1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rumors/Speculation] Gasol on the move?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Garner, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Garner

Garner Member

Don't know if anyone tuned into the Herd this morning, but there was a lot of Gasol chatter after Mike D'Antoni all but said Pau Gasol does not fit in his system and is being shopped around.

Two deals were speculated:

The first, Bargnani + Derozan for Gasol. This one doesn't make a ton of sense (ok, any at all considering Derozan's aggregious contract).

The second, was Iggy for Pau straight up. Denver came into the conversation because of Bill Simmon's comments during a call off-air.

I tinkered with the trade Machine a bit with Denver in mind and settled on:

Gallinari
    W. Chandler
    Fournier

for

P. Gasol

Surely, Morey has his hands in here somewhere.

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Lakers are in a similar situation as the Knicks are with amare (albeit, an easier one since Gasol has the more manageable contract and is the better player). Right now, with that contract and his age, I can't envision a trade where the Lakers get better or don't take back another big contract (although with the Lakers' history who knows).

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

Fiddled around, what do you think of this trade:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c4vwajh

It's not your typical Laker deal, but IMO it's the most likely and it gives the Lakers what they need: salary relief and replaces Gasol with a good complimentary piece with a manageable contract.

4. 713

713 Member

Gasol for Cousins.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Bingo! Amar'e / Gasol. Two winners; two losers.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I surely hope not.

7. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Gasol and Artest for Amar'e, Shumpert, and Brewer.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

LOL, not gonna happen.

9. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

Who's the good complementary piece in that deal? Gooden??

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, Gooden's not a terrible player, and I think he'd do well- not great- but well playing alongside Dwight Howard. And, more importantly, he saves the Lakers big money.

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

Lakers wouldn't do this; Brewer and Shumpert aren't a big enough upgrade from Artest to warrant taking in a worse player on a worse contract.

12. izeroi

izeroi Member

Not sure how serious anyone would be in picking him up at the moment. Looks like his knees have been hurting him with tendinitis since preseason and they aren't letting up.

13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

The only way I see the Rockets getting involved in Pau is if they deem DMo as our future 4 and want him to be groomed by the player in the NBA with the most similar body and skill set.

14. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, Gasol doesn't fit because he's a low-post player, so they trade him for another low post player...

What they need is a guy who can stretch the floor. PPat would actually be a great fit, but there'd need to be other value included.

15. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Well, I can't careless wherever he goes but not to Houston. I really hope Morey doesn't go for him. The Lakers are trying to move Pau for a reason and they've been trying to move him since the beginning of last season.

Pau Gasol has been on the downwards of his career right now. He's not going to get better or close to where he used to be 3 years ago. His game is on a decline and its declining fast. Sure he was an All Star but that was the past. He's no longer aggressive and has become really soft and settles for a lot of jump shots.

Honestly, I doubt the Lakers would get much for him. It don't really make any sense for any teams to trade away good young players for Pau. Unless they are trying to win now and their window is closing quick, then maybe so but other then that, he's no longer valuable. He won't impact the game that much and has been incredibly inconsistent.

This one, I really hope Morey just stay away from. Pau probably have 2-3 more years of getting worse and worse before he retires from the NBA. His brother Marc has surpassed him a long time ago...

16. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Please not Boston, please not Boston, please not Boston...

17. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

cool. i was thinking about the Bucks/Gasol a few days ago for some reason, and i ended up with something similar.
    But I think Ilyasova would be the guy (instead of Gooden). If Ilyasova gets back closer to his previous level (likely), he's a perfect fit for D'Antoni system.
    Big tax cut, youth, athleticism, fit, it seems to make sense.

Re Toronto: Bargnani+Calderon. DeRozan actually looks like he could live up to his deal right now (he's used much better, and his effort is much better), so I don't think the Raptors would give him. And I don't think the Lakers would ask too hard (tax).

18. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I remember Aldridge suggested the Lakers do a 3 way between themselves, Timberwolves, and the Wizards. Finally send Gasol to Minny; Lakers would get some decent roleplayers.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's the Lakers. They'll find some way to get the much better end of whatever deal they do.

20. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

Nobody wants anyone on this team... except for Harden...

and Rox aint giving him up anytime soon