1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Please Draft Kevon Looney

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Medicine N Music, May 25, 2015.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6'9 SF/PF, 7'3.5 wingspan, 9'2 standing reach (same as LaMarcus Aldridge)

He shot 41.5% on 3s last year on 1.5 attempts per game. He had 9.2 rebs in 31 minutes with 3.4 offensive rebounds per game. He has elite defensive potential even though he has average athleticism.

If you have watched these playoffs, we need spacing, rebounding, and defense at the PF spot. Looney provides ALL 3 of these. Yeah, he can't create...but it's a lot easier for others to create when defenses have to respect your PF's shot. This is why we're missing D-Mo so much right now.

We can draft a PG with the 32nd or get one in FA. I'd rather have a non-rookie PG anyway. There are plenty of PGs in this draft, but we won't sniff anyone close to Looney in the 2nd round.

Also, why is he only at #19 on draftexpress and nbadraft? I wouldn't be surprised if his stock rises before the draft.

2. basketballholic

I am with you on this one. I think he would be a primary rotation player as a rookie for us. Can't see Lyles, Portis, Decker, Payne, and Booker all going before him. So I don't really think he'll be there at 18. But if he is I'd much rather take him than a PG.

3. malakas

malakas Member

Chad ford has him at 16.
    Here's what he says :
    I don't understand why you and bballholic think that Looney will be able to immediately step in and contribute. He is one of the biggest projects.
    The reason why is in that range is this :
    Looney doesn't possess any type of post-game, lacking the strength or footwork needed to score with his back to the basket, as he hit just 8 of his 32 attempts on the year. He is just an average ball-handler when forced to create a shot for himself as well, struggling to get by power forwards due to his underwhelming first step. Most alarming is his inability to finish plays around the basket, as he converted just 52% of his shots inside the paint this year in the half-court, which is fairly poor for someone with his size and length. His lack of quickness and explosiveness limits his upside as far as the NBA is concerned, as he may be relegated to somewhat of a one-dimensional role in turn.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3bAxqU6CQ
    http://www.draftexpress.com

I see him as a young Ersan tbh. And I can see him falling pretty easilly to Houston's lap. But we still have a way to go.

4. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Capela was 2 years from being 2 years away.

Troy Daniels shot lights out last year in the playoffs.

Looney has high IQ, along with length/size, and shooting ability. These are the types of players that succeed very early on.

He may not be ready in the regular season, but by playoff time, he may be able to be in the rotation. We're not asking for him to be a star or even a starter next year.

Hopefully the rotation next year will be Dwight/Capela at C, D-Mo/Smith/Looney at PF.

5. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

BTW, we don't need Looney to be quick and explosive. If he was, he'd be a top 7 pick this year.

All we need is a PF that can stretch the floor, rebound, and play good defense. He can be a longer, better rebounding Patrick Patterson with better defense. Also, his rebounding potential is off the charts, especially on offense.

If we can get that or a Tristan Thompson with a shot, we have done well for the 18th pick.

6. basketballholic

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha,

You've got to be kidding me man. Post-Ups?!?!?!?!?!?! (Said in my best Allen Iverson "Practice!!?!?!?!"/Jim Mora "Playoffs!?!?!" voice.) You're talking about Post-Ups????!?!!!!?!?! Post-Ups!?!?!?!

Dude......we don't need post-ups from a 3/4 man. We don't want post-ups from a 4/3 man. We're not interested in post-ups man. No post-ups.

So basically you think another Terrence Jones clone would be better?!?!?!?!? You know, a PF that has a great handle and can finish really, really good..!?!?!?!?!?

Lack of quickness??!?!?! C'mon man. He's a gazelle.

Sure hope you're right about him falling to #18. But I don't see it.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Cannot see why Looney would be available at 18.
    He would be a classic Morey pick though - a highly touted high schooler who had a good freshman season, but faded as the season went on, but is young.

