1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Curry in hand-check era

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by PJ86, May 23, 2015.

1. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Just watched ESPN first take and they mentioned the record of Reggie with 58 threes in 22 games in the play-offs. Curry has 57 in only 12 games! That's crazy and he has shattered plenty of shooting records and about to get more. and some proclaiming best shooter in the game ever. I do not disagree as far as his ability to shoot the ball, but I do want to see how people feel Curry would've faired with all the pressure and hand-checking that a Reggie Miller, Bird, Dale Ellis, Abdul-Rauf or even his own father had to deal with. Would that have made much of a difference?

2. PJ86

PJ86 Member

To add to my point: Abdul-Rauf is hands down the best shooter in NCAA history, but once in the NBA had maybe a handful of great shooting games per season. You could see the pressure got to him as well as for his father, because arguably Dell Curry, Abdul-Rauf and Steph have the quickest release and purest shot I've ever seen.

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

No. Steph would have adjusted. They just didn't shoot as many threes in those days, didn't see it as a preferred weapon as players do now. So when many players see it as a 1st option nowadays, it's only natural that the most talented and skilled could do better at shooting threes than players in an era that didn't focus on the shot did.

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Also, his numbers would be lower, but he would probably still put up the greatest shooting numbers and be the greatest shooter of all time, just not by as much.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

It would make some difference, especially when it comes to his penetration, but he'd still be an all time shooter.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I've never seen anyone shot as efficiently, at volume, whether guarded or on the move. To that end, he's the best ever.

If someone wants to make an argument helping support to older generation, it is this - they just didn't focus on the shot as much.

Steph grew up idolizing players like Reggie. As did many others in the current generation. Reggie grew up idolizing... well, not 3 point shooters. To that end, Reggie is the more "groundbreaking" player. The fact that his playoff record is just now being broken says something, to me.

Certainly no one is arguing Steph to be an all time all time greatest player ever, or super clutch player, or most on-fire player ever. MJ or Larry Legend would have been similarly dangerous if they grew up perfecting said shot...

But they didn't, so the crown will go to Curry, especially with a few more seasons like this.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he's the best ever. It's not like you have a lot more guys shooting above 40% than you did 15 years ago. It's about the same.

And Curry didn't lead the league in 3 point shooting percentage either. What makes him great is that he can hit from so many different places and off the dribble under pressure. He is the best shooter I've ever seen, better than Ray Allen and Reggie Miller who were probably the two best (and tied for that probably) in the game.

Curry is better than both of them. If he continues he will be the greatest shooter in NBA history.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Curry is the best shooter period, and hand checks really wouldn't effect him much because he doesn't go to the rim. He dribbles around screens and takes shots from everywhere on the court. He would get injured more than he has already though because they would play very physical with him.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It would have made a difference, but he would have still been great.

DD

10. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Yeah, that's what I figured, everybody on the same page, good to see :)

/ End thread

11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

He doesn't handle physicality well and thus I doubt he would have been a star player in that era. His 3-point shooting would not have been as good because he would have focused more on his defense and penetration.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I have to say he benefits greatly from the current era of offense-friendly rules, and I agree with those who say he doesn't deal that well with physical defense (in the few microseconds that it's ever allowed these days).

It's hard for me to view him objectively anymore though, TBH. I used to really cheer for him, but this ESPN/NBA worship of the guy is just so disgusting that I'm ready for him to fall flat.

1 person likes this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The hand check era would be difficult for him no doubt, but the Glove would have been to guard him with relative ease even without hand checking. And the Supersonics at their peak, would have little trouble beating the current GSW's.

14. basketballholic

agree with your point about Abdur-Rauf. Although he was much better as Chris Jackson. Up until Steph, Chris Jackson was the quickest, purest stroke I ever saw.

I think the problem with him was he got sidetracked from basketball with the religious thing. Curry has shown to be much more focused on basketball. While the rules may make some difference, perhaps Curry would have lost a couple percentage points on his shooting numbers with all the contact, his shot is quick enough and pure enough that he'd still be the best shooter I've ever seen. The testament to that is how many times he knocks down the long ball while getting fouled and how many 3's he nails when he is off balance or fading away in one direction or another. The dude is incredible. And he'd be great in any basketball time period.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

Curry's defense would have devastating in the hand-check era.

16. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Starks or Oakley on the Knicks would have fouled him so hard for flopping that he'd think twice about showboating like he does out there now.

Vernon Maxwell would eat this guy...Derek Harper would put he clamps on him...McHale would Rambis him on a fast break & the Bad Boy Pistons would've snapped him in half.

He'd be relegated to a great spot up shooter, a Mark Price or Reggie Miller type player.

Almost left out Payton & X-man...

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He would have been considerably less effective IMO. I think he would still be a great player but I don't feel confident saying he would make all-star teams over Payton, Stockton, KJ or Kidd.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But he's not really a penetrator anyway

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He would be ineffective in the pre-flagrant foul era.

20. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

He wouldn't be able to hang with the "big boys". Remember Curry is just 6'2-6'3 with shoes.

Glove, Michael Jordan, Bruce Bowen, Dumars hell even the lower tiers Dennis Johnson, Jason Kidd, even Stockton/Starks would have done a decent job on him during that era. Don't forget there's a reason why Memphis was up 2-1 when Tony Allen was playing (and not injured) but imagine him playing with no hand-check rule. Curry would've crumbled/vanished into oblivion.

Also people forget Reggie Miller was 6'7 and had a long wingspan thus making his shot un-guard-able. Curry doesn't have the height nor the wingspan to be able to shoot "over" the defenders above. He uses the hand-check rule to his advantage.

In the end, if you can put a body/check/be physical with Stephen Curry he turns into his father Dell Curry (with better handles/vision) which means no MVP and possibly an all-star player due to all the assists he would be getting.