pushing it a bit.

We had a safety last year and someone who was forced to play safety.

One is very average while the other shouldnt even be on the field.