The upside on Looney is tremendous. He gets his shot off quickly, seems fairly accurate, and had 9.2rpg in college. Rebounds translate, and he has legit NBA size for the 4 spot.
    He is quick enough, and I don't buy the 'high hips' thing as a reason for him to fail in the NBA!!

Do NOT see him as a contributor next season, but he is well worth drafting. I do NOT see a PG in the draft who can step in and fix all that ails us, and there doesn't appear to be too much difference in talent between the PGs who figure to be available at 18, and those available at 32 (maybe 2 will be off the board by then)

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yep, wouldn't be surprised if we pick up our contributing rookie (hopefully a PG) in the 2nd round and take a flier on a guy in the first round. That's Morey's style.

9. kudos1017

kudos1017 Member

A stretch 4 is paramount in Moreyball. This is why we look so much better when Smoove is hitting from deep, and why we were so good when DMo found his shot, even when we only gave him a few post touches, despite him being elite in that area.

With that said, not convinced Looney is knockdown, when he only took 53 threes last year. The sample is extremely small, and remember thats from 3+ feet in from the NBA 3. Remember, Derrick Williams only took a couple threes a game his last year at Zona and shot 57% from 3, and 4 years into his NBA career his shot hasn't translated at all. Seems like he has good form, but would love to hear from scouts/writers that have seen him go through multiple shooting drills. He does seem like an intriguing prospect though.

10. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Great points.

Derrick Williams just didn't have the adequate wingspan/reach to play PF, and wasn't an all-world athlete like Blake Griffin. He mainly played post at Arizona, but couldn't post up bigger NBA players. Since he couldn't shoot, his career was over.

Looney mainly played on the perimeter or in high pick/role situations at UCLA. He is like the opposite of Derrick Williams in that he has no post up game. However, he can shoot, has much better length, and fits what we need him to do on both ends.

Since Looney has a defined position, an elite skill, and great length, I think he'll be at least a role player in the NBA.

11. basketballholic

Another point about Looney. He was good enough and long enough defensively to play the top in their zone. That's saying something.

But..........he also almost averaged double figure rebounds. When you consider his rebounding numbers in light of him playing at the top of the zone....they're incredible.

12. malakas

malakas Member

For every Capella there are two thousand Caboclos who don't contribute. Such high expectations...

Looney has a bad frame with narrow hips, he has limited potential athletically and he doesn't have a postgame. He isn't explosive and he can't finish well at the rim.
    And you think that he will step right in and contribute. Ok.
    I would rather get Portis than Looney if that's what I wanted.

13. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

These are good points. I wasn't saying he'll be like Capela. I touched on Capela and Daniels just to show that you can contribute after looking like a total dud in the regular season. Our program in the D-league is top notch.

Also, we're not looking for Looney to become a starter in his first season. He's just someone that can potentially take a rotation spot when someone goes down.

He is more value and upside than most at the 18th spot. Just based on his length, offensive rebounding, and shooting, he may be able to play next year. Even if he doesn't play a minute next year, if our future is Capela + D-Mo, Looney would be an excellent choice down the line due to his versatility.

If he was a sure thing to contribute next year, he'd be projected a lot higher than 16-19.

14. basketballholic

You're repeating the "narrow hips" thing from draftexpress. That means nothing. Dude can play and he's got tremendous length and athleticism along with 2 very clear NBA skills, the ability to rebound at a very high level and the ability to shoot the 3.

15. malakas

malakas Member

Ok sorry I thought you were one of those who expect all the rookies to step in and immediately contribute. Capella is like a miracle and I'm so impressed with him.
    What is the direction of the franchise? We now have reached the WCF and are close to a championship and can identify the two weak spots of the rotation. PG first and foremost and secondly PF.
    If you want to take the next step and go all in for a championship next year then you either trade all your assets for a good starter pg (and the 18th pick will be needed) or if not such a deal can be reached you a) draft a ready for NBA pf or pg that can reasonably be projected to contribute this year examples : grant payne portis hunter or b) you draft a raw best upside player with the best athletic characteristics at your spot and you use it as a trading chip later when the opportunity arises. You play him though and you try to up his value as much as possible. examples : Oubre RJH
    If you want to not go all in and take your time by contending while keep rebuilding you draft best upside available and you take your time and are patient from his mistakes because he will make a lot.

I don't know about you but I think at this point the Rockets should go all in. EIther trade for a pg or draft someone who can contribute quickly to the two positions of need.
    So I would put Portis, Hunter Payne and Grant above Looney for the Rockets.

16. basketballholic

Portis- not as athletic as Looney. Can't handle. etc. You could make a case for drafting Portis. But not over Looney

Hunter - a shooting guard who is not athletic and shot in the 30's his last year in college. Nope

Payne - another mediocre sized mediocre athlete point guard that can shoot. But will have trouble defensively at the next level. Those are a dime a dozen nowadays.

Grant - a big oversized point guard who lacks side to side movement and will struggle defending point guards, and who can't shoot. Not a fit. Sorry.

17. malakas

malakas Member

Portis is not as athletic but has better frame and is much less raw. He can already do a bit of everything is very tall for his position and is young as well. You can be certain that he will be able to contribute from year 1, as much one can be for someone drafted at that range and at his age.

Hunter you know will give you good shooting. Now I really don't like Hunter a lot but he has one elite skill that is on high demand on the team. His last year he had a shooting slump but his previous years he shot much better.

Payne is 6'2 that's about average for a pg it's not like he's a midget. Shoots excellently the 3 ball and has good range, good bball iq passing and vision. His negative is not athleticism per se but explosiveness.

Grant lacks athleticism???? Completely disagree on defensive potential. He will be a very very good defender of pgs and sgs alike. His biggest negative is his age because he's a senior and the myth of not much " untapped potential".

18. malakas

malakas Member

I would take any of these guys above Looney if I looked to stay in the draft and wanted a guy who can contribute from his rookie season instead of waiting years to develop Looney.

19. basketballholic

We're not looking for more one-way guys unless they are top of the NBA at their particular skill. Hunter is a one-way player and he won't be at the top of the NBA in shooting. There is no way we draft him unless we are drafting him for somebody else or unless we're taking a total flyer in the second round because nobody else is left that we like better at this point.

If we're after a swingman well take Justin Anderson before we'd consider Hunter.

Yes, Grant will have difficulty defending at the next level. He's too slow laterally. Too many quick point guards in the NBA. He's another O.J. Mayo except he can't shoot.

Payne can't defend at the point of attack either. And there's a ton of offensive minded point guards that we can get for the minimum that can replicate or do more than he will be able to do next season for us.

Portis is no more ready to help us than Looney is. And Looney is the much better long-term prospect. Looney has the 3-ball and he can rebound. Those are skills that translate....almost immediately. I'm convinced Looney would make his way into our primary rotation by the end of the season after starting the year at RGV. Don't think he could be held out for longer than past the All-Star break before it was obvious he had to be in the rotation.

20. malakas

malakas Member

Funny that you said Oj Mayo. It so happens that he is one of best defensive wings this year. (lmao I was shocked when I saw it) which shows that a good defensive scheme can overcome such deficiencies.
    Again the dillema take a very raw like Looney who may have higher ceiling but chacnes are won't help for 1 -2 years or take someone like Grant who you can pair next to Harden or have him come off the bench and he can play both the 1 and the 2 but may have a lower ceiling?

I also do NOT like Hunter. Like at all. I'm torn between him being a good shooter who had no help and had to face double teams , or him being an inefficient chucker who had the help of his coach father. But I know what I will get from him. Shooting. And Shooting is always needed. It becomes more and more apparent.
    Three years ago MKG was drafted second. Now the new MKG clone RHJ will be happy to get in the top 20. Teams value shooting. It's the most translatable skill and the rookie likely contributes and brings you wins. Hunter may not be Booker but has the potential to be an average to good defender